Best Starter Kit?

I started with a kit from Cierra Candles. Came with some IGI 4616, some FO, some hex jars, and some 51z. I had a ball playing with it. I had no idea what I was doing, but I sure had fun doing it. It got my feet wet, but I did not end up using that wax or those jars, so it was more for experience than anything else. Those candles threw like the dickens, but had the BLACKEST soot I have ever seen. LOL

A starter kit, though, is a great way to find out if candle making is for you or not. You'll know right off if you love it or loathe it. :D

ETA: Peak has great starter kits. www.peakcandle.com

I got my first at www.cierracandles.com

I, like a fool, didn't buy a starter kit and bought everything piece meal and from all over the place. I wasted a lot of money...but I learned alot. Almost three years later I know what I like to do, I have the equipment, the molds and more FO's than I will probably ever be able to use.

What I suggest is that you decide on what type of candle you want to make, pillars, containers, or votives. Then purchase a kit for that particular type from a supplier that is closest to you to save on shipping cost, as they can be quite high if they have to be shipped very far. Once you've found a supplier, ask someone on the board if they are a reputable supplier and other questions such as quality of products, are the prices reasonable and what kind of customer service they have. When you order your kit, be sure that it has everything you will need to make your candles. You will probably need additional equipment such as thermometer, pour pot, scale, molds or containers, double boiler or a presto pot, etc. I'm not sure what the kits come with since I never purchased one. Just thought you might need to know a few more things besides just getting the kit...maybe not. Good luck to you and happy chandling!

Yup, when comparing prices, take note of what the kit does and does not have. None of them will come with a scale but some will have just about everything else. For example the one sold by Peak even comes with molds, melting pot and thermometer, and all you would need to buy is a scale, and provide your own saucepan to put the melting pot in.

Well I wasted money on some kits, but 10 years ago it was Candle Magic stuff that I was playing with. It wasn't long till I got away from that stuff and found a few suppliers. Like Fern, I bought a lot of stuff separately and wasted a lot of money in the process, but it happens lol! Supplier places are good places to look for these kits as they'll usually come with almost everything you need and quality FOs (just not enough of them lol!) Pick what you would like to learn first and start there. When you feel you've got it down, then move on to the next thing or you'll spend a lot of money and not have a lot of time to do everything and do it well.

Thank you. Peak should be paying ya'll. I just bought their container starter kit. I can't wait for the truck to pull up:D

Then again I have a short temper so there may be wax flying across the kitchen. Hopefully not:laugh2: