Need some help please re: tomorrow's soap recipe:

lothrid

I plan on making a two pound batch of soap using NG Baby Bee Buttermilk. Their website states that there is no acceleration in CP and only a slight discoloration: I want to add a some ground oats...Would two TBS at trace be adequate? What type of oats can I use? Also...(I know lots of questions here) can I add 1 or TPS of honey?

Here is the recipe I am going to use:

Lard 30%

Coconut 15%

Shea 5%

Castor 10%

Olive 40%

Soap Calc Results:

Hardness 33

Cleansing 10

Condition 63

Bubbly lath. 19

Creamy lath. 31

Iodine 63

Okay one more ?...when I use soapcalc 9. So I need to change the lye concentration to a specific % say 33% or just leave it as is? Thanks so much ladies!!!!! :D

-Jamie

I plan on making a two pound batch of soap using NG Baby Bee Buttermilk. Their website states that there is no acceleration in CP and only a slight discoloration: I want to add a some ground oats...Would two TBS at trace be adequate? What type of oats can I use? Also...(I know lots of questions here) can I add 1 or TPS of honey?

Lard 30%

Coconut 15%

Shea 5%

Castor 10%

Olive 40%

Soap Calc Results:

Hardness 33

Cleansing 10

Condition 63

Bubbly lath. 19

Creamy lath. 31

Iodine 63

Okay one more ?...when I use soapcalc 9. So I need to change the lye concentration to a specific % say 33% or just leave it as is? Thanks so much ladies!!!!! :D

-Jamie

I personally would not use 2TBS of oats but would use 2 tsp - a little bit goes a long way. But this is me. I don't like alot of oats in my soap as to me it is too scrubbie. I use just regular uncooked oats; I like to run them through my little grinder too before I add them. The smaller the pieces, the less they scrubbie they feel to me. You can try the 2 TBS and see if you like it.

The amount of honey you want to add is O.K., but be careful because the honey will heat the soap up and your oils could separate.

I think your recipe will give you a very conditioning bar, with a creamy lather but probably not huge bubbly lather. Because you have a higher percentage of oo, it will end up being a harder bar than the numbers indicate but it will need some time to cure. Soaps high in OO are like that. OO is not a great lathering oil but makes for a milder soap with a creamier type lather. If you want to up your bubbly lather, besides upping the co, you can also add babassu and/or pko.

You can change the lye concentration on the soap calc. Just click the set button and change it. Or you can leave it at the what it defaults to.

I personally would not use 2TBS of oats but would use 2 tsp - a little bit goes a long way. But this is me. I don't like alot of oats in my soap as to me it is too scrubbie. I use just regular uncooked oats; I like to run them through my little grinder too before I add them. The smaller the pieces, the less they scrubbie they feel to me. You can try the 2 TBS and see if you like it.

The amount of honey you want to add is O.K., but be careful because the honey will heat the soap up and your oils could separate.

I think your recipe will give you a very conditioning bar, with a creamy lather but probably not huge bubbly lather. Because you have a higher percentage of oo, it will end up being a harder bar than the numbers indicate but it will need some time to cure. Soaps high in OO are like that. OO is not a great lathering oil but makes for a milder soap with a creamier type lather. If you want to up your bubbly lather, besides upping the co, you can also add babassu and/or pko.

You can change the lye concentration on the soap calc. Just click the set button and change it. Or you can leave it at the what it defaults to.

Thanks, Meridith, should I up the castor to 15% and put the OO down to 35%? :D

-Jamie

Lard 30%

Coconut 15%

Shea 5%

Castor 10%

Olive 40%

-Jamie

Honestly with high amounts of castor and shea, you can get away with 25/30% coconut. You should really up the coconut to 25. dont up the castor too high, otherwise you will get DOS for sure. Try this one.

Lard 30%

Coconut 25%

Shea 5%

Castor 10%

Olive 30%

Thanks, Meridith, should I up the castor to 15% and put the OO down to 35%? :D

-Jamie

I would not do that. As Carrie said, it can cause DOS and/or make your soap feel sticky. I never use over 10% castor - usually I only use 5% but will use 10% in my castille soap.