Taking Credit Cards

bells4shells

• 2 months later...

I've used ProPay for over a year now. I've never had a problem. I get the customer's zip code instead of their full address. I've used it for craft fairs and for Etsy orders. I don't know if it integrates with a traditional website.

If you have questions, call Mike Burgoyne 801-852-4005. He also has an Etsy rate. You get the premium for the basic price. He's very helpful.

I bought my imprinter and slips (plus an engraved plate-with my business name, address, and website addy) from Mr.Imprinter also. :D $24 WITH shipping!

I also went with propay. It's a yearly flate rate and then a small percentage fee per transaction.

Not sure about that...but if someone was evil enough to do such a thing...in most cases...they would not even need a CV#....so I do not think that makes too much difference. I know that VERY few ppl ask for that number when I use my own credit cards....even online.

Discover cards are mainly the ones that have to collect that #. Visa/Mc hardly ever do. Not sure about American Express.

Just wanted to say that I have an American Express Business card and everytime I make a purchase online somewhere using it, I MUST enter my CV # or it won't process the card. Now whether that is just the server the company happens to be using or American Express itself I can't tell you.

So I'm seeing that many of you are using ProPay with good results. I was really freaked out about hearing the chargeback issue(s) and having to make sure you have ALL of the customers info. If it's only their zip, it sounds like it could be a good way to go. Especially with the Etsy discount. Thanks for providing that number! I couldn't see any price changes for the Etsy deal though, so this is great! :)

I'm looking into this, as I'm hoping to start doing craft shows soon, and I think taking credit cards might help sales. Oversoyed, you use Merchant Services, right? Do you have a retail account or a mail order/telephone order account?

For those of you who've ordered supplies from Mr. Imprinter, clearly I'm missing something - when I click on the store link, I can't find any way to actually click on an item to buy anything. :confused: Am I overlooking something obvious? Their kits might be good deals, if I could only see prices.

ETA: With http://www.thompsonmerchant.com, has anyone used their SOVAI service? It's billed as an add-on for merchants who already have a payment gateway or shopping cart and just want mobile capability for trade shows and such. As far as I can tell, you send in transactions via your phone, and it's $0.50 per transaction - no other fees, unless I really am missing something. If it's as good as it sounds, that would seem to be the way to go since I already have a website and shopping cart for my online orders.

I use paypal, for both online and stores. The monthly fee of 30 is deductible. I do not need anybodys address. I can fill in the cvs if I want, heck I don't even need their name. I put it in to keep myself straight. I love it as I can download all my transactions into quickbooks. I have had one person try to do a chargeback. I always put in what they bought and when they filed for the chargeback I wrote what they bought and where they were when they bought it. Then they remembered. I guess they just didn't get it with y business name.

HMMMM...this intrigues me. I have been using their Virtual Terminal for the past two years and I have to have their address and code on the back. If the address does not match exactly as their CC billing address, it declines the card. Same with the CVS. How are you not doing addresses?

Thanks to all who have provided input and shared their experiences in this thread. It's helped to influence my choice for credit card processing... I think I'll go with ProPay for now -- the lack of cancellation fees is really what tipped the scale for me - I can change my mind down the road and not cough up $$$$$.

I use Total Merchant Services. My only complaint is I need to have 2 accounts with them - one for online, and one for the wireless terminal. For both accounts, there is a monthly fee, and I pay an extra fee for the wireless terminal, but it is well worth the cost. I buy the paper for the terminal at Sam's Club, super cheap. The terminal allows me to provide receipts for cash sales, which has really helped with my inventory and stats from each show ( I can track times of purchase for the busy times, # of items for each purchase, etc) I also like the statement format, it breaks it down in easy groupings for my accounting / tax purposes.

I signed up with them the Monday after Thanksgiving last year, and had the terminal in use at my show the following Saturday. I can't say enough about the customer service!

Hope this helps!

• 3 years later...
Alrighty, I've tried this on other venues and just never get the responses I'm looking for. So, I know I can get it from all of you who've been so helpful in the past.

I'm looking for a credit card processor. One who can handle both my online sales as well as one that will allow me to process orders offline using an imprinter (i.e. - craft shows).

I know about ProPay which has a very reasonable joining fee, but I've heard some horrible experiences from others in regards to making sure you have your customers address that matches their credit card and it just sounds like a nightmare!

Anyone with experience with ProPay? How about other CC merchants/processors? I'd like to hear the good, bad and ugly please! Nothing is more important than getting an all-around opinion with experiences to help someone else make better informed decisions. I look forward to hearing what you've encountered and your recommendations!! :)

send me an email, im a processing company with high marks and many referals, avitim@hotmail.com, or simply send me a private message here

send me an email, im a processing company with high marks and many referals, avitim@hotmail.com, or simply send me a private message here

You are not supposed to be promoting you own business. Pulling up old CC threads from 2007 to get yourself some biz is not allowed!!

It seems you are hitting all the treads regarding your processing company . :rolleyes2

Want to buy a candle while you troll???:P

Edited by islandgirl