Who makes a basic M&P soap to use later

Jo Ann

i am thinking of making a several batches of a base soap to use as m&p for when i don't have time or inclination to make soap that needs made.

does anyone do this?

I am thinking of a plain base recipe, a base recipe with goat milk, a castile (which would be good for my dog and horses) and not sure what a 4th would be since i am still researching recipes and stuff. is this a good idea?

Sorry, but I don't think it is possible to make your own melt and pour. Those are usually syndet bars I believe.

You can make large batches and then rebatch, but its alot of work and won't ever be smooth and easy to pour. Most of us save that for salvaging botched or ugly soaps. HTH:grin2:

why would you want to do M&P base yourself once you have mastered HP?

As far as making CP soap shreds for later use, it is possible as long as you don't let them dry out. Your rebatches will be similar to HP soap, and you can add whatever you want to them just as you would add to HP... but there is so much more work involved...

well i found several places that make it from scratch without any syndet. I guess i will have to research how to make it properly. peak candles m&p didn't have syndet.

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Melt-and-Pour-Soap-Bases.aspx

I've never tried theirs, but I have heard there are some really nice MP bases out there. I've seen people do really beautiful things with them.

But, I've never heard of anyway to make one yourself from scratch. I don't know of anyway to get the fluidity, that MP bases have, yourself.

If someone knows different please let me know! :grin2:

I don’t do HP, it’s to much like work for me, and my results are less than I desire. Nice soap but never pretty. Rebatching is less work (though more than CP since you first have to make the CP then rebatch it) but same problem with appearances. I know others have made beautiful soaps with HP and rebatching, maybe you’ll be one of them. Oh, and if the soap you want to rebatch is only a day or two old you don’t need to add water but if it’s well cured I have found adding just enough water to damp (I wet my hands and toss the soap with them, rewetting my hands if necessary, works for me) then tightly cover and let set over night works well for me.

I found this on miller site some time ago, how to make glycerin soap. http://www.millersoap.com/glycerinsoap.html . It may or may not be what you’re looking for. I haven’t tried it. If you do please let us knw how it works.

i thought m&p was made the same way as other soap, just without the additives. i thought if i had time, i could make a base, put it away and if i needed to make a soap with additives, i could just melt the m&p add the stuff and then the soap wouldn't have to cure all over again. but i maybe wrong headed about this.

It sounds like you are talking about rebatching or milling? That would be regular CP soap that is later shredded and additives and/or fragrance is added. It doesn't melt as much as M&P soap does.

M&P is melt & pour soap that is melted to a liquid stage, then poured into molds.

Yes, i know what m&P is, what i wonder is if i can make it and save it for use later on.

i don't mean remilling or rebatching because it wouldn't have any additives as yet.

MP must be bought! It is made commercially!

I dont' know what makes it so liquidy and easily melted.

But, NO you cannot make it at home.

HTH:smiley2:

hmmm. if it can be made with natural ingrediants, why can't we? i mean they give you the ingredients and they are the same ones ppl use here. nothing different added, just don't know the amounts.

here are the ingredients of a store bought. the only thing different is sorbitol

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerine (kosher, of vegetable origin), Aloe Vera gel, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide (saponifying agent), Sorbitol (moisturizer), Sorbitan Oleate (emulsifier) and Soybean Protein (conditioner).

i just wonder what soribitol can be exchanged with. would rather work with it, gives me the runs. :undecided

Hi there, I've seen several recipes for making Transparent Soap using Lye, Oils, Sugar, Glycerin and Alcohol but never anything that can be remelted like M&P can, I don't see why it can't be made at home but I have searched and have never found a single recipe for making melt and pour, only transparent soaps for immediate use:

Home made transparent soap is different from M&P, if you try to melt it again, it will loose its transparency, you will have to adjust the solvents and you may end up with a soft sticky soap. If you absolutely have to remelt the soap, do it as soon as possible after making it, but be prepared to add alcohol, glycerin and sugar solution again.

