Poking Relief Holes - Mottled candles

I am hoping someone will be able to answer this dilemma for me. I made some candles tonight (trying to make mottles), using straight paraffin, 5.3% FO and 5% Stearin + UV. I went downstairs about 2 hours after pouring them to poke relief holes to do a top up and could hardly push any holes into the wax - it was quite hard, when I did get a few holes into the wax, liquid came up out of the holes? Is this normal?? Sorry for the long question, but as I normally do rustics (use FO at 4.5% and Stearin at 7%) I have not encountered this before. Thanks so much for your replies.:smiley2:

I can tell you that it is normal for some wax to come out of the holes. I would suspect that you waited a little too long to do the re-pour. I usually wait until the mold is slightly warm, then poke the relief holes and do my re-pour. Any wax that comes out of the holes will melt into the candle when the hot wax is added. Hope this helps!

BTW, I never use straight paraffin or any additives!