Cancellation of Online Order

countryg

Hi everyone, what do you all do when you have a cancellation of a online order.?

I dealt with this gal half a day or so thru emails with this order she placed on my website, now she says to cancel it after I have it charged to her card and ready to go..

should a person have a policy in place for this type of situation?

what would you do?

Diane

Yes, you definitely need to have a policy in place! My personal policy is they are able to cancel at any time BEFORE IT SHIPS with no fees. Once I've shipped, fees will apply. I don't refund original shipping fee, I don't pay for return shipping. Sometimes I charge a restocking fee, just depends on what they order (i.e. custom/personalized vs. everyday item).

If you have not shipped yet, I don't see that you have much choice other than to cancel the order and refund her money since you didn't have a policy already in place.

If you don't have a policy in place for this already, you won't be able to do anything regarding this order unless you've already shipped it. If you've shipped it, then I'd simply tell her that, and let her know the order can't be canceled at this point.

As for putting a policy into place for future incidents, most places allow to cancel within a certain time frame, such as 24 hours, with a % restocking fee. Example: Orders may be canceled within 24 hours of ordering, but will be charged a 25% restocking fee.

I'd base your time frame on your typical turn around time for shipping. I try to keep most everything I ship on hand in small quantities, so I can ship as early as same day, but it's typically the next day.

If you're being commissioned for any kind of custom work, then get at least a 50% non-refundable deposit, and make sure you always state that it is a non-refundable deposit.

As for the rest, yeah, it sucks, but it's also part of doing business. People are used to big box stores who pretty much take back anything they ask them to. But they have a much larger loss percentage built into their bottom line than we do.

Uh...sorry, it already shipped.....:P I had someone do that to me...already waiting for UPS to p/u, it was a big one, i think $700 or so. I said sorry UPS alrady picked it up, ok, no problem she said. Whew...

If it hasnt been packed or charged, then cancelling isnt a problem.