Asking customers for address and zip code

I was told by my merchant account that i need to ask for the address and zip code so that i would need it when i call it in. I made mention of this on another message board and got bombarded with all kinds of insults. That i was not allowed to do that and if i wanted to violate the laws they were not going to help me, and that i was outraged....

basically they are telling me i could lose the right to take visas if i didn't comply. But the visa manual that they posted only (which by the way made not mention of manual machines) said that we "should not" ask for more info from our customers and that the laws vary by state about having customers information on the receipt. The only thing it said i would get in trouble for is if i REFUSE to sell them something based on them not wanting to give me their information. In the state of AZ we are allowed to write their info on the receipts.

Is that right? The bank told me to ask for their address, and zipcode and when i call it in they ask for it too... but they are saying that i am not allowed to ask? :confused:

When I worked at a credit union and handled the payments made with credit cards all we had to ask was the credit card number,expiration date, zip and the name on the card. I am not sure why you would need anything else. I know of other vendors at the craft shows ask for photo ID along with the credit card. I hope that helps you out.

With my merchant I have the option of posting with or without the address and zip numbers.

If I post with ~ my rate is lower.:cheesy2:

If I don't post with it ~ my rate is higher.:sad2:

So when I have the address information, like an online order, I post my cc with the numbers.

If I am at a craft show and just swipe the card.

I do not ask them for any additional information, I just pay the higher rate my merchant charges me when I phone in my card..

It sucks, but not much you can do...:rolleyes2

By using the zip code and/or address numbers, it helps ensure (but not guarantee) that the card is not stolen, therefore making the cancelation rate back to the credit card companies lower.

Where I used to work, the credit card machine gave us a "partial match" or "perfect match" or "no match" and the credit card company said that it was up to us whether to accept the credit card with "no match" because of the possibility of charge backs.

I don't remember ever reading anywhere from Visa/MC regarding the zip code and address, but I definitely remember reading that you cannot make a minimum charge amount or charge extra for the credit card fees.

We are in Texas and are also required to ask for address and zipcode when we do not swipe a card (knuckle-buster and telephone order). We input the first four digits of the billing address and the zip. We also record the v-code on the back of the card; this is ESSENTIAL if you are given the wrong address or zip. If the transaction fails with the address/zip, you can try again with the v-code and zip. We also ask for a telephone number in case something goes wrong. Asking your customer for the info is NOT illegal or wrong. It simply protects the cutomer against fraud. We explain all of this to our customers and have never had one balk. Most say they are grateful. You can change the input requirements with your cc processor ... to a point, but this is what is required for the best rates. HTH

i do the dial pay. and when i call it in it asks me the address (just the numbers) and the zipcode along with the other info as well but i don't understand why the would the bank would make me get an address if visa says i can't? i think i am going to call visa....:confused:

AVS (Address Verification System) checks the first 5 numbers (I believe it is 5) of a street address and the Zip checks the zip.

Some merchant accounts may have this as a requirement.....some banks require this info to be transmitted when processing a card. A few banks (not alot) may decline a charge without this information being submitted it can be declined as a AVS failure. This is to cut down on fraudulent charges.

Majority of merchant accounts it is not a requirement to obtain the information it is solely up to the merchant.

Since i'm a wholesaler I use what is called virtual terminal, meaning I log onto my merchant site and enter all info. Like Island Girl I have a lower fee if I have the complete address info and if you're gonna do business with me I require it. A couple of times at trade shows i've had a few buyers ask me about it, i explain it, no big deal. Like David Fields says, "there are a lot of experts out here" ....not!

Maybe I'm wrong for this, but I feel if they can't at least give me their zip code and phone number then I won't do the transaction. I use propay and zip codes are required. Thus, I write their zipcode on my CC slip before using the knucklebuster to copy the card. I get this from the customer ID that I ask for when I accept the card. If they don't want to give a phone number (which I haven't had happen yet) then I will deny the whole transaction. I want to have a contact number just in case something happens or I have any questions. Particularly when I don't physically have the card in front of me when I use propay to process it later.

Maybe I'm wrong for this, but I feel if they can't at least give me their zip code and phone number then I won't do the transaction.

I am the same way.

If someone refuses to give me this information, then a bell and a whistle (or 30) goes off and I see a charge back coming to me in the future.

PS...word of warning, never take Cc's from Nigeria! (dont ask me how I know *oy* :lipsrseal )

Monique