Please check my calculations...?

Making my first candle would be a lot simpler if it was 1 pound! :o

(Math is not my forte...)

Using the forum calculator I came up with the following:

(I'm using an 8oz JJ)

Empty container weighs 6.125oz.

with water added weighs 12.875

= 5.8 oz wax required

Now, calculating FO gets harder for me, because 1oz per pound is simple!

Do I take the amount of wax and just multiply it by 6% giving me an amount of 0.35oz F0?

A lot of work for one bitsy candle ... ! Alas, looking forward to my first little one to test!

Anyhow are my figures right or is there another way, am I thinking about it all wrong?

Thanks,

Dana :D

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

I found it hard also to measure the FO on my scale under an ounce, so for my first candle it might not be quite as accurate as I would like. It will measure 1/4, 1/2, etc. So it might be a bit heavy on the FO. We'll see!

A learning experience, but still exciting pouring my first candle.

Thanks again,

Dana

:D

welcome to my world Dana, I bought one scale only to find out that's not what i need to buy another one praying it'll work....

I've learned to just make the pound of wax even if it's more then i need that way i've got extra to make a second or third or forth...It also helps with my math skills, i feel like a dummy asking my 8 year old to help with precents

5.8 oz wax required

Now, calculating FO gets harder for me, because 1oz per pound is simple!

Do I take the amount of wax and just multiply it by 6% giving me an amount of 0.35oz F0?

You were right when you said 1 oz per pound. That's the best approximation for 6%.

If you have less than a pound, you divide the number of ounces by 16. So, at a rate of 1 oz per pound, for 5.8 oz you need 5.8 / 16 = .36 oz.

Don't do that multiplication thing.

Making my first candle would be a lot simpler if it was 1 pound! :o

Using the forum calculator I came up with the following:

(I'm using an 8oz JJ)

Empty container weighs 6.125oz.

with water added weighs 12.875

= 5.8 oz wax required

Thanks,

Dana :D

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong - but that is the amount of wax and FO you need!

What ever way you calculate you will need to SUBTRACT the FO amount from the total you have come up with.

If you add .35 ounces to 5.8 ounces of wax the Total weigh is now 6.15oz. And .35 divided by the total is only 5.6% fragrance load. Probably not noticable to the nose - BUT - not the true 6% you wanted! Pouring just one candle you would not notice the slight overage - that amount would probably stick to the sides of your pourer.

But will be when you start calculating larger batches!!! And once you did get to the larger batches the next post would be: Why do I have wax left over in my pour pot?

PM me if you have any questions. Suprised no one mentioned this tidbit of info!

Judy, you're right but some people like the FO per pound method so they use the capacity of the container as the amount of wax and add FO to it. It could result in a slightly higher fill or extra mixture but no biggie. When you do it that way, 1 oz per pound is the closest convenient estimate of 6% FO. To scale it up or down, you take the ounces of wax you're using and divide by 16 to get the FO amount.

You're also right that you don't want to multiply the wax amount by 6%. That doesn't give you a good result and the amount you get will be too low. I chimed in because that's what they were talking about doing and it's way off.

What you're describing is the real calculation for exactly 6%. Some people are comfortable with that and some prefer the per pound approach.

I'm glad you two spoke up, thank you :) It is the next morning now of course and my wee tester has been poured.

I just got up and am going to try to wrap my sleepy brain around what you are saying....because last night I was in a spot where I thought I was understanding and now I'm confused again (doesn't take much :o)

I am a total newbie and this was my first attempt.

I'll pm you Judy because now I'm confused as how I determine how much wax to melt and how much FO to add and actually even what percentage to start with....

Like I said, it doesn't take much, HA

Thank you (to everyone) for answering, I hope some other newbies can read these and learn along with me!!!

Dana

Dana, the smartest thing you can do to make your life easier is to make 1 pound batches, then pour as far as that will take you. :wink2: You can make tarts, more containers or simply reserve the excess for later melting and pouring.

I would have a cerebral hemorrhage if I tried to calculate ingredients for 5.8 ounces of wax. *faint*

Dana, the smartest thing you can do to make your life easier is to make 1 pound batches, then pour as far as that will take you. :wink2: You can make tarts, more containers or simply reserve the excess for later melting and pouring.

I would have a cerebral hemorrhage if I tried to calculate ingredients for 5.8 ounces of wax. *faint*

That's what i said...woohoo some of my yule wish is coming true.

That is exactly what I did......(the hemorrhage calculations lol)

So stupid question........what to do with the left over wax? Since these are my first question I don't have tart stuff or whatever tarts are :)

What do you do when you melt and pour later? Does the fragrance stay? Do you add it to new stuff or what?

Stupid Noob I am! Sorry

Dana:o

I have a little "collection" of my bits of wax that I didn't need. I take a bowl and line it with foil - then just keep pouring the "overages" in there.

I am PLANNING on using this wax for firestarters........as soon as I get a chance.......lol The bowl is getting quite full....:D

instead of having left over wax make tarts just go to any store that carries baking supplies and buy foil muffin liners and pour the left over in them wrap and you have a great little tart for your warmer no waste also I have been getting some cute shapes at the dollar tree in the party section there are stars and hearts foil they may have to be cut in half if you put them in a small warmer but then you have 2 for 1 , I just sit them right on my warmer, 48 for a dollar

If you "search" fire starters, there is quite a bit of discussion on them. I have not quite figured it all out yet, but I am sure ready with the wax when the time comes! :D

If I have extra votive wax, I do have a small grubby silicone mold that we make little grubby melts with our overpours - we can then give them to customers to try out scents.

If it is the jar wax, I just keep that in my bowl for my future fire starters! lol