Where should a newbie to B&B begin?

cleanglow

I can't ever remember being so overwhelmed when I began making candles long ago, so why do I feel so everwhelmed at the idea of trying something new here?

I don't know where to begin. I'd love to try out a salt/sugar scrub and then maybe a body butter/cream. I LOVE bath bombs but they seem so complicated. So many of you make some beautiful soaps, but again, wouldn't know where to begin. My dh wants me to try out a shower gel. I just don't know what to do or even the best place to start buying products.

I'm the type who wants to try out 1 thing, get it right and then move on. I'm just not sure what to try 1st!

Help me please! :confused:

Jenn

I think that's a great idea. My daughter (who will be 3 next month) suffers from bad eczema this time of year. She's now also complaining that her lips hurt, too. Maybe I can start there and then try some kind of cream that will help her eczema.

Baby steps...

ok, ty!

Another question...

I found this recipe on another post and am a bit confused...

4 oz. beeswax

4 oz. coconut oil

1 oz. shea butter

3 oz. cocoa butter

4 oz. sweet almond oil (or 8 oz. if you don't use fractionated coconut oil)

4 oz. coconut oil (fractionated)

It shows to use 4 oz. of coconut oil 2x's. Is that correct? Are they different kinds? Oh Lord what am I getting myself into!?

Lip balms/(non-emulsified) body butters/lotion bars all use basically the same principles and ingredients, so you could start with that "category" :)

I'd start with anhydrous (water-free) things so you don't have to worry about preservatives. Those are usually simpler too.

For me it's harder to decide what goodies I want to order than what to make from them... a good place to try smaller amounts of things is Garden of Tempta... I mean, Wisdom.

But well, from a basic list of oils - olive, coconut, shea butter, maybe some rice bran oil or avocado - and some beeswax you can already make everything mentioned above, and even whipped shea! :D Then for scrubs, add sugar/salt/other yummy scrubbies!

For things like shower gels, you can start with a base, and slowly move up to making your own surfactant blends/liquid soap. As for soap, you could start with MP to just get your feet wet, or jump straight into CP.

If you're on the east coast (my geog of US is still hazy, I have a pinup of the US map on my board just for supplier references), Brambleberry, Lotioncrafter, Oils By Nature, and A Garden Eastward, are all near you.

ok, ty!

Another question...

4 oz. beeswax

4 oz. coconut oil

1 oz. shea butter

3 oz. cocoa butter

It shows to use 4 oz. of coconut oil 2x's. Is that correct? Are they different kinds? Oh Lord what am I getting myself into!?

Yes, coconut oil and FCO are different. Coconut oil is a soft solid and FCO is an oil...I love FCO, it has a really nice silky, non greasy feel to it.

ok, ty!

Another question...

4 oz. beeswax

4 oz. coconut oil

1 oz. shea butter

3 oz. cocoa butter

Fractionated coconut oil is different from just coconut oil. Coconut oil is semi-solid at room temperature (so sort of a butter... it's hot and humid here all year round, so CO's nearly always liquid anyway for us), while fractionated coconut oil is physically separated so it's only the liquid fraction of coconut oil.

Coconut oil can be unrefined (virgin), which will have the typical coconut oil aroma, or refined, which will be just about odorless.

FCO is clear, liquid and odorless. FCO also cannot clog pores, and is very stable (no worries about shelf life there). Coconut oil has a very long shelf life, but it can still go rancid over time (about 2 years, I think).

FCO is a very light oil, it absorbs quickly without greasiness, and gives "slip" to oil blends. Coconut oil is somewhat heavier, but still not too bad. I find it kinda greasy though.

Hope this helps!

Oh wow, you both have helped so much, thank you! I am so glad that I finally decided something to try... with some help. :) And even happier to have something new to try for my daughter's eczema!

Now off to do some more research and figure out the best places to buy.

I am on the East Coast, so thank you so much for the list of suppliers, too!

Cleanglow, my kids had terrible eczema and once I started using handmade soap instead of commercial stuff it got much better. As for moisturizers, I like to use a water-containing lotion (store bought, fragrance free) and then after that soaked in I rubbed a bit of shea between my hands and just wiped my hands over the skin to kinda seal the lotion in. Worked wonders. My kids are now eczema-free, by the way - and I think dropping the commercial soaps had a big impact on that (also only buy laundry detergents that do NOT have enzymes in the ingredients, and do a double-rinse if you can).

Oh man, Cleanglow is coming to the other side. :D

There is no turning back. B&B is extremely addicting, especially soaping.

I do agree that a simple, anhydrous product would be a great start.

Body butter [perfect weather for it] or lip balms would be fab to start playing with. You'll have fun, I guarantee it.

Then later on, once you get familiar with preservatives, botanicals, oil & butter properties and basic techniques, you can venture just about anywhere.

Edited to add: to try things and get them faster than lightning, try Mystify Your Senses.

She is in Jersey, I buy from her when I need something in a pinch or want to try a bit of a new ingredient.