Getting a deep orange

Jeana

I'm looking to color some CP soap like a pumpkin color or even a little darker. I want it to have a solid look when it is finished. I have some liquid color that ended up a bit transluscent for the look I was going for. Anyone have some ideas?

Pureed baby carrots will give you a nice light orangey yellow and not a deep orange color or at least it does for me. If you have any Select Shades, there are many oranges you can make with those. Even using Selects Shades' orange marmalade alone gives a nice orange IMO.

Paprika gives a nice peachy color usually, beautiful but not quite orange.

you can try to mix yellow and red oxide, though the orange you get from that is a bit dull. but since you are looking for a solid color it could work. here is the sample soap

whitePeach.jpg

oh, here is another option -- annatto powder, or the oil infused with annatto! this picture shows it as yellow orange, but the concentration of it was pretty low:

patchouli.jpg

hope this helps

Paprika gives a nice peachy color usually, beautiful but not quite orange.

you can try to mix yellow and red oxide, though the orange you get from that is a bit dull. but since you are looking for a solid color it could work. here is the sample soap

whitePeach.jpg

oh, here is another option -- annatto powder, or the oil infused with annatto! this picture shows it as yellow orange, but the concentration of it was pretty low:

patchouli.jpg

hope this helps

Wow those are pretty soaps. :drool:

will chili pepper (as in pepper spice) help color? hmmmm...maybe i will heat some aloe vera with that in it.

I would be afraid of that irritating to the skin!

How about scorching a milk soap! That always turns it a nice orange for me! LOL:laugh2:

I couldn't resist!:grin2:

Merideth,

Thanks for the examples. The color of the swirls in your top soap are the perfect color I am looking for. On my computer it doesn't look peachy, but more of a burnt orange. You got that by using paprika? How much did you use to get it that dark? I want to have an entire layer of orange, dark and solid. Did you mix it in oil first or filter it at all, or does it mix thoroughly and well? I don't want to have it look speckled at all.

Is select shades a liquid or powder? Does anyone have an example of the dark orange they have gotten from select shades?

The liquid I was using before needed so much to make a dark color, and each little bottle was about $6 plus shipping. That is way too much.

The scent I am doing this with will be Patchouli, Lav, and orange EOs.

Jeana,

Examples were mine, so I'm assuming questions are adressed to me as well.

For the top swirl I used red and yellow oxides, a lot more yellow then red. I can't tell you in what proportion because i didn't measure, just kept adding bits of of red to yellow oxide until i got what i wanted. I think I had about 1/4 tsp of oxide for a 1 to 1-1/2 cups of soap. I bring the soap to the trace, then pour some into a cup with the color already pre-mixed, and stir. to nake sure that there are no specs, i add some very hot water to my oxides first. stickblending your colored soap helps too, though sometimes it is not an option.

Select Shades is liquid, and your mixing possibilities are huge with them. but your soap will be more translucent with them (at least mine always is). You can read up on them here http://www.selectshades.com/

Oopsie, sorry NNK for giving credit to the wrong person. I was hoping I could work with oxides or micas to get the color I want. Now I have to put in an order, I don't have red or yellow.

I don't want the transluscent look at all, so I will try the oxides.

Thanks for the tips. :)