tart/floating candle question

so i've done the searching and i want to make sure i've got my head wrapped around this before i use my extra wax fom pours.

1) tarts can be anywhere from 0.25 oz to 2 oz in weight.

2) tarts usually don't have wicks

3) floaters are wicked using votive wicks and are wicked like a pillar leaving a thin shell

4) i can use a mini muffin pan to make them

5) i can use a regular muffin tin and only fill them 1/2 full

6) would i be better off buying a mold or using dixie cups/muffin tins or cupcake wrappers like i've seen so many of you say you use.

7) don't need to repour

8) can use both container and pillar wax

I've got not a lot, but a lot of excess wax, and realized i'd probably have people ask me for tarts :D

Thanks in advance for the help in wrapping my head around this

I don't think you'll get the floater/tart out of the mold if you use container wax. I know I couldn't, using the blend I use for containers.

I use a 2 piece mold for my floaters, and the votive wax I use requires a top off, so there is a repour.

I use a prepared mold for my tarts, and I get 25 per pound of wax, which calculates out to .64oz per tart. They do not have wicks.

Fredron

Thanks fredron.

I use nonstick backing pans to put my excess wax in and haven't had issues getting the wax out yet, but then again they aren't small in size like a muffin mold.

Cool, so i'll make the tarts with my pillar/votive wax and it'll require a repour since the wax does...

2 piece mold, i've read a lot about clamshell molds, is that what you are talking about?

sorry so long in responding...reading other threads and overlooked my own. :o

Also, mini tart tins make good molds for Tarts (you're going to want to call them Melts or something to that effect Yankee has a copyright on Tart)

You can find them at Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things or most places that sell kitchen cookware. They are pretty cheap, I wouldn't buy them online the prices get jacked.

here's a link to a picture of what i'm talking about...

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Small-Tart-Mold--1-oz__A1004.aspx

Also, mini tart tins make good molds for Tarts (you're going to want to call them Melts or something to that effect Yankee has a copyright on Tart)

You can find them at Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things or most places that sell kitchen cookware. They are pretty cheap, I wouldn't buy them online the prices get jacked.

here's a link to a picture of what i'm talking about...

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Small-Tart-Mold--1-oz__A1004.aspx

so that's what those are for :D I got to linens and things and such with the DW i've picked them up and scratched my head usually the wife is on the other side of the store so i never ask.

Although I have tart molds, I most often use the deli trays for bite-sized tarts, brownies, etc. These can either be used for future projects, repours or tarts. When I pour C3 in them, I have no trouble demolding them, especially when the temperatures are low in the house. Only time I have ever had any problem popping them out was when the temp in the house was over 85°. A quick stay in the refrigerator resolve that issue. However, C3 is not as forgiving about popping out of silicon or latex molds or from inflexible metal molds. :wink2:

Two-piece molds are ones that have to be joined before pouring, then separated to demold. This link shows two-part molds. They are used for items that must be 3-dimensional on all sides (no flat side) or shapes with undercuts (the casting won't drop out of the mold unless the mold is very flexible).

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Candle-Molds/Plastic-Molds.aspx

Clamshells are hinged clear plastic molds that look like this:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=6027

Thanks stella, now i'm thinking of doing tealights instead of metls because my boss said she'd buy them from me since she burns a them a lot...and loves the flavored tealights. :o sooooooooo wicking tealights require a smaller wick then a votive i'm guessing.

I'd like to learn to make tea lights as well since 'I' would burn them rather than buying and going through the big bags from the store... BUT- I've read here that it's not really cost effective. So though I still want to make them to match scents of the tarts I give as gifts to family, I don't think I'd ever try to sell them. And you don't want to burn a Strawberry scented tea lite to melt a Peppermint melt. Know what I mean?

But having said that, that is up to your co-worker how much she wants to spend. Just be sure you know your costs of doing so, so that you don't invest too much into something that isn't going to raise your bottom line- IF that is your purpose. Otherwise go for it.

I don't think people use the 'cupcake wrappers' for melts or anything other than the fire starters where the whole thing will be burned in a fireplace. Even if you could, i'm not sure it would be worth the trouble of removing each wrapper and if you even could. I really wouldn't want to risk having any paper bits being left behind.

You can make floaters in the same scalloped molds as you make melts.

Repours usually just depend on your wax, and what size of melt you want to end up with. From some blends I get big center dips. But it doesn't bother me if it is an embed, and or if it is the bottom of the melt once unmolded. Does that make sense? Detailed molds would be turned over and the dip is not featured. Where as if you used a clamshell you would probably want to be sure to repour or use a non repour wax.

Yankee melts are not a full oz by weight, but I beleive the mold size is by volume. Anywhere AROUND an ounce is a decent normal sized melt. Then you have the 'jumbos' - but not all melters will fit them.

And tarts NEVER have wicks. Not if they were intended for that purpose anyways, lol. But a lot of people make 'melts' out of candles just by putting it on a jar warmer. But it's not called the same. It's still a candle.

And I don't know anything about votives/pillars and wicking floaters, sorry. :D