1st Pillar Burn

I think I'm close on the wicking for my 1343 mottled pillar. Used a #2 SB. Melt pool seems OK and it is consuming itself. Good hot throw with Tuscan Night FO. By the time I'm getting a FMP the flames is about 1 1/2" high. Thought that might be too high but since this is my 1st wasn't sure. I'd appreciate any guidance. Picture is after 3rd burn.

post-195-139458383449_thumb.jpg

With 3 inch pillars you usually judge the flame height and melt pool based on a 3 or 4 hour burn. How many hours was that one? Getting a 1 1/2 inch flame isn't necessarily wrong if it's on the tail end of a long burn. Eventually the wick needs a trim and that just happens.

Also the first burn or two can run a lilttle hot. Later if more of a rim forms around the melt pool, wax can melt from there and slow things down so you can burn longer without getting too big a flame. You'll want to do some more burns and see how things develop.

I agree. The first burn or two can look like they're too hot, but then you get halfway through the pillar and it starts to struggle. The meltpool looks pretty good, so I'd keep burning until you get close to the bottom.

If it was burning 3 or 4 hours, the flame was just high because it was time to be trimmed :). I walk by my pillars with scissors every few hours to trim down the wicks. Of course, we all know most customers don't do that (although mine have promised me that they're getting better about it!), but I do it with the ones I burn for me.

DanaE

Sharyl....sorry the one candle is so dark but maybe you can see a little. The yellow is #1 SB that I power burned.....the purple is #2.....is has been burning just fine. I think you are on the right track. Hope this helps ...Donita (Twinkle Toes)

post-248-139458383488_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input. The 1st burn was 4 hrs. Burns 2 and 3 were 6 hrs. Wanted to see what would happen to the side walls if I burned it for more than 4 hrs. I finished burn 4 - another 6 hr. burn. Will go back to a 4 hr burn schedule now. I'm still amazed the darn thing is burning. The pictures helped Twinkle Toes. I still get a smile :D thinking of you and Martha dipping your feet in glitter.