Picture Hurricane Questions....

For those that make picture hurricanes, is ANY amount of fogging on the finished picture acceptable? I've made one 4 times so far, (I have 5 memorial ones to do, done 3 of the 5) but this 4th I just can't grasp. They are all pictures of faces, and the actual faces are fine, theres just a piece of fogging in say the top right corner.

When lit you can't see it, but it's not easy being a perfectionist.

Also, has anyone ever used votives (in glass holder) instead of t-lites in them? They are going to be lit in church but then give to the parents of the boys/men killed afterwards and I'm worried about them burning through.

I'm using 5055 hurricane wax, with 1/2oz per lb microwax hard and the mold is 4 1/2" wide x 5" high.

Any advice? xx

I see that it worked so here goes.

The only time I get a little fogging on a picture is because the picture wasn't sealed against the mold. If may look like it is, but it isn't. If you don't work quickly, a little wax will get between the picture and the mold. That causing fogging. I move the ice cube back and forth as I work up the picture then go down and ice it again.....quickly.....very quickly and be sure to get it into the waterbath as SOON AS POSSIBLE. Just a few extra seconds will allow the picture to slip away from the mold and wax seeps in causing fogging. Really......working quickly will solve the problem.

As far as tea lights and votives...here are a some thoughts of mine.....(the few I have left in my brain)......metal tea light cups get hot and don't illuminate as well as plastic and plastic is cooler. Put them on a piece of Styrofoam, cork or tile and they won't burn through. Glass votive holders get very hot especially in a candle or orb that is less than 6" in diameter. I sometimes fill the center with some wax to get the flame closer to the top of the candle so it is cooler. I was using tea lights in the restaurant but they burn up to quickly. So I found a company that sells fuel cells and they stay cool except for the little metal tab that hold the wick in place. They really don't get hot. Then just throw them out after 12 hours. No glass votive holder to clean. The plastic votive cups after several hours of burning, melt. I love the fuel cells for long periods of burning. If you are careful and only burn for a few hours at a time, the tea lights should be fine.....just be sure to put a little piece of some kind of insulation under them so they don't melt the wax. Hope this helps. If you have more questions you can pm me. Here is the link to the fuel cells. Donita

http://www.restaurantlights.com/catalog/default.php?manufacturers_id=6

Do what Donita said to address the fogging problem. I start with ice cubes in a wet paper towel then go to straight ice cubes. I even wrap my cold wet paper towel around the mold while I put on my gloves to move it to the bath.

Regarding votives vs tea lights since I don't know if the fuel cells she is talking about are available to you. I use votives in a heavy glass holder with a cork pad under the holder. I also use a 5" diameter mold for all my Memory candles. Since you have 2 done you can test one of them with a votive. You can use a 3/16" thick cork pad, ceramic tile or even sand under the votive holder. I tried the 1/8" thick cork and it just doesn't hold up.

I've also found I have to step away for a day sometimes. Just seems like nothing you do works. Take a few hours off and try again. Knock on wood I have just finished 10 without a glitch. Now the next one will probably be a disaster.

Let us know how it goes.

Shouldn't have said that Sharyl.......you know it is always a jinx. (smile)

I just put two hurricanes outside to chill....they are half beeswax thank heaven.....when I was trying to get them out of the acrylic molds I just knew that I would crack them......so I got that thought out of my mind and they came out undamaged. Negative thoughts just seem to seep in and ruin an otherwise great intention :)

thanks donita and sharyl.

I'm going really fast honest lol. I put in the picture and hold it for a couple of seconds, then move it to the side. I hold it in place with one chopstick and smooth across the bottom, I then smooth it upwards from side to side finishing at the top (to let any air out).

Maybe I should just shove it up against the side quick and get the ice cubes on it then. It goes straight into the water bath.

I'd show you a photo but not sure of property rights etc. If it's a personal photo of someone I'm not sure its appropriate to show it on the net.

I use the plastic t-lite cups, and also have polycarbonate(sp?) votive ones or glass. Just thought the votives would illuminate it more.

They are being televised by the BBC :o . They aired a programme with me on last Monday and because these are for a church memorial service for local victims of gun and knife crime, the bbc are covering the church service too.

The police officer said they want him and me to interview with the candles in the background.

On tv twice in a week, erm it's nerve wracking and this one is just 90mins before the service starts so could be live :shocked2:

I think I may go with the plastic t-lites then, and put a layer of sand in the bottom.

thanks xx

Just tried t-lites v. votives and tbh, I think the t-lite gives a better glow. The votive obviously illuminates more, but it looks un-natural almost.

