A fundraiser!? for someone who lives over the ...

Wick'n'Wax

not really - I have no idea what a fundraiser is either. It's not something we do in the UK so just a llittle info as to what it actually is would be interesting.

Seriously - I read these "fundraiser" threads also, and don't have a clue what it's about.

Maybe a school, church, something like that usually has fundraisers to help raise money for their expenses or to buy new products that they need. They pick something they like and they sell the product. Usually the stuff kids bring home from school that the parents end up selling for them. I have seen churches outside in the summer selling all kinds of stuff to raise money.

Of course, they sell these products for much more than they paid, and likewise, the person doing the fundraiser usually sells to them at a discount.

Fund raiser

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Fund Raiser' is an organized event, attempting to collect money. The money to be collected is usually for a specific item or need. The event also can entail gimmicks or activities to promote donor interest. Common fund raising activities include a

dunking tank, custard pie, clowns, plays, guest speakers,marathon, dinner, and CANDLE SALES :wink2: , small item collection such as soup can labels or soda can tabs, and bake sales. The cause is frequently but not exclusively a charity, office holiday party, or political fund raiser for campaign contibiutions. Political fund raisers often charge many times more per dinner plate, and feature guest speaker politician/s and other party support speakers.

why would it be a joke? Different strokes for different folks (and countries) ;)

We have things like school fairs to raise money for the school, ours typically sells things donated, like 2nd hand kids toys etc, people bake and donate cakes, theres face paints, and kids games etc. but nothing new.

I just couldn't figure how the candles come into it.

Do you send samples in, the kids take them home, the parents order them, and you donate a percentage of the sales to the school?

btw, on the other hand, I was quite surprised to learn that not many people in the US knew what a car boot was, over here :D;)

Sigh.... Our schools never get enough government support, and there is always a need for money. Kids get sent home with a paper saying that the school is raising money for whatever, and that the kids are expected to take orders for the items, often magazines, candles, chocolate bars, cookie dough, crappy giftware..., and the school will get a certain % of the sales. There are sometimes gifts offered for the kid or the class that sells the most. One is expected to force your kids to go out and harrass neighbours and co-workers and plain old strangers so that the school can buy library books, or science equipment.

It seems that some of the people on here get to supply the item that is being pushed, and I think that's good, I would sooner buy a locally made item than some plug-ugly over-priced Chinese-made crap. I never allow my kids to go out and annoy people, they are annoying enough already, but usually buy some of the offending items myself. The last thing I bought was several years ago, chemical-tasting cookie dough, and don't plan on ever buying another fund raising item unless they can come up with something better. Once they had flower bulbs from a "local" company, and I loved that. Fund raising in my area seems to happen mostly in the younger grades, so maybe that is why I have not been hassled recently.

If you have no idea what a fund raiser is, count yourself among the blessed.

btw' date=' on the other hand, I was quite surprised to learn that not many people in the US knew what a car boot was, over here :D;)[/quote']

I know what a car boot is, also a lorry, a mobile, trainers... I also know that Spotted Dick is a food, a dessert, I think, and not a disease, but I don't think I could ever eat it. I also know that a public school is private, and that you people persist in driving on the wrong side of the road. I think I know what a bespoke tailor is, at least I know that you have to be rich to go to one. Chips are french fries, crisps are chips, and bangers are sausages. This vast knowledge comes with years of reading English books, mostly mysteries.

The closest thing we have to a car boot here is something that was (and maybe still is) used some years ago, called the Denver Boot. It is this enormous metal thing that is clamped onto the tire of a car that has outstanding parking tickets, and makes it impossible to drive until your tickets have been paid and the boot removed.

Nope, a car boot is a local sale. You take your car to a big field, drive up and park in rows, then you unload all the old shit you don't want onto rickety old wallpaper pasting tables in front of your car, and then sell it to some sucker who thinks your trash is their treasure.

It's like a garage sale, but in a field. It's called a car boot sale because you only take what you can fit in the boot (trunk) of your car.

lmao @ nat, what a brill description, you've obviously been to some around here then ;)

How about going for a stroll with the baby in the pram after you've changed its nappy hehe, or going outside for a fag ;) or wearing your pants UNDER your trousers ;)

I wonder why so many words are the same, but so many are different.

My son watches Simpsons all the time, and the other night, mentioned gettin his clothes out of the closet, (wardrobe), my daughter even asked where we were going on vacation instead of holiday this year :D

I know what a car boot in the US is. A metal thing put on a tire to keep you from moving your car until fees are paid etc. But I thought a car boot in the UK was a garage.

I think it's funny they call the hood of a car a bonnet. Always makes me think of the Amish who wear bonnets but don't own cars.