How to keep bubble bars from browning?

bunkie68

Is there anything that works? I've tried the vanilla browning neutralizer from WSP, and while it has kept the browning at bay, it leaves a chemical smell behind even though I used it as directed. The addition of the extra liquid also changes the recipe enough that it's a lot squishier and takes a lot longer to firm up to where it doesn't crumble at a touch. I'm trying to tweak the amounts of other ingredients to counteract that, but haven't gotten it just so yet (and for all I know, I may never get it just so). So I'm not wild about it. Has anyone tried anything else to keep bubble bars from turning brown? I know it can be done, I've seen bubble bars that have vanilla notes in the scent and they aren't brown at all. Any help would be appreciated! :)

The ones I made never turned brown, but I also didn't use any FO with vanilla notes to it. It's been about a month now and the white parts are still white.

Isn't the shelf life of bubble bars like what... two months? Maybe all bubble bars eventually turn brown... the longer they sit...

I've never tried the browning neutralizer... is it a thin liquid or thick? Do you have to add it to the FO? How much of the neutralizer do you have to use for it to work?

Maybe try adding some gold mica to your bubble bars to give it more eye appeal, gold and brown look good together. LOL :D

I guess everything I've tried has vanilla notes in it, then. :D I did make some using violet lime that were OK, but most of the scents I like and that are being ordered seem to turn quickly - like within a day or two.

Maybe the gold mica *is* my best bet. LOL

The neutralizer is a thin liquid, and it's mixed in with the wet ingredients for the bubble bars (so what, FO and glycerin? I'm not looking at my recipe right now, so don't remember if there's another liquid in there). I'm not looking at the directions right now, but I read them before using and for my bubble bar recipe, I used one ounce of neutralizer.

Yep, you can't stray from brown bubble bars unless you ditch the vanilla fragrances. Even over months they'll freckle and eventually turn on you.

So how in the world do companies I've ordered from make bubble bars in scents like lavender vanilla and not have them turn? :confused: I was hoping there was some great secret ingredient I just didn't know about. :laugh2: If I add color to my bubble bars, they turn kind of swirly brown, not completely brown, but still...brown.

Only on the outside, though, at least at first - when I break one apart, it's still the right color on the inside. Maybe if I make them and wrap them really quickly, it will at least slow the browning?

So how in the world do companies I've ordered from make bubble bars in scents like lavender vanilla and not have them turn? :confused: I was hoping there was some great secret ingredient I just didn't know about. :laugh2: If I add color to my bubble bars, they turn kind of swirly brown, not completely brown, but still...brown.

Only on the outside, though, at least at first - when I break one apart, it's still the right color on the inside. Maybe if I make them and wrap them really quickly, it will at least slow the browning?

Bunkiebabe... what kind of coloring are you using? I used powdered oxides when I did mine. Just mixed it in with the dry ingredients, incorporated with a whisk to break up any clumps before adding the liquid ingredients.

Don't know how the companies you buy from are keeping them from turning... maybe some other kind of stabalizer? Not sure... Hmmm....

Told ya... invest in gold mica... lmao If you can't beat'em... join'em. :P

When I use coloring with my vanilla scents I do see them turn this hideous spotty brown color. So I just don't color those anymore. And I mix and smoosh them up really well so all the FO mixes. I also put my fragrance in my glycerin/coco betaine mixture so it is totally mixed instead of pouring it into the powdered part.

• 1 year later...

I too had the same problem every one turns brown.. unless there is absolutely no vanilla...

I wonder to how others do it, sometimes I wonder if they really don't have vanilla perhaps.. you could make lemon pie... just by adding lemon and the mind would think it smells pie..:P

But I know some of those lush bars smell like vanilla like the creamy candy if there is no vanilla then what is it?

I have the creamy candy dupe from daystar and it turned the bubble bar brown :sad2:

I wish someone knew the answer to this one I've been wondering for around 5 years....:rolleyes2