Tarts turning frosty-looking?

I store my tart inventory in a cool, not brightly lit place, but I've noticed that after being stored for a time, they start to develop a whitish/frosted look to them. I'm using V-1, and I don't know if this is due to me using the wrong kind of plastic to store them (the scent is fine, it's just the color that goes wonky), or if I should use UV inhibitor even though they aren't in bright light, or what. Thoughts are much appreciated! :grin2:

I always use UV stabilizer no matter what in ALL candles.

This is a common problem with tarts. V1 is problematic about frosting anyway. You might want to see if adding coconut oil will help, but storing little tarts over time is always chancy when it comes to frosting. Even minor changes of temperature, humidity and exposure to air can cause the crystals to begin changing in the wax. HTH :D

For more information, search the forums for frosting. :wink2:

Bunkie, do you wrap them or store them in a baggie? I am wondering if I individually shrink-wrapped them if they would keep better...

I have some stored in plastic shoe boxes, and some stored in baggies (when I ran out of room for shoe boxes :laugh2: ). I haven't tried shrink wrapping, but that might be worth a shot. And it might make them easier to ship, too. Hmm. I'm glad to know it's not just me - I'm still relatively new to this and I always wonder in the back of my mind if I'm just doing something wrong!

UV stabilizer does not work against the drying out. Bees