My very first candle :)

Vio

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't necessarily have to get a FMP on the first burn. ;)

Your next couple of burns will be the tell-all if this is the right wick or not.

IMO cinnamon types are a bit harder to burn, so that same wick may give you a FMP on the first burn with a different type of FO, like a floral etc.

Just have to keep testing and testing and testing-oh the joys of it-NOT! lol

While 6 hours is a long time to burn that width of a candle, I'd give it a second burn, sometimes the edges catch up. Achieving a full melt pool on your first burn is not necessary. As mentioned, cinnamon is notorious for wicking up to begin with, but try another burn.

very nice burn job. So are you extiguishing the candle after avery 1 hr, then letting it set back up and light again?

Its hard to understand your method. But when i test burn, I let the candle burn for a straight 3hrs. then extiguish and let the wax re-harden, trim the wick and re-light for the second 3hr burn. this is the only way to get good results. Most customers burn candles for more than one hour at a time and you need to make sure you test longer burns like that so the candle doesnt get too hot and you can measure a better melt pool.

Only a newby would wick up without further burns. A seasoned chandler who understands the importance of testing knows the first couple of burns tell you absolutely nothing. Not to mention you're using a container that will burn differently toward the bottom. Test properly before you decide. If you wick up, you'll possibly have a very hot candle later.

Slow down, don't try other containers at this point. What you might consider next time is pouring 3 or 4 different candles, same kind of container, same formula, different wicks, and see which burn you like best. That way you'll have side-by-side comparisons. Until you get a feel for your wicks, you must burn completely before you decide.

Welcome back, Stella. I thought you were away. :wink2:

www.SunshineWaxWorks.com

Hi Vio :) I'm glad you are enjoying the test process.

I'm doing 3 hour burns on mine with a complete cool down in between.

So far, with the same container and fo/wax combo I've made 7 different candles with various wicks. I like to burn them at the same time and compare when I can.

Now that more wicks have arrived Ifinally) I can test some more this weekend!

Although still a complete and total newbie I feel like I learn and understand just a wee bit more with every test. I've got a long way to go, that's for sure, but hoping the new wick size I want to pour this weekend will be JUST the ticket lol~

Keep us posted on how you are doing. I really learn a lot from other new people who share their experiences....good and bad.

:yay:

Dana

What kind of container is that Vio? I think I use the same ones. If I'm right and you are using the same container as I am I'll tell you that yes, it eventually catches up. The container is very tall and narrow, so it heats up more as it burns down to the bottom. I used to use soy (I use palm now) and I was able to wick it correctly with one wick and it would look like that at first. Mine used to catch up about 2/3's of the way down and then burn great after that. However, I didn't use the kind of wick you do, I used ECO wicks. But I did have the same looking melt pools that you have at first, if that means anything, lol.

So, just b/c STELLA says she'd wick up, you just go with that? :rolleyes:

Actually, I've burned it for a few hours this morning, and still the walls were adhered. It's 1:30 now here, and I posted a question about this last night in the vegetable wax sub forum, and no answers really, which I was assuming meant I'll just have to figure this one out on my own. I went to do some chores then came back to check these threads, and Stella had posted she would wick up. I didn't do it because she said to, I did it because it kind of agreed with my gut feeling as well.

I was doing the testing wrong. I was lighting it then at 1 hour intervals, was putting it out just long enough to take a picture, but it was fast and melt pool hadn't changed when I relit it. Like 1 minute extinguish after flame and melt pool picture, then out to check wick for mushrooms.

I read a few threads here that suggested you do 1 hour per inch of diameter, so I just misunderstood I guess.

The candle was burning though, with only slight outs not enough to affect mp, for 6 hours and the last picture would be what the melt pool looked like at the end of 6 complete hours. I never let it rest to reset up the wax.

It was kind of late, and yesterday was hectic with the kids, so I think I got confused, and that's why I'm asking.

If this wick is too hot, will note at 3 hours and bump back down. Will take picts and check at 3 hours.

It's a 12 oz Madison jar.

I re-read the threads I bookmarked and now see where I got confused. Thank you all for the input and really just want to get on with testing this one, and since I'd never done this before, was confused.

Much thanks to all for the advice. :)

Only a newby would wick up without further burns. A seasoned chandler who understands the importance of testing knows the first couple of burns tell you absolutely nothing. Not to mention you're using a container that will burn differently toward the bottom. Test properly before you decide. If you wick up, you'll possibly have a very hot candle later.

Slow down, don't try other containers at this point. What you might consider next time is pouring 3 or 4 different candles, same kind of container, same formula, different wicks, and see which burn you like best. That way you'll have side-by-side comparisons. Until you get a feel for your wicks, you must burn completely before you decide.

Welcome back, Stella. I thought you were away. :wink2:

www.SunshineWaxWorks.com

I am a total noob Sliver and please forgive my noobness. LOL

I just felt lost, because to tell you the truth I don't ever remember even ever buying a soy candle before, so I had no idea how one should really burn, except for pictures I've seen.

Thank you very much for the advice on the different wicks in same jar. Understand, I know absolutely nothing and am not doing anything but this container right now.