Melany

i just wonder what soribitol can be exchanged with. would rather work with it, gives me the runs. :undecided

Do you make edible soap? Or are you thinking it will go through your blood stream. Since you are a nurse, maybe you know something I don't. :confused:

I'm guessing- just guessing- that it is somewhere in the PROCESS - not so much the ingredients that make the manufacture of Glycerine soap very different than CP. We can't extract glycerine from saponified oils, etc etc. That kind of thing is what I mean. I think also it is in the machinery and process they use that render a stable product that you can melt and remelt with out the loss of form.

when i was 17 i used to work in a pharmacutical company and i used to box mag citrate with the old style beer type tops, you could only work that line half a day a week, cuz the mag would be absorbed thru your hands....and you would get the dumpies really bad. i was just making that comment incase sorbital would be liquid and I absorbed it. hehehe so i just have a tendency to stay away from things that make me go or make me possibly not pass a drug test LOL.

it may be the process...but peak also does goat milk m&p....that wouldnt be a glycerin soap then would it?

What exactly is your definition of "glycerin soap"?

They're all technically "glycerin soaps", since glycerin's a byproduct of saponification. Do you mean glycerin soap as in MP, or glycerin soap as in soap with added glycerin?

If I remember right, Peak's carries SFIC bases.

I don't think i know what SFIC bases are.

The store bought you listed earlier sure sounds like SFIC ingredients.

I'm curious why you'd want to make your own and not just buy it? It's got to be cheaper just to buy the base.

when i was 17 i used to work in a pharmacutical company and i used to box mag citrate with the old style beer type tops, you could only work that line half a day a week, cuz the mag would be absorbed thru your hands....and you would get the dumpies really bad. i was just making that comment incase sorbital would be liquid and I absorbed it. hehehe so i just have a tendency to stay away from things that make me go or make me possibly not pass a drug test LOL.

Why on earth weren't you wearing gloves?? When I worked at a horse breeding farm, one of the main rules when handling Regumate was the women had to wear gloves since it could mess with your cycles. Just like DMSO through the skin gives you a funny taste in your mouth. Wear gloves.

I tried making my own M&P, when I first started. It used the other lye, alcohol and glycerin and you had to cook it for a long time. Never did turn out right. Since you already know how bought M&P works, I don't know anything else to say except try and maybe yours will be better. But when you make your own it's really not to be remelted, just poured in to molds. Check out SFIC's web site, they have a sample pack you can buy. It's a good deal.

http://www.sficcorp.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=208

Yep, just buy the SFIC bases in bulk, way cheaper than trying to figure out how to make your own, even if you did figure it out, still cheaper. ;)

I use the SFIC bases exclusively, I really like them. I add all kinds of crap... errr ingredients to them and they work wonderfully! :D

I agree about the gloves, and think that people making ANY B&B product should be wearing gloves anyway. Always assumed (hoped) that everyone does-but that's just me and my hygeine phobia maybe??? :confused:

well if i have the ingredients already then why not make a batch to put away until a time when i need to throw a batch together real fast and not have to worry about letting the soap cure. like say, someone's birthday who happens to love the smell of bergamot and frankensense. thats all.

didn't want to use m&p since it sounds as if the sorbital is added after trace, and yes i wear gloves, just rather not mess with stuff i react badly too, have alot of allergies, and sorbital is just great for causing diarrhea

I

. Check out SFIC's web site, they have a sample pack you can buy. It's a good deal.

http://www.sficcorp.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=208

thanx, went and checked out their site, thats a heck of a deal 17 pounds for 30 some dollars. but this is what they listed as ingredients:

Saponified Vegetable Oils (mainly coconut)

Glycerine (kosher, of vegetable origin)

Purified Water

Moisturizer

Emulsifier

don't you need more specific ingredients to sell soap made from this base?

the other list of ingredients i had listed before where from Peak's aloe vera soap base.