Question about shipping to Canada

izzy2

I recently ordered some supplies from another US supplier and when the goods were delivered to my door I had to pay another $23 CDN on top of the $35 that I already paid for the goods. Is this for duty/customs? Whenever I order from Peaks I don't pay anything extra. I know Allan does something so that we don't have to pay the extra. Will other suppliers do this? If someone sent privately would I still have to pay the duties? I want to order some apothecary jars that I can't get from a supplier in Canada (the ones with the metal lids) but if I end up having to pay a lot more for duty etc it's not worth it. Can anyone chime in here?

Was it sent by USPS or FedEx/UPS?

FedEx & UPS charge brokerage fees to bring it across the border. Canada Post/USPS do not charge them. Canada Post collects duty/taxes and they charge a $5.00 admin fee. You would still have to pay the duty & tax no matter which way it was sent, however, it usually is MUCH cheaper to have it sent USPS. If it is marked as a *gift* you do not have to pay either duty or taxes, however Canada Customs has the right to open any package and if it's found that it really isn't a gift, my understanding is it can be a hassle for both you and the company who sent it.

I will not order from a company who won't ship USPS...those damn brokerage fees are just too high!!

HTH,

Hah. what timing....going thru this now. Sent some stuff to Canada via FEG. You HAVE to have an account and do the process on-line when going to Canada, they wont do it at the FE depot...no mention on-line of brokerage fees, etc, till the buyer gets the bill!!! $30 for ground shipping and now they want $64 more for fees, $33 of which is a BROKERAGE FEE!! What crap.

FYI...if the buyer doesn't pay it, they come back on the shipper per thier reg's and will hold the shipper responsible :undecided.

This is exactly why I refuse to have anything shipped anything BUT USPS when coming from the states. I got a huge UPS brokerage bill once (Over $200 for a product valued at $10) I fought it and won, but it was still the scariest thing ever and I will NEVER do it again. I've found most people will mark it as a gift (i've had them opened at the border and never had a problem) and I only seem to have to pay taxes on stuff about 1/2 the time. But definitely only have stuff shipped USPS

Whenever I order from Peaks I don't pay anything extra. I know Allan does something so that we don't have to pay the extra.

I always have to pay at least $22 to the post office, when I order from Peak.

Alan does mark it as a gift, but customs open it anyway and see's the total on the receipt and charges me 15 percent tax plus $5 for the post office. I never order from anyone that sends it by UPS or FED-X. I got a golf club off of e-bay and was charged $58 at the door. Sometimes packages do slip through the cracks and I don't have to pay anything. Oh happy day...lol:yay: