Questions about my container and also wick choices

I'm trying 4627 for my first container candles.

The jar I would like to use is 12oz, 3" in diameter and 4.5" in high.

Is that too big or ambitious for a first candle? Can I re-use the jars when the candles don't turn out?

I've searched the forum on 4627 and of course since everyone's experiences are different I've found just as many different choices for wicks.

How do I even know where to start with my first wick? There are so many different brands and types. I don't know what sizes mean what. I've seen some kits too that have various sizes of each brand. I'm totally overwhelmed. I'll be buying from Candle Science because they are closest. They recommend ECO 8 as the first choice, followed by RRD 47, then HTP 83, LX-20, 44-32-18z.

I realize I will have to do testing etc. but honestly I don't even know where to start... :embarasse

Thanks,

Dana

Dana, if you review the first page or two of this forum, you will find a topic about Wick charts. If you go to the sites cited there, you will find a lot of information about which wicks are recommended with what applications and waxes.

Most suppliers offer wick samplers which can be invaluable when you are starting out.

I started using many different containers, but quickly settled on 8 oz. widemouth canning jars. Because they are shorter in height than they are in width, they were easy for me to learn to wick. Yes, you can reuse containers for your own testing purposes, but customers should receive new glassware. Good luck! :D

When I started with that wax a short time ago, I started with zinc, then HTP wicks and wasn't happy with the burn at all. Then I got some of the ECO wicks, like Candlescience recommended as their first choice. I did some last week in my 5 oz jars using an ECO2, and they burned great. For the 9 oz jar, they recommend the ECO8, so I will be trying that soon. But I have RRD's yet to test as well. You are just going to have to start playing and see what works. On the jars I used HTP & Zinc wicks with, I just burn them all the way down, helping them along the way (by using my handy-dandy butter knife to gently push the wax down). Then I re-use the jars as testers. I don't really sell, but if I did, I wouldn't sell one of those. I've read that the stability of the jar can be compromised after many burns, so that worries me.

Anyway, hope this helps some. By the way, I started with a votive kit a year ago, then branched out to try jars. I found votives to be relatively easy to make. Got my kit from Cajun. I still make more votives than anything.:D

Valerie

Thanks for the input Top, does the shape of the jar make a difference as well?

I will look for something a bit smaller.....and will check back to see what you say about shape, etc. (tall thin, short squatty, straight sides, curved etc.)

Thanks!

Dana

To answer your question about the shape...for me starting out it did....I would suggest a container that the diameter is the same for the whole jar..

When you get into having parts of the jar that are narrower than others....wicking becomes trickier....master the easier ones first

Do you think that the 4627 is not the best choice for a first timer? The kit I was going to buy had the 4630 in it.

I'm certainly open to suggestions for other waxes (and trying to hide my unexplainable aversion to jelly jars lol)...but will use them for learning purposes if I must :wink2:

thanks so much

dana

I would start with a straight sided jelly jar. That would be the easiest imho to wick and to learn on. :2cents:

See, Dana? Grama found those easiest for her, but I had difficulty with those jars! Go figure!

Just dive in somewhere and find what works best for you! We can all point you in different directions, but they are all subjective - each person's gotta discover what works best for them - no short cuts! :laugh2:

I think that is why I get so confused......everyone has had such different experiences.

I'm just going to buy some stuff and see what happens....!

Thanks everyone, you all are a great help!

:yay:

dana

That is the best way...just stick with one type of jar to get started....master that then move on to the next - good luck with everything :grin2:

I think that is why I get so confused......everyone has had such different experiences.

I'm just going to buy some stuff and see what happens....!

I wouldn't be too random about it. In reality, a lot of people start with a difficult first candle design and go through more frustration and expense than they need to. Try not to get confused by the torrent of posts you get around here. Believe it or not, some people answering you have never poured 4627 in their lives.

Pretty much any wax is fine to start with. Each one has something wrong with it and something right with it. It's really about how all the pieces of the puzzle come together that makes a candle work well.

4627 can make a really superb candle, but it can be a little harder to wick than some. If you start with a 3 inch container you'll be at the point where it starts to get tricky. Plus a 3 inch straight sided cylinder is one of the harder container types. It gets air currents that blow the flame over to the side and make it flicker as the wax level starts to go down. The combination of those two things could suck some joy out of your experience.

Taking let's say 1/4 inch off the diameter makes the wicking worlds easier and cuts down on the pesky flickering.

What are some suggestions for an easier but still good wax other than 4627?

As far as the smaller diameter jar, say 2.75, is the straight side still the easiest to work with?

I appreciate everyone's input here :) And I am glad no one is open this weekend because I keep changing my order lol!!!

Again many thanks

Dana

What are some suggestions for an easier but still good wax other than 4627?

As far as the smaller diameter jar, say 2.75, is the straight side still the easiest to work with?

There's not necessarily an easier container blend. Each one has it's good points and each potentially poses difficulties of one sort or another. In the long run it's a matter of personal preference, but since you have to start with something it might as well be that one. It certainly is capable of making an exceptionally beautiful candle with good scent throw.

I'm won't venture to say what container shape is easiest at 2.75" but straight sides work fine at that diameter.

Oh boy I think I'm on the right track! LOL Dana you're asking questions is helping this noob as well! Thank you! :)

I never asked about the container sizes here, because I read 3 inch diameter could be tricky to wick. It's good to see I've absorbed a lot of what I've been reading here.

3 inch is the size, where most people say it gets tricky. I chose the 12 oz madison straight sided for my planning. They're 2 1/2 diameter and 4 1/2 tall. From what I've read, if you go too tall, the wick can start to act funny as it burns down, so I was thinking a 2 1/2 medium to low jar would be a good place to practice at.

yes I tend to ask a LOT of questions......glad you are benefiting as well :)

What is the Madison jar you are going to use? I was hoping to find something about 10-12 oz that isn't too tricky.

I've not found a jar yet that size that is less than 3" in diameter....

Thanks

Dana

Now that I've been thinking about it, an 8 oz candle 2.75" wide seems like the perfect first container. Narrow enough to avoid wicking problems. Not so narrow that oxygen will be a problem. Not so tall that you can't get a flat surface with one pour.

You're right, the container size you've been considering will often be about 3" wide. But right now it's more important to learn and have your first success than to make your dream candle. That can be project number two. :)

yes I tend to ask a LOT of questions......glad you are benefiting as well :)

What is the Madison jar you are going to use? I was hoping to find something about 10-12 oz that isn't too tricky.

I've not found a jar yet that size that is less than 3" in diameter....

Thanks

Dana

Here's the madison jar I'm going to use. The 12 oz one. I'm getting it somewhere else though. From a local candle making supply place. http://www.yessupplyco.com/products/studio_capri_madison_jars.htm