Glass blowing

lbtddr

Glass blowing has any one tried it i have a son who would like to but from reading i can not tell what all you have to have some places they say you have a kiln to bake it in. does not sound like it would cost to much with out one.

My ex-husband and myself used to own a business glass blowing and flameworking. It's a lot of fun and I still do it as a hobby!

Yes, you do really need to own a kiln. You need it to anneal.

Now, is he interested in "glass blowing" where you actually blow into a tube to create a hollow sculpture or, is he referring to flameworking, where you use glass rods and stringers to create the soild sculpture? People tend to confuse the two.

If he's interested in glass blowing, do a google search for glass blowing lessons in your area. This is not a hobby that I would recommend as a "teach yourself" thing.

Flameworking is a different story. He can easily teach himself to flamework or do lampwork. In fact, you can pick up a basic kit from Hobby Lobby for $100. It is actually a "glass bead making kit" but, it has all the same materials in it that would be needed for other projects.

Personally, I would have him start with that kit. It will teach him that nature of the medium and basic technique. I would also have him make a few beads. Beads are basic and he will feel instant gratification from it. Plus, you won't need a kiln right away. He can anneal the bead in the flame. The kit uses MAPP gas, which can be bought at any hardware store. You will also need to buy a pair of UV goggles for eye protection.

Well, that's really all I can think of off hand. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.:)

Aria that was great information!!!

I have dreamed of blowing glass since I visited Corning about a zillion years ago. We lived an hour from there so I've gone often.

But it's like my fantasy of learning to play the violin - fun to dream but ain't going no where. The flameworking sounds more do-able - someday.

Aria that was great information!!!

I have dreamed of blowing glass since I visited Corning about a zillion years ago. We lived an hour from there so I've gone often.

But it's like my fantasy of learning to play the violin - fun to dream but ain't going no where. The flameworking sounds more do-able - someday.

Flameworking is alot of fun! I personally LOVE flameworking! I feel that you can do more. It's never the same old projects. Everything is new and interesting. I have to tell you...it's a very interesting hobby! My favorite thing to make is cake toppers for weddings!! I love that a little bit of me helps to make someone's big day special! It feels good!!:)

Lampworking is on my hot list (no pun intended!) - I want to make some kool little things and beads. My only hangup is that I am...ummm... askeered of tanks - even small ones.:rolleyes2 I think what I'll do when I am ready is just sit with a torch and light it over and over again until I stop flinching when it lights up and goes "woof." I break out into a sweat when I have to light a Coleman lantern, for Pete's sake. :rolleyes2

I would love to blow a big bowl just one good time, but am not sure I have the lungpower to do so and I don't think I could hang out for long next to a hellhole (despite living in Hades).

Check with local colleges to see if they have a glass depsrtment. Many teach extra-curricular classes in glass blowing. Beadmaking and lampworking classes are easier to locate via stained glass studios in your area.

CAKETOPPERS for WEDDINGS! What a great project! I never thought of that!! I'll bet that is a LOT of fun and a treasure for the folks who receive them! :) I still have a couple of tiny glass vases I watched a lampworker make in a shopping center when I was like 5... Fell in love and promised myself ONE FINE DAY...;):D Now, if I can just get over being a torch wuss...:rolleyes2

Do you weld also, Aria?

Lampworking is on my hot list (no pun intended!) - I want to make some kool little things and beads. My only hangup is that I am...ummm... askeered of tanks - even small ones.:rolleyes2 I think what I'll do when I am ready is just sit with a torch and light it over and over again until I stop flinching when it lights up and goes "woof." I break out into a sweat when I have to light a Coleman lantern, for Pete's sake. :rolleyes2

I still do that too! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

As for the lampworking/flameworking whatever ya call it. We have that Hobby Lobby kit in my shop. Neither of us have had the nerve to try it yet, but we're thinking maybe this week.

lbtddr: If you want to save a bit, use the 40% off coupon HL has online right now. That's how I afforded the kit when I got it.

Yes, I can weld too.:cheesy2: I'm a jack of all trades!

There' s nothing to be afraid of! As long as you know fire safety (All you candles makers out there) you'll be fine! Of course resist the urge to touch the glass with you hands too! Believe it or not, that's the hardest part!!:cheesy2: Use the torch in a well ventilated room and don't be pointing it at you curtains. Ohhh...and WEAR YOUR EYE PROTECTION!!

