Who makes a basic M&P soap to use later

Jo Ann

[quote=Jo Ann;585721]well if i have the ingredients already then why not make a batch to put away until a time when i need to throw a batch together real fast and not have to worry about letting the soap cure. like say, someone's birthday who happens to love the smell of bergamot and frankensense. thats all.

didn't want to use m&p since it sounds as if the sorbital is added after trace, and yes i wear gloves, just rather not mess with stuff i react badly too, have alot of allergies, and sorbital is just great for causing diarrhea

You'll just have to try it out and see if you like it that way-you'd just be REbatching CP soap, and it doesn't ever come out smooth like the original (as someone else posted)-ask me how I know-I made "cornbread" soap! LOL

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong- wouldn't be the first time if I am, lol...but I don't think you HAVE to have any ingredient listing at all in soap. As long as you aren't trying to make any cosmetic or health claims. It is a good idea to offer the ingredients so that people who have allergies and other issues with certain things can be aware... but not necessary. So a vague listing such as the one posted above is actually fine.

the other list of ingredients i had listed before where from Peak's aloe vera soap base.

And Peak's sells only SFIC brand bases, including the Aloe Vera type.

Trust us, the secret to making quality m&p soap bases is well-kept and would very likely require an extremely large investment in equipment, time and materials. You're not going to get a more satisfying answer from this board than, "Buy pre-made bases for m&p projects". It's *the* way to get instant soap without curing.

SFIC's bases are considered the most natural, but some folks like the other m&p bases better anyway. Which ones have you tried?

IMHO, you really can't complain too much about SFIC using trace amounts of sorbitol, especially if you haven't tried it yet. It's a wash-off product, I doubt it could cause the same reactions that ingesting it would...

I was able to find a local supplier that sells SFIC, many of them do. I just drive out and pick up a few pounds when I need it. Try a few different bases, see which ones you like, then, if you decide you still want to experiment, at least you'll know what qualities you're looking for...

You'll just have to try it out and see if you like it that way-you'd just be REbatching CP soap, and it doesn't ever come out smooth like the original (as someone else posted)-ask me how I know-I made "cornbread" soap! LOL

oh bummer. did it make good bubble bath???:D

And Peak's sells only SFIC brand bases, including the Aloe Vera type.

Trust us, the secret to making quality m&p soap bases is well-kept and would very likely require an extremely large investment in equipment, time and materials. You're not going to get a more satisfying answer from this board than, "Buy pre-made bases for m&p projects". It's *the* way to get instant soap without curing.

IMHO, you really can't complain too much about SFIC using trace amounts of sorbitol, especially if you haven't tried it yet. It's a wash-off product, I doubt it could cause the same reactions that ingesting it would...

well if one is allergic to sorbital it can and probably is a problem. i wouldn't want it in my soap, just incase. just a small bit of real strawberry ingested by me can put me in the hospital. i never eat anything that is red or pink unless i know there are no real strawberry ingredients.

i think alot of ppl missed what i was asking. i realize now i can't make m&p. and the reason i don't want to buy it is because i want the satisfaction that I made it myself. its all just as simple as that.

Some months ago we had a discussion on rebatching (I believe in this forum) where someone said they always rebatch and it always comes out nice and smooth. I have also read about others who make a master batch and scent as orders come in. It has to depend on your basic recipe; I have found a softer bar soap rebatches easier than a hard soap. You would have to experiment and find what works for you. For myself I can’t make even a softer soap look decent when i rebatch and find it’s just too much work to mess with for the results. The addition of large amounts of glycerin will make it softer, and I have no doubt it would be possible to make a soap you can melt and pour at home. It would take experimentation, time and supplies to find the right balance of oils to do it, something I’m not willing to do as I like the results of the CP recipes I use now. Jo Ann… try it. You may find you like rebatching, you may find you don’t… but you won’t know til you try.

Blazerina… here in the US we do not have to list ingredients in soap as long as we make no claims it does anything other than clean and as long as it does not contain any detergent or other products that fall under the FDA.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-215.html

"'True' soaps are regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, not FDA, and do not require ingredient labeling."

Some months ago we had a discussion on rebatching (I believe in this forum) where someone said they always rebatch and it always comes out nice and smooth. I have also read about others who make a master batch and scent as orders come in. It has to depend on your basic recipe; I have found a softer bar soap rebatches easier than a hard soap. You would have to experiment and find what works for you. For myself I can’t make even a softer soap look decent when i rebatch and find it’s just too much work to mess with for the results. The addition of large amounts of glycerin will make it softer, and I have no doubt it would be possible to make a soap you can melt and pour at home. It would take experimentation, time and supplies to find the right balance of oils to do it, something I’m not willing to do as I like the results of the CP recipes I use now. Jo Ann… try it. You may find you like rebatching, you may find you don’t… but you won’t know til you try.

thank grammy, i will try. i think i would enjoy being able to take a m&p and experiment on it as well. i have a tendency to make the softer soap anyway, that is what turned me on to homemade soap, the one i really liked was soft and creamy. unlike me, ruff and dry...LOL

oops. i mean grandma. i am the mean grammy. :angry2: unlike the other grandma they have. LOL

Yep, just buy the SFIC bases in bulk, way cheaper than trying to figure out how to make your own, even if you did figure it out, still cheaper. ;)

I use the SFIC bases exclusively, I really like them. I add all kinds of crap... errr ingredients to them and they work wonderfully! :D

I agree about the gloves, and think that people making ANY B&B product should be wearing gloves anyway. Always assumed (hoped) that everyone does-but that's just me and my hygeine phobia maybe??? :confused:

Ilove to by directly from SFIC but howis the shipping on 400 pounds of M&P come out. Do they use UPS or freight it to you. I do plan to order the samples 17lbs of soap bases. I have a few tester who got a bar of my M & P soaps and they want more until I perfect the CP. I don't plan to sell it but what would the shipping be like? I would image the could UPS it. Just wondering...

Fire

Just like DMSO through the skin gives you a funny taste in your mouth. quote]

DMSO great stuff for strains, sprains and muscle sorness...anyway...

it's always fun to try and make stuff just to see if you can. :D

The SFIC stuff is nice...UPS shipping will probably be a lot. UPS is doing another price increase I think by the end of Dec. for another 4.9%...:tongue2: I'd love to order from them too but the shipping...:tongue2: Just can't..shipping would be a driving force for me to try and see if I could recreate a base like M&Ps.

Imagine how great it would be to just be able to whip the stuff up then having to order and pay out all that money shipping.

Just like DMSO through the skin gives you a funny taste in your mouth. quote]

DMSO great stuff for strains, sprains and muscle sorness...anyway...

Here's an article outlining it for horse use:

http://www.horseproducts.stablemade.com/_Articles/dmso.htm

Strong precautions for the human... I can't believe humans use this. I mean, I know they do, but still. :)