Cooling Palm

I have found the perfect thing for cooling my palm candles - so far only cooled the containers - the blue plastic ice cube trays. I was making one couple nights ago and did not want to get out dish drain I use (turned upside down) and saw my plastic ice cube trays and decided to try one. Cooled perfectly - perfect crystalizing from bottom to top. Just thought I would share in case anyone would like to try it.:smiley2:

Are you suppose to cool palm slow or fast? What would be the advantage of the trays?

Palm, especially the GGlow should be cooled slowly for the crystallized pattern to continue throughout the candle.

As you can see, the pink candle cooled too quickly because the pattern stopped about an inch from the top.

I cooled both on a cooling rack, but covered the green candle with a cloth.

post-3991-139458439986_thumb.jpg

post-3991-1394584400_thumb.jpg

Palm, especially the GGlow should be cooled slowly for the crystallized pattern to continue throughout the candle.

As you can see, the pink candle cooled too quickly because the pattern stopped about an inch from the top.

I cooled both on a cooling rack, but covered the green candle with a cloth.

[ATTACH]14289[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14288[/ATTACH]

So how could a cooling rack or the ice trays help with the slow cooling. I was thinking about cooling in a warm water bath or a box with all the candles touching to keep each other warm.

From what I understand, the cooling rack prevents the bottom from cooling to quickly and covering the candle with a box, etc slows down the total cooling process.

I have never had to cover mine completely while cooling. The cooling rack and cloth on top does the trick for me.

Others who have posted have to cover with box, etc to slow down the cooling process.

I cooled directly on a counter top without the rack. The counter was cool and absorbed the heat away from the candle. Got no crystalization on the bottom inch of the jar.

Haven't had a problem using the rack - even 1/2' rise above the surface makes the crystals form.

I have never covered mine either. Just made sure they were on a rack - in my case the upside down dish drain until I discovered the ice cube trays. Always made sure they cooled in a warm room, in summer turn air off and in cold weather be sure heat is real warm. I like Lisa's idea though of putting a cloth over them. I will have to try that next time.

Having used many types of palm wax, I have observed that it has repeating crystal patterns. I am suspecting that the top "line" on Glass Glow candles may not have as much to do with cooling as it does with the pattern beginning to repeat at that point. I plan to test this in the near future by pouring into containers of differing heights and measuring the width of the pattern to see where it begins to repeat.

Having used many types of palm wax, I have observed that it has repeating crystal patterns. I am suspecting that the top "line" on Glass Glow candles may not have as much to do with cooling as it does with the pattern beginning to repeat at that point. I plan to test this in the near future by pouring into containers of differing heights and measuring the width of the pattern to see where it begins to repeat.

I have not actually tested in tall containers to prove the repeat pattern theory but have concluded from my testing that cooling slowly top to bottom prevents the pattern from stopping.

Example:

Here the pattern begins to

smooth out near the top.

[ATTACH]14294[/ATTACH]

Here the pattern continues

throughout the candle.

[ATTACH]14293[/ATTACH]

post-3991-139458440007_thumb.jpg

post-3991-139458440009_thumb.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I think slow, even cooling DOES have a lot to do with it - I just don't think that's the whole story. I noticed that the ones that were poured higher (the second photo) over the shoulder of the container didn't show the beginning of the "line" whereas the first one, poured to just under the shoulder, did begin to show it. I have been pouring Glass Glow in 8 oz. Metro Jars and noticed that the ones poured more shallowly don't have the "line." Might be significant, or it might be coincidence - I'm not sure. I didn't pour the ones I am comparing at at the same time, and noticed this in passing, so I want to test this in some tall, straight sided containers to see if my theory holds water or should join some of my other "bright ideas" in the garbage can. :laugh2:

BTW, WONDERFUL pattern on those candles!! :drool:

You think maybe the thickness of the glass would have an effect on it? My 10oz apoth jar pattern all the way to the top and my little 5-6oz tumblers which are very thick glass and thicker bottom pattern is iffy at the top and bottom. I think all of Lisa's always look very pretty. I find I have better results with my apothecary jars than anything else I have poured in. The hex jar like Lisa's picture always make a real pretty pattern. Just a thought:confused:

I am going to try the cloth on my next ones though

Thanks for the info Jakalex. The photo of the crystalization smoothing out near the top is very similar to what I saw at the bottom of the one I cooled directly on the counter.

Tried the cloth recommendation and it works great! :highfive: