Received Lotion Base....a bit disappointed

MochaMama

I ordered lotion base from a company, whose name I won't mention right now, around the beginning of the month. Not only did it take over two weeks for the samples to reach me (even though the company is quite close to me) but one of the samples of lotion has little grains in it. Can any of you lotion makers hazard a guess as to why?

I ordered three samples and two of the other samples, a "concentrate" and regular lotion were perfectly fine, so that leaves out it freezing along the way....besides it hasn't been that cold here in the East Coast.

I am really disappointed because several people recommended this company and they offer preservative free lotion bases, but now, I'm a little leery about ordering because of the grain factor.:sad2:

I am going to send a friendly email to the company and ask about it.

Are there any butters in the lotion? I've almost quit using shea because of the way it gets kind of gritty.

Yes, it was shea butter lotion. The problem is, I love it, it is very silky and sinks in so well! But between the wait time and the grainies-bainies.....

I think I'm more disappointed because I really like the base!

Shea grainyness is actually pretty easy for me to explain to customers. I tell them that it is little bits of shea and they will melt right onto your skin providing all the wonderful benefits of shea without the greasyness, etc.

Like Henry Ford said, "If you can't fix it, feature it"

The last time I made whipped shea butter, I ended up with little grains. I played it off by saying they were just extra moisturizing beads that will melt on your skin. I REFUSED to waste 2 lbs of shea. I had someone ask me for more of that stuff with the little beads. Oooppssss, it is MUCH easier to explain sometimes that is the nature of shea than try to create "moisture beads" :o ROFL

I'm glad I ordered the samples instead of a whole gallon at once. I'm going to check out a few other places that have "paraben free" lotion bases - I think Soaper's Workshop has some plus I'm going to check out wholesale natural body care.

I was less perturbed by the shea grains than by the fact it took 14 days to receive from one state away!!!

Thanks for the feedback ladies - I'm going to have to remember the "moisture shea beads" - sort of like jojoba beads, :) .

I've got Lindsay's (Soaper's Workshop) shea butter lotion base... no grains in it and I can testify that Lindsay ships fast (lol). She offers a choice of preservative for her bases - parabens or germall plus. Her lotions absorb quickly with no greasy feeling, though I think the 1:1 ratio of base to water I've been using is feeling a tad light. Going to go with less water for my next batch so it's slightly heavier on the goodies :)

I've got Lindsay's (Soaper's Workshop) shea butter lotion base... no grains in it and I can testify that Lindsay ships fast (lol). She offers a choice of preservative for her bases - parabens or germall plus. Her lotions absorb quickly with no greasy feeling, though I think the 1:1 ratio of base to water I've been using is feeling a tad light. Going to go with less water for my next batch so it's slightly heavier on the goodies :)

thanks Jadryga! I was reading up on her base and I'm just going to go with her. Thanks for the tip about the dilution too. I like a cream like lotion - I'm planning on putting it into jars rather than bottles.

The grainy bits could also be undissolved stearic acid. I got a lotion base from a supplier once (not a shea butter formula, either), and the whole thing was unusable because of that. The supplier told me to warm it and they would go away. Well, short of practically boiling it, they didn't go away, and the heat from trying to dissolve it destroyed the preservative. Lesson learned...

~Sue

I ordered some samples a few months ago that had pet hairs in them. I contacted the supplier she tried to say at first that it was cardboard particles that had gotten into the jars from the box she had them stored in.

I took pics and emailed her and told her that there were also pet hairs on some of the labels also. She then said that she had a lady helping her out and she must have used some sample bottles that she had set aside to discard because they were dirty. She said she would fix me up some replacement samples personally and resend them.

Well she did and you guessed it, they had pet hairs in them too. Needless to say that was money wasted, and a learning experience. I didn't bother to email her again, I figured it wouldn't help anything. And besides, I won't be ordering anything from her anyway, so I don't need anymore samples.

I'm not opposed to pets in the home, but if you are going to run a business from that same home, you need to keep your pets out of your business.

That was just disgusting.

Oh my goodness, pet hairs????

I have curly hair myself and you'd better believe I've got those curls tied down tight when I'm whipping shea/melting soap, etc. Just to be sure no personal part of me, besides the love that I am putting into my product:wink2: , reaches the customer.

And shame on her for sending a second set of samples with pet hairs on them too.

Maybe the dog/cat works for her and helps pack the supplies!!!LOL

I don't like to put names on a message board, but let's just say she carries many of the same b&b bases as WSP.

Just to clarify, it wasn't WSP they have always been great and all of my supplies from them have been top notch. The biggest reason I ordered from this person rather than from WSP is because she offered larger sample packs than WSP and I could save a little money, or so I thought.

That should tell many of you who it was, but if you are still curious please pm me and I will let you know.

I don't like bashing others, but I do feel some responsibility to share my experiences good and bad. We all spend alot of money one supplies to fuel our addictions, we need to be able to make informed decisions about the supplies we buy and from whom we buy them. Sometimes that means posting the not so pleasant experiences too.

Hopefully my incident was isolated and it won't happen to anyone else, but I will never order from her again.

I don't like to put names on a message board, but let's just say she carries many of the same b&b bases as WSP.

Just to clarify, it wasn't WSP they have always been great and all of my supplies from them have been top notch. The biggest reason I ordered from this person rather than from WSP is because she offered larger sample packs than WSP and I could save a little money, or so I thought.

That should tell many of you who it was, but if you are still curious please pm me and I will let you know.

I don't like bashing others, but I do feel some responsibility to share my experiences good and bad. We all spend alot of money one supplies to fuel our addictions, we need to be able to make informed decisions about the supplies we buy and from whom we buy them. Sometimes that means posting the not so pleasant experiences too.

Hopefully my incident was isolated and it won't happen to anyone else, but I will never order from her again.

ok, now I'm sure I'm thinking of the right supplier & you are not the first to have the same, or similar experience.

I highly recommend Soapers Workshop(Lindsay) as well. She will ship your bases using FRB. That saved me a lot of money :D

I took your recommendation and not only did Soapers Workshop respond quickly to my email (I'm talking a matter of minutes here...), ship it flat rate, but my products got here within four days - I'm in NJ, she's in Utah (if I remember correctly). And my base is GREAT!!!!!