wicking a 3 1/8" diam jar

I came accross these cute squatty little 5oz apoth jars that measure 3 1/8" diam. Has anyone had any luck single wicking this size jar using 415 pure soy? I'm not against double wicking if necessary. Any wicking suggestions as a starting point with this size jar would be greatly appreciated.

TIA:)

Thanks Jenn, I have lots of CD's on hand, I'll try a 20 or 22 in this jar and see what happens.

I have some 2 5/8" diam tins that I tried wicking with a CD18, using GB415 with candlescience pumpkin souffle at 7%...I had lots of hang up and the wick fizzled out during the second burn. I was okay with not getting pumpkin souffle wicked...when burning, it smelled burnt...yuck, made me gag...so I decided to make tarts with it instead...much better scent throw without the wick.

Getting back to my 3 1/8" diam jar, if I need to double wick this jar with CD's, what would you sugest I start with? I have a feeling this jar might need to be double wicked...

Although I've read otherwise on this board, I have to wick UP on tins, so it doesn't surprise me that you'd have trouble with a tin.

I double wick a 4" apoth with 2 CD-12 for light fo's and 2 CD-14's for heavier bakery type scents. I'n not sure on that size, maybe 8 or 10?

I found the need to wick up with tins also. My last test with CD's in a 6oz tin was with a CD20...still wasn't impressed with the results. I've been reading how others suggest to wick down with tins because they get hotter than glass...I got discouraged and gave up on tins...at least for now.

Hopefully I'll have better luck with my new little jars.

Thanks again for your suggestions:smiley2:

I use the 3-1/8" tins and am able to wick most scents with single CDs ranging from CD-14 to CD-18. Some heavy scents leave hang-up with the CD-18, and I'm experimenting with double wicking those. I'm not sure if the burn is different for glass jars and metal tins with the same diameter; I need to do some testing. Does anybody have experience on the two?

I find that the glass jars I use (heavy 8 oz. widemouth canning jars) retain more heat than the 6 oz. deep tins.

That has been my experience also. The molded/heavier glass jars that I have used do seem to retain more heat than the tins. I'm getting some CDN's from JBN, I like the idea of these wicks being more resistant to the acidic properties of natural waxes.

CDNs are not a wicking panacea, but they have been very reliable for us. They have some drawbacks - they burn off-center and tend to mushroom a bit during power burns and with some FOs (...but what wick doesn't?!!). The off-center burn can be ameliorated by twisting the wick, or simply recentering the wick as it burns. Most customers aren't going to bother, so now I twist wicks.

Hope they work out well for you. :D

One of the jars I use is the same diam 3 1/8", but mine is 10 oz and CD18 or CD20 worked well with most scents. CD20 on Pumpkin Souffle (yuk, so sick of this scent!) and some of the vanilla scents.

I love making tarts or wickless with pumpkin souffle. However, when I add a burning wick to this scent, it smells like something burnt...made me sick :(