I'm here if you have any questions!! I love to help others learn the craft!

There' s nothing to be afraid of!

I know - It's a fear based on no reason and very little experience working around tanks and stuff. That's why I think the first tank I get will be used up by repeated lighting over and over and over again until I stop flinching like a little girl...:embarasse Fire noises in general scare me, but I still light 'em... ;)

I have friends who cannot bear to see me working stained glass because (as one said) they can't stand even SEEING the wicked shards... Go figger... :rolleyes2

Just because something is scary doesn't mean ya can't learn to live with it! I have claustrophobia, but that didn't stop me from going down, down, down in that awful stainless steel elevator, sweating, seeing stars, and through the tunnels to get under Niagra Falls! I wanted to SEE it and there was only ONE way to do it, so I just sucked up the claustrophobia, held on to the wall and got to see and FEEL that breathtaking sight!!

Did I mention that I don't even remember going back up? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:My last recollection is standing on the observation platform with all that water crashing around me and my husband beckoning me from the mouth of the tunnel telling me "It's time to GO!" *faint*

I DO have to learn this, though. My son welds but doesn't have a machine right now and I need some welding for other stuff that I do... I figger I can kill two birds with one stone by learning beadmaking and easing myself into the big tank stuff. ;)

I took a lampwork bead class through the local parks and rec a couple summers ago. very fun. unfortunately the class only allows about 10 people and there is always a wait-somehow I lucked out that time around!!

I enjoyed it though! Would suggest you do that before you buy a bunch of supplies-as us obsessive compulsive ppl know-hobbies can waste a lot of money-especially if once try it-don't like it!!

Is the glass expensive and readily available, like at craft stores? I know it was said that the kit is at Hobby lobby, but there isn't one around here. I only have a Jo Annes and a Ben Franklin's locally, and a Michaels about 1 1/2 hours away. I've been interested in this for a long time but living in the boonies makes some hobbies difficult to get supplies for. I've never seen these items locally. THey may be at Michaels, never looked. TIA

Is the glass expensive and readily available, like at craft stores? I know it was said that the kit is at Hobby lobby, but there isn't one around here. I only have a Jo Annes and a Ben Franklin's locally, and a Michaels about 1 1/2 hours away. I've been interested in this for a long time but living in the boonies makes some hobbies difficult to get supplies for. I've never seen these items locally. THey may be at Michaels, never looked. TIA

The brand that HL carries is Fireworks. I googled it and Joann has it online so they may have it in their stores too. I would think anyone ho carries the kit should carry extra glass rods too.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2217&PRODID=prd53634

I saw a gentlemen at a Florida flea market using the glass rods to make personalized names designs that set on a desk or table and adding a design of choice to it, like a bird, frog, etc.. They had people standing in line. Looked like they were making a killing! I think they were charging around

$15 or more (so much per letter).

I use to know lots of glass blowers and spinners from the old days but never see them in the malls making the stuff anymore. I wonder if the insurance rates are sky high for them because of the big gas tanks they use. Would make it hard to come out ahead. I do see lots of the imported spun glass in the mall at Christmas time but its not the same.

There was on older man set up at a mall in KC when I was carving candles that said he wanted to teach me and offered to take my up to MI and take training, but I was just too young and had my plate full with candles, cars and girls (not in that order) so I declined. He had a son that was not interested in learning and he wanted to train someone so the art could be passed on, but I wasn't sure that was all he wanted to try to pass along.... crazy old farts you never know about them. ;)

Would have been a fantastic deal if I would have felt right about, but I didn't so that was that.

Bruce

Bruce, you are right! The insurance is KILLER!! Plus, the malls have to strict fire codes. My ex and I had to leave many of our sites that we had for years because of the codes. It is a dying trade!!

The money was GREAT though. Even with all of our over head and travel, we still came up on top. I'll put it to you this way, everyone loves a "show" and are willing to pay for it. People would place custom orders just to see us work. Because of the novelty, we'd only work 6 months a year and made enough money to live the other 6 months without worries. (Let's just say that I spent money as I pleased) Once the fire codes got more strict, the insurance went up and the money became less and less. Needless to say, I don't do shows anymore. I am now a stay at home mother who does cutom orders for cake toppers once in a while.