Does a cured candle...

ubure

I haven't ever tested that theory so I can't say for sure if it would need to re-cure. If I had to guess I'd say maybe it should, just because by melting it back down it's disturbing the molecules and setting them back in motion, so it makes sense that they'd need time to fully settle back down again after it is poured and hardens. HTH!

I agree with Doneen. :DThere are two different things going on during "curing." One is that the newly formed wax crystals are hardening. The second is that the FO is distributing itself into the newly formed wax. I wouldn't expect it to take as long for the fragrance to "cure" into the wax, but the length of time for hardening would remain the same. Give it a few days, then it should be ready to light. :D

This is an interesting question & I get the theory of the answers, but I've never bothered w/ a 2nd cure after remelting. I don't see how it's any different than doing a marathon burn & achieving a deep MP ... as far as the wax heating up & reformulating. It's kinda like I don't get the idea of not refilling suitable containers, but we all use votive holders over & over again (must be magic glass used only in votive holders!). I do most of my candles at night & seldom have time to re-light one by the time I've melted & let it cool completely, so I'd guess I usually wait at least 24 hrs before I light it up again. I've never seen this discussed before, so looks like you need to test & do what you feel is 'right'.

Susan.

Thanks guys for your help!

I as well thought of the wax having to find its place in the remolten wax anew, seemed logical somehow, but I hoped someone would tell me the opposite:D .

My question has a purely practical background - as I have to wait for some custom made containers to arrive I could have prepared the wax, filled the containers later and had alreday cured candles....would have been too easy, right?

I guess I will start some testing with this, maybe could be interesting for more people!

We can't have a scientific explanation for a phenomenon we aren't even sure exists. People have opinions about it and sometimes a lot of people have the same opinion, but I'm not aware of any experiments to prove it.

Improvement in hot throw with cure time could just be about getting over candlenose. People who work with soy are convinced it's more than that. They might be right. On the other hand, candlenose might have a bigger impact because hot throw from soy doesn't have as much punch on the average.

First it would take some careful effort to confirm that cure time does indeed increase hot throw. Then it would take even more effort to figure out why. To my knowledge it's a completely open question. It came up on the Ecosoya message board and they don't know. I'm not sure anyone does.

The last time this came up in our vegetable wax forum, I suggested that remelted wax would have to cure again, but people said it doesn't. That seemed to be the consensus, for whatever reason. It's reasonable enough, since getting a deep melt pool doesn't seem to prevent the candle from throwing if you light it up the next day.

In the spirit of pure wild-ass speculation, Stella's explanation could be the basis of a theory. Let say the majority of fragrance oil tends to occupy the space between the wax crystals. Uneven cooling of a soy candle and its tendency to form crystals of different types and sizes could maybe cause an uneven distribution of fragrance oil in the candle, which might even out over time. Maybe sometimes it has difficulty evening out, which could explain those cases where people lose all the scent throw towards the bottom of the candle. Often that's where the wax starts to crystallize first. Just one possibility.

I'd be willing to become the lab master and spend all my life testing the theories if someone is willing to give me a big enough grant:D

I think i could convince my daughter to help me out and work for free....This would all be on the up and up, legitimate lab, one of those nifty scent detecting tools we've all seen on CSI...the white lab coat and hair net :yay: make me a scientist.

It's kinda like I don't get the idea of not refilling suitable containers, but we all use votive holders over & over again (must be magic glass used only in votive holders!).
Sue, the idea there is not based on "magic glass," it's based on the fact that when refilling containers for SALE, you cannot guarantee what has happened to the glass as it is not new. Its previous owner may have stressed it in many ways that are not observable with the naked eye. I refill my testing containers over and over again, but I do not SELL used containers with a new candle. I also am never surprised when one of my used containers or votive glasses pops every now and then. A customer would not feel the same way about their container popping.:wink2:

I'd be willing to become the lab master and spend all my life testing the theories if someone is willing to give me a big enough grant:D

That might not be difficult. You could do like Prof. Tong Wang. Approach a well-funded industry organization and tell them in advance what conclusions you intend to reach if they'll fund you and some grad students. Then write a bogus paper to present your conclusions and get some press for yourself to help with future grants. However it helps to be some schmuck at an agricultural college who isn't subject to peer review. This gives you scientific freedom.

That might not be difficult. You could do like Prof. Tong Wang. Approach a well-funded industry organization and tell them in advance what conclusions you intend to reach if they'll fund you and some grad students. Then write a bogus paper to present your conclusions and get some press for yourself to help with future grants. However it helps to be some schmuck at an agricultural college who isn't subject to peer review. This gives you scientific freedom.

I'll look into that

:laugh2: :laugh2: Aint it the truth.:rolleyes2

Improvement in hot throw with cure time could just be about getting over candlenose. People who work with soy are convinced it's more than that. They might be right. On the other hand, candlenose might have a bigger impact because hot throw from soy doesn't have as much punch on the average.

First it would take some careful effort to confirm that cure time does indeed increase hot throw.

I had one customer come up to me at the craft fair last weekend. I sell the souffle cups on consignment and she gave me this information.

She had an open house for a jewelry party and had the soy wax melting in twin containers on Monday. Wednesday she remelted the soy in one and said the throw was good - but not great like at the party. On Friday she relocated the 2nd melter to the same location - and the throw was great!

OK - it is unscientific. But it does make me think there may be something to the soy having to cure no matter what the remaining fragrance load is.

I don't say there's nothing to it. Just that it's all anecdotal. Large groups of people have been known to come together and believe something that isn't true before. And if it's true that hot throw increases with time, we don't know why it happens or why the same thing doesn't apply to paraffin candles.

Large groups of people have been known to come together and believe something that isn't true before.

The Curing Gods have spoken directly to me. I have seen the Light. Curing does good things for my soy and palm wax candles, for both the burn and the fragrance. With some FOs, a few days make a big difference; other FOs do not "arrive" until much later. Some are great from the get-go.

Because folks wanna move their stock, I can understand not wanting to mess with it, but I have noted a difference, my partner has noted a difference, some of our customers and family have noted a difference. Not real scientific, but it works for me. :wink2:

But for those who think it's bunk and don't wanna wait out the time, hey! The Curing Police will NOT come to your door and haul you away! You will NOT be Excommunicated!! There will not be mass demonstrations and teargas and dogs...:laugh2::laugh2:This isn't a "hard rule" (there are so few of those in veggie wax candlemaking anyway...) - more like "finesse," IMHO:D

To paraphrase Ernie and Julio Gallo, "I will serve no wine before its time." :D