Just need to get some polystyrene or cork tomorrow. Not sure where from though. Don't want to use sand, as they will be taken into the church by us and given to the parents after to take home, so don't want to run the risk of them getting sand everywhere.

The police officer doesn't want me to bother wrapping them as they will be going straight from here into the church, but I'm trying to think of something big enough, nice enough and suitable enough for them to take them home in.

It's going to be an emotional enough time for them as it is, without them having to figure how to get the 'cane home

I got my cork from the local hardware store. A hobby shop would probably have a roll of cork too. The ceramic tiles I got from the local home improvement store in the tile and flooring section. I gave up on tiles cause I did a lousy job of placing them in the melted wax in the bottom of the 'cane.

Packaging - how about a gift bag with handles.

Technique - As you know it just takes practice. I heat my molds with a heat gun before pouring the wax. That gives you an extra minute or two. Also I melt my wax in a presto so I preheat my pour pot to help maintain the wax temp. My chop sticks and spoon were in the melting wax to preheat them. I also use chop sticks to position the picture and get out any air bubbles. Then a spoon to hold the picture in place while using the ice. Maybe try holding the spoon in one place longer while applying the ice to the outside. I make sure there is a good frost of wax on the inside before moving on. Other than that cross your fingers and toes and hope for the best. You are soaking the picture in the melted wax 1st to get out any air bubbles in the paper aren't you? Doing that means less time fussing with air bubbles in the mold.

It will be a very emotional service and your Memorial candles will be so appropriate.

ooh hang on, do you mean actual tiles, like you'd tile a kitchen with?

I have some small ones left over from doing my kitchen.

I've not been preheating my mold or chopsticks, but do hold the piccie in wax before positioning.

Once you move the piccie to the side, are you talking a couple of seconds before putting ice on? or do you spend about 30seconds or so positioning it?

I will go to local hobbycraft tomorrow and see what bags they have.

thanks for your help xx

When I do them, I start icing immediately, though I do soak them in a flat pan of wax beforehand so I wont have to fool with the waiting or bubbles. For the smoothing, I use a very straight wooden skewer and ice cube together, moving them simultaneously. Where the ice is, the stick is there holding the pic against the surface. Fore warning though... keep the stick (and ice) moving. I'f found I get flaws in the surface if the stick stays in one spot too long while the wax solidifies. Everyone seems to have their own little variations, but this is the only way I can get a smooth, clear surface.

Yep, ceramic tiles like on your kitchen wall. Zap the inside bottom with your heat gun to melt the wax a little and drop in a little tile.

There is no right or wrong way to position the picture. Just the way that works for you. I probably take no more than 30 seconds to position and smooth the picture before starting with the ice. I used to use the chop stick with the ice but have had better luck with a plastic cooking spoon. The trick is to soak the picture in wax for several minutes to get all the air bubbles out of the paper. Then I set it aside for use later.

Having everything heated gives you a little more time.

Good Luck

aah, thanks. I'm only holding the piccie in the wax for about 5 seconds before positioning. Then about 30seconds of smoothing (within the mold) then ice.

Plus I'm not heating because I coat the inside of the mold with a cooking oil so thought the heat would zap it off.

If you put the piccie in some wax beforehand, doesn't the wax set up on that first?

Soaking the picture in the wax gets rid of all the air in the paper. When you take it out it is coated in wax. Thats OK. It's a thin coating. I hold the picture over my pot by a corner to let the excess drain off. Also I store the pictures I am going to do in a mold. That way the paper already has a curve to it that matches the mold. You want a thin coating of wax over the picture in your finished 'cane to protect it.

I wipe my molds thoroughly before using them. I never use cooking oil. I do clean them with WD40 every 3rd use or so. Don't know if you have that over there. Since you have used this mold several time you shouldn't have a problem getting the 'cane out.

I told Scented I'd do a tutorial on picture 'canes after the 1st of the year. I need someone to take the pictures for me. It would just be my way. Everyone that does these has their own technique that works for them. You just need to find a method that works for you.

Sharyl is right when she says to let the ink dry. If you put a wet picture in wax you are just asking for bubbles and trouble. I don't take mine out of the wax and let it dry. That makes the picture to hard for me. I do let it soak in my vat of wax for at least 5 minutes then use it immediately in the mold. Just takes practice and you will find the way that works best for you. Donita

ps....I don't always follow my own instructions. I like to mess around and try new things. Sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't. I just can't leave things alone (smile)