Maybe I'm thinking TOO much?....

I have been using C3 now for a couple of months, 8 oz jelly jars, and RRD40 wicks. When I received my starter kit, I thought the sticky tabs were awesome and very convenient for a newbie like me. Well, now I'm wondering... and this may be a silly theory, but I've been wondering if the sticky tabs could have something to do with some of the physical imperfections, especially any bubbling. I am careful to adhere the tabs with much pressure, the best that I can anyway. It seems as though, soon after I pour, tiny bubbles will rise to the top right along side the wick. SO, is this just all in my mind?? LOL Do many of you use these, or prefer glue guns?

I really prefer the high-temp silicon gasket maker I got from Autozone. Unfortunately, it's 'spoze to cure 24 hours for best results, which snuffs out any spontaneity in wicking containers, soooo I keep wick stickers around for those occasions.

I guess it's possible that the bubbles are rising from the adhesive-backed foam stickers, but if the bubbles are rising and breaking, they should not be causing a lot of problems. If you they are collecting into voids around the wick, you could always make some relief holes all the way around the wick while the candle is still warm, then doing a repour. HTH :)

I used to use high temp hot glue until I found too many of the sustainer bases were failing because the glue softened, allowing the wick to continue pulling liquid wax underneath it. This happened frequently when container candles were powerburned and the temps inside the container got higher than the softening point of the glue. That's why I switched to high-temp (600°) silicon gasket maker.

I haven't had a problem with it or the wick stick'ums...yet.

How about trying to pour just enough wax to cover the wick tab & allow that to start setting up, then pour the rest of the candle. I wouldn't think the sticky tabs are the problem, but if it is, that would give you a sealed layer of wax around the tab & contain any air bubbles. If it still happens, then you've eliminated that theory.

Susan.

I use the high temp glue also. I used to use the stickums and to me they weren't worth the headaches. I've never had a floating wick with the high temp glue.

And as for the C-3 wax...I agree islandgirl. I think it has more bubbles than The Lawrence Welk show.........

Maggie

Thanks for the tips guys! Like I said, while observing, I just noticed tiny little bubbles rising to the surface which appeared to be coming from the bottom and along side the wick. I just wasn't sure if this had anything to do with the cracked ringsI get from time to time. Guess I'll try the glue gun for now and see if I get the same results. I've only had one sticky tab come up after pouring, while wax was still slushy, and repoured into new jar. I must say, that was the best looking candle out of the bunch. Think I'll try pouring a few more slushy like that.... I know, I know, it's been recommended here plenty of times, but I've always just followed the manufacturers recommendation and poured hotter. That slushy candle had NO wet spots NO frosting, and NO cracking at the top! So...... The only thing I dread with using the glue gun is, it can't be as forgiving if I need to adjust the wick, so I've just gone with the stick'ems so far... Gonna give it a go though. Thanks guys! OH and too.. I placed the candles on a cooling rack, once again, should've taken that advice sooner, the only difference with my perfect candle and the others as far as my cooling method went, was the one with no flaws was not placed under a cardboard box...hmmm, it was almost like, the faster it was able to cool, the better??