Question about milk soaps...

pjb31apb

I have been reading about how a batch of soap can overheat with goat milk and honey. I am able to get that old fashioned cream topped milk and I am curious if I used that kind of milk (whole milk of course) would I run the risk of overheating my soap too? I won't be making a milk soap for my first batch but I am wondering because I know that once I start making it, I won't be able to stop so I thought I would ask now instead of posting a disaster story. LOL TIA

anything that adds sugar to the mix will contribute to the possibility of overheating. all milk contains sugar (usually lactose, unless you drink lactaid LOL!).

so the short answer is yes. but it's manageable as are all milk soaps - it just takes some experimenting on your part.

Thanks CareBear. I figured as much. I just didn't know that it was the sugar that caused it. For some reason I was thinking that it was the milk fat content that caused it. I guess I am showing off my newness. Anyhoo, I am still excited about when I try it because it is from a local farmer who sells daily in my apartment building. That whole local community thing really gets me excited.

Off topic, I am so glad you all are here and willing to share so freely. I have talked to a couple of soapers in my area and they always seemed suspicious and wary. I guess I can understand that because they are also selling their product, but sheesh! They don't have to be so rude you would have thought I walked up to them and asked them for their recs and business plans! It is soaping not a national secret!

Whenever you make milk soap it is best to freeze the milk, and then add the lye to the frozen milk. Once the soap is at trace and in the mold, go ahead and stick it in the freezer for awhile so it does not go crazy on you. That should prevent your lye mixture from turning a hideous orange and prevent your soap from overheating in the mold.

I used to get fresh milk straight from the dairy. Unfortunately the owners wife got cancer, and he closed down the dairy to care for her.

I found that if I put this cream rich milk into a soap, that I had little lumps of saponified cream through out the soap. I have found it better to use homogonised milk, (it is almost impossible to get all the cream off the top of fresh milk), and add cream just before trace. It seem to disperse better that way and no lumpy's.

Just my experiences.

Tracey