Peak, Just Scents/ Hot Throw

bugtussle

After reading this board for a couple months, decided I needed to add to my suppliers - BCN, BCS, WSP, LS and Taylored. Got samples from Peaks & JS. Smell wonderful OOB. Poured them @10% in 6006 and 223+soy mix. The Spruce is really good, but can't get any hot throw from Love Spell (Pks), WT& Ginger (Pks), Buttercream Crunch (JS). What could it be? They are very highly rated FO's. After 3 days, cold throw is fair, almost no hot throw unless you are standing over it. I am not a newbie, been making and selling candles for 3 years. Any ideas???

Hi Bug,

Sometimes certain oils just do not throw well in a particular wax. I tested the 6006 a long time ago and I believe it does have soy in it. I use a soy/veggie wax (Calsoy CB-3) and I do run into certain oils that will not throw in it but throws better in a paraffin. The only one I have used out of the three you listed is JS's Buttercream Crunch. I did not get a good throw with that one either in soy. I thought maybe it needed further curing. I tried it a couple times and still not good. I kept the jar. I should try it again. It could be that those oils just don't do well in the 6006. You did use plenty so that should not be the case. Give it a few more days and test them again. :)

I get an awesome throw with JS Vanilla Buttercream Crunch in ADM soy and even better in the JS 50/50. My customers love this one. Must be the wax, and I pour this one at 8-9%. I tested lots of oils in the 6006 and found many didn't throw as well as in my JS 50/50 and ADM soy.

Let it cure and if it doesn't work, it is the wax.

I too did not get enough good throws in the 6006, but then there are others that think it is better than some other waxes for scent throw and I thought the opposite. lol It can be different with different people using different oils. I think I remember the biggest thing was the cold throw for me with the 6006. At the time I was comparing it to J-223 -- when I first started to make candles. There will always be some FO's that may not throw well in one wax but will in another. I have some FO's oils that throw better in my soy than my paraffin and visa versa. The thing I look for is a high percentage that do and that it is not a constant no-go. :)