gb 444 vs 464

Guest Candelishis

I use 464. I have never tried 444. However, this summer I did an outdoor craft fair, and let me tell ya - if there is even a slight possibility that using 444 will not melt as bad in the heat as the 464 did, I am going to test the heck out of is this spring! I kept having to take stuff off the shelves because it would melt and I wasn't even in direct sunlight. I'll have to keep that in mind, and try out the 444 this spring.

The gb 464 is easier to burn when it's cold. In the summer I did 50/50 464/415. I was due for buying more wax so I decided to go with the gb 444 and give up on the mixing. I hope I made the right choice. :confused:

Hey Arlene!

How's the 444!? I haven't made anymore yet..been doing glass glow..update us...if I missed your post I'm sorry...just came across this post and saw your name which reminded me of how your testing was coming!?!

Hi Kemmeroo,

Everytime I thought I had made a decision on this wax...I changed my mind.:undecided That's why I haven't posted anything yet. I love the way it sets up. I've poured 6 or 7 jars. All looked perfect but most of them had a very faint CT. That was using 6% per lb. HT wasn't any better. I used mostly proven throwers with my 415 and 464. I openned 2 jars this morning that had been sitting for 5 days. CS Banana Nut Bread @ 7%. Very strong CT. I'll burn them later tonight to check for HT.

Now this next part I really don't understand. Since I only had 10lbs to work with and wanted to test more FO's, I started to pour directly into the little 2oz metro votive jars that WalMart sells. After a 2 day cure I put 2 in my bedroom which is 13'x15' with a cathedral ceiling. Filled the entire room with scent. I made a 3.25" dia. candle duplicating everything exactly (temp. for adding fo, pouring temp, etc.) using the same "brand" wick sized correctly for the larger container and got very poor results. Do the larger candles need a longer cure time? The same fo's that throw beautifully in the votives are barely noticable in the larger ones. :( What's up with that?

I guess what all of this boils down to is...the verdict's still out.

All suggestions are happily welcomed.

I haven't played with it lately...the one candle I did in winter spice from JS..was grat threw great, hot and cold...what wicks are you using again? If they are not cd's try those..that is all I use except for the palm I am using csn's.

Awww..I know how excited you were too!:( I pm'd ya!

Kimmeroo

The wicks I'm using are the Fil-tech Ultra Core. I really like the way they burn. No curl (lopsided melt pools drive me nuts) very little mushrooming, if any and a nice steady flame. I used them and the Premier 700's in the little votives that are scenting up the whole bedroom. I do have the CD's and CDN's. I'll dig up the 'ole 8oz Mason jars and try them in there. My fingers are crossed.

After yesterday, I would say it's a big Thumbs UP for 444. I think the larger candles just needed a little extra cure time. I had 4 different scents going, at different times, throughout the day and they all had a great HT. :bliss: I'm still amazed at how smooth the tops are with this wax even after it's been burning. I'm a happy camper for sure!