When I can get this one to work, I will try a marathon burn to be sure it doesn't explode or something. Then and only then, will I go onto a next FO. I wanted to try a mason jar just to experiment since I have a few old ones laying around, but believe me when I say soon, it's like 2 months. LOL I'm not in a rush at all. I just want to know what is normal, and like I said with such little exposure, it's hard for me personally to tell. :)

While 6 hours is a long time to burn that width of a candle, I'd give it a second burn, sometimes the edges catch up. Achieving a full melt pool on your first burn is not necessary. As mentioned, cinnamon is notorious for wicking up to begin with, but try another burn.

Not knowing so many would respond in such a short time, I did wick up. I will try it and see if it's too hot to touch. The 770 wasn't hot at all. You could just barely feel warmth to the touch, even when I had the wick too long first hour. Noting your advice and will do just that thank you very much to all for the advice and being patient with me. Like I said, I'm a total noob and am humbled in experienced chandler's presence, and much respect for any and all input since I know how little I truly know. :)

So, just b/c STELLA says she'd wick up, you just go with that? :rolleyes:

Michi please forgive me, I didn't see your post before Stella's. When I entered the thread I went to the last post and missed where you posted right after my last post with the video. I'm sorry if how I responded came off wrong. I truly didn't see your post and advice. :(

Soy wax tends to burn down and then out. So if you have hang-up on the first few burns, it is no big deal and if properly wicked, which also includes not having too big of a wick, that hang-up will burn down. Give this candle some more time before deciding that you need to wick up.

Congrats on that first candle. I'm sure that there will be many more now that you have the fever.

Thank you Meridith! I am taking more notes on what to consider when testing and everything everyone here is advising me on. Thank you all for the input and advice. :)

I am now in the second hour of one long 3 hour burn with the bumped up 775 and the glass really isn't all that much warmer than it was with the 770. At about 1 hr 20 mins to be exact. Just a tad more warm when you touch above wax, outside of the jar. I can even put my index finger inside the jar and the flame doesn't burn my finger. I'm comparing it to the video I took of the last wick, and it's just a hair bigger flame. I don't see any mushrooming going on just viewing the flame. The wick seems to be a bit bigger than it was when I re trimmed after leveling off after new wick. I made sure it was 1/4 inch exact. Will take pictures at 3 hours and post results. :)

I am a total noob Sliver and please forgive my noobness. LOL

lol, my comment wasn't necessarily addressed to you. But it's ok. Probably the best thing you can do is your own testing and disregard much of what you read. Honestly, you can ask questions and will get a myriad of answers which will most likely further confuse you. Whatever you do, don't assume a high post count in a short time equates to knowledge. Nothing could be further from the truth.

When you test, burn as you envision a customer would burn. And burn to the bottom, unless it's obvious the wicking is wrong. By obvious, I mean flaming out the top or extinguishing itself in the melt pool.

By your pictures, it appears your container is considerably smaller at the bottom. But now I realize it's the distortion of the pictures. Try to stay away from tall containers. They will chimney on you. For a beginner, you would be best to stick will a common candle container; i.e., a hex jar, not too tall, straight up and down.

You'll get there. Just do your own thing. It's the best way to learn.

www.SunshineWaxWorks.com

Thank you and I will take all advice to trust my own instinct. :)

I just finished a 3 hour burn. My Madison jar is 4 and 1/2 inches tall and has a 3 inch diameter. It's like a straight glass pretty much. There's one taller than it, and thought that would just be too tall.

At 2:06 pm eastern, my weight was 19.60 oz. At 5:10 pm eastern, I took a few picts, then blew it out to let it set up again. The wax in the second hour wasn't quite melted out to the sides yet. In the 3rd hour, it went out to the edge though. When I blew it out the weight was 18.95 oz.

Here's some pictures. :)

Right now I'm looking at the candle and the melt pool has hardened again. The top is flush and smooth and you can see some residue on the side of the jar, where the burn started, down to the wax level now. It's not a thick skin at all. Very slight skin. Not see through, but not all that thick either.

post-8781-139458438941_thumb.jpg

post-8781-139458438944_thumb.jpg

post-8781-139458438946_thumb.jpg

post-8781-139458438948_thumb.jpg

post-8781-13945843895_thumb.jpg

post-8781-139458438952_thumb.jpg

I am bookmarking and taking notes like crazy here. Not leaving anything out I hope and I really do appreciate all input. Thank you everyone. :)

I just ended another 3 hour burn here. I have a melt pool that at 3 hours that's like exactly 1/4 inch deep. Some mushrooming but nothing that's falling into the wax.

I actually had to check to see if the flame was too hot for the walls, even though I couldn't feel it as too hot inside or out and stuck my probe thermometer up against the glass on the inside, just touching the wax and I get a reading of 85 degrees F on the inside. I'm just noting it because I have no idea if this will be significant or not, but going to keep track anyway. Can't hurt.

Weight of candle at end of this burn is 18.25 oz.

Just a note too for anyone who sees the pictures I posted. That funky orangy colored ring is only in the pictures. The candle has no color like that in real life. I'm good with a camera, but not good taking pictures of a candle for some reason! ;) LOL