I messed up--how to fix?

I am trying to make two simply candles for my mom for Christmas. I have some supplies left over so she can make some of her own as well if she wants. All stuff was bought at Michaels....so it's not the greatest but it works, I suppose.

I poked holes int he top like I was supposed to after a skin had formed, and then I added some more wax on top...but they only cooled for aobut three hours before I went to bed. Seemed solid, though. This morning, I find that they kind of caved in....

2129815056_54430d9ea3.jpg?v=0

How should I fix this? I was thinking I should heat it up with a heat gun, then add a little more wax. Hopefully I can get it melted enough to straighten the wick? I should have left them in a warmer place, it got down inthe 60's in my room where they sat. :(

I would remelt and repour I am not so sure you could straighten the wick at this point and be sure that it is straight. Make sure your wick is secured at the top till totally cooled. Even after the repour leave it secured over night.

To remelt just set in an oven on warm for a bit and the just pour back in your pot, clean your containers up and start over. That will take less time than trying to fight with it now.

If remelting is that simple, that's what I'll try I suppose.

I should support the wick so I don't lose it in the wax, right? Or should I let it fall in and fishit out later? What temperature should i put it in at? Something like 150? And, should I just let it melt enough that I can get it out, or should I let it melt to a completely clearness again, in the current containers?

Thanks!!!

Are you using a hot glue gun or wick stickums to attach the wick to the bottom of the jar? It doesn't sound like you are doing that..it sounds like you are just sticking them in after the wax has been poured into the container...could you make this a little more clear for me?

Here is what I do:

After you have cleaned and heated your jars(if you heat them),

1.Attach pre-tabbed wick w/hot glue or wick stickums onto the bottom of your jar...

2.Prep your melted wax by coloring and adding fo,

3.Pour into wicked jar

4.I use a bamboo skewer to hold the top part of the wick taught.Make sure wick is centered.

What type of wax are you using?

Kimmeroo

I did read through the directions. I followed them all, except after about an hour and a half, I poked holes in the top, and after another thirty minutes or so, added a little bit of wax to the top. Apparently, I did not wait long enough, and a vacuum developed later, pulling the top in, and messing it up.

I did use hot glue to hold the wick in place, and I held them vertical with hotdog/smores sticks and clothespins. I took these off after about three hours, when I moved the candles from the kitchen to my bedroom, they had to be moved, they are a secret until Christmas morning :)

I am using "container wax" from Michaels crafts store. This whole idea was rather last minute, or else I would have bought quality-er stuff online. :)

About an inch deep....

Why do I need to melt and then repour? Once melted, won't it just level out again in the current containers? Do I need to melt it until it's all liquid, or just until it has a level surface? Will it all bond back together, or will it crack or anything funky?

Should I melt it in the oven, or should I drop the candles into my pot and use the containers they are in as a sort of double boiler?

Thanks for your help! This is my first time doing this and I'm glad for the advice!

If the tab is secured to the bottom good, you should be able to just remelt it in the container then let it set up again (keeping the wick tight until it's completely cooled). How full did you make it the first time and how much extra wax did you add? If it was real full before adding some, you may need to spoon some out as it melts. Remember, just as the wax shrinks and dips when cooling, it will expand as it melts... Also, if you use the oven, don't get it too hot, you don't want to burn off your scent.

I'm probably too late to jump in on this but...All you really need to do is reopen that hole down to the bottom of the container and widen it a bit more as well. By reopening the hole and widening it, you're ensuring that the void will be totally filled when you hit with the heat gun and melt it until the hole fills in and the top becomes level. Make sure you keep your wick secured until it's completely set up. When your done, it will look as though nothing was ever wrong with it.

I melted them in the oven....didn't wait for the entire thing to become entirely liquid, but it seemed like enough had melted....looks fine today, except on the clear container, you can see where there is a little bit of airspace between the wax and one side. I might leave it, or I might try and melt that side a little with my heatgun to see if I can get it to fill in the tiny (1mm or less?) void. I'm not too worried about it, I think it'll burn just fine regardless.

Oh, the wick was held up this time, so it should not have sunk, and I melted it enough to pull it nice and with a little bit of force before clamping it down. It should be curve free.

And as it currently is, there is not any "void" to speak of, the wax just pulled a tiny bit free of the inner surface in some parts, it's probably not even pulled far enough away to slip more than a piece of paper in between the two. It might dissappear when I recap with a little bit of wax to fill in the holes I poked to keep the middle from caving in.

Some container waxes are more prone to look like they are pulling away from the glass than other. It's usually just wet spots and you get used to it ;)

If you can actually put a piece of paper in between all the way around, it probably did pull away, but as long as the candle wont fall out of the container, you're fine :)

Well, the wax is connected on both sides of the wet spot/pulled away spot, so I actually really don't know how far off of the side it is....but it won't fall out, or shouldn't. Doesn't feel likeit will.

Thank you all very much for your help! I have some supplies left over I am giving my mother for Christmas as well, and will point her here for advice on continuing to make candles for herself!