Considering ad space

funkymonkey66

Internet sales are not driven solely by internet advertising. Cross-media advertising is very effective if placed well. It helps to advertise locally and regionally AND point traffic to your site, which can boost your standing and sales locally, as well as increase internet sales.

For example, every state has a state newspaper association which places ads in many papers across the state for one low, low price. In your ad, you include your phone number and your website addy.

One classified ad in a popular magazine (like Organic Gardening, for example), though expensive per column inch, might net some worthwhile sales and traffic to your site.

Just because you want internet sales, don't ignore local ways of getting your site URL out there. MANY people shop locally from websites! Offer a "Local Delivery/PickUp" option for local customers. If you are concerned about people coming to your home for pickup, arrange your shopping cart to give this option to only certain GOLD customers (your family & close friends) or something... Delivery COULD include things like, "I'm going to WalMart at 2:30 - meet me in front." :wink2:

Flyers under windshield wipers at local sports events (high school basketball, baseball, football, for example) with a website contact can also be effective and very inexpensive.

Got a friend in business? Provide them with a stack of coupons (don't forget an expiration date on them!) with your number and website addy on them for your friend to pass out as a *perk* to their customers. Make a little display for business owners to burn a complimentary candle with your coupons next to it. Be GENEROUS with discount coupons and remember that happy local customers have family all over the place. Offer a small discount for new customers sent by existing customers (and give the old customers a discount when the new customer buys something). If a customer buys a candle as a gift, be SURE they have a discount coupon for more candles included with the gift

If your ad budget is fatter, try local cable advertising.

Get a magnetic sign for the side of your car with your website and phone number in BIG letters. If local ordinances allow, put a sign in your yard with your business name and web addy. Wear a TEE SHIRT with your web addy on it! You can print the iron-on transfers for the tee shirts on your own printer.

Every tiny bit of advertising you do should feature your business name and website addy prominently. HTH:D

Thanks Stella !!! I was actually looking for online places to advertise.

I would think a internet site where candle consumers meet would be the Perfect place to advertise.Most of us do already know how to market our product locally.In fact most of the advice you give I saw posted on this forum before.

Thanks Stella. I already advertise alot of the ways you mentioned. I was just looking for more online venues. Thanks.

The only thing I do not agree with is the flyer under the windsheid wiper thing. I hate when people touch my car and usually end up calling the # on the flyer and reeming the business out for it. Just a pet peeve I guess.

Sorry to have been repetitive and not topical. Marketing is a field in which I worked for many years. Perhaps I am different from most buyers in that I don't use "listing" sites as I know they are simply advertising sites where anyone can pay for a listing - no guarantees on quality, etc. I can find as many or more places from which to buy by searching Google, eBay or ETSY. So, if I was looking for ways to be "found" on the internet, I would be researching more about how to make my site rise to the top rankings of search engines and popular sites such as eBay and ETSY. :wink2:

So how do you get to the top of google and eBay? I assume it would cost big $$$ and even if you do the pay per click ads that is not guaranteed exactly where you will end up.

Actually I know how to get on the homepage of ebay for pretty cheap. It was a marketing thing I bought and it works. Think it cost me 20 buck or so for the pdf file I was just shocked I never thought of it.