Adding Shredded Soap To A New Batch

bjsalas

I've read how sometimes when a person is trying to save a botched batch of soap, instead of rebatching they add it to a new batch of soap. Well, since I have a couple of pounds of shredded CP base left that I bought off eBay when I was learning to rebatch and since I'm now learning the CP method and LOVING it, I thought I would make a new batch of soap an add the shredded stuff to it. The thing is, I'm totally confused about how to do it.

1. When would I add it? At trace?

2. How much would I add for say a 2 pound batch of soap?

Also, do the shreds "melt" or will there be little shreds of soap in my new batch? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Yep you add at a medium to thick trace so they don't sink to the bottom.

I would say add 30% of shreds to your total recipe. Which would be 9.6 oz. You can either reduce your size of batch for the extra or you can have an extra mold sitting there for the extra left over. Of course if you reduce the size of your batch the amount of shreds would be reduced too. Just figure out how much it would take to total the amount of 2 lb.

I don't have the shreds melt because I try not to get gel with my gm soaps.

They should look like little shreds like this:

DSC02494.jpg

SoapFreak - your soap is wonderful! Your edges are nicely trimmed and the soap looks so smooth. May I ask how you achieve such a nice look? Do you just use a rag and rub each bar and a beveler for the edges?

Soy, I cut mine with a Cumberland Acoustics cutter and use KB's beveler.

I didn't even polish these. Thank you!

I have a severe case of envy (the good kind).

:P

How do you get your soap so white? And that pink -- my MIL is still waiting for pink soap (her favorite color). My pink oxide is puny colored.

Over all Olympic All Star Soap. (O-ASS - HA!)

TAS

I have a severe case of envy (the good kind).

:P

How do you get your soap so white? And that pink -- my MIL is still waiting for pink soap (her favorite color). My pink oxide is puny colored.

Over all Olympic All Star Soap. (O-ASS - HA!)

TAS

I used neon pink oxide from Southern soaper's. :smiley2: You better make her some. Would you like a sample of oxide to try after the holidays?

I used neon pink oxide from Southern soaper's. :smiley2: You better make her some. Would you like a sample of oxide to try after the holidays?

your so sweet. I have some oxides that I bought from Melbo's coop. Maybe I am just not using enough? I read all these posts that said you just need a little. So maybe I need a lot?

TAS

your so sweet. I have some oxides that I bought from Melbo's coop. Maybe I am just not using enough? I read all these posts that said you just need a little. So maybe I need a lot?

TAS

I am a color and mica ho, so yes use alot. LOL What I did on the pink batch is use a little td to make it more pastel.

• 2 weeks later...

That soap looks like a tasty birthday cake! Don't ask me why I think that, I just do. It is so cute! I can't wait until my mold gets here so I can start learning more about the process by doing! Thanks for posting that pic! BTW what is GM CP soap?

ETA: Duh goat milk I figured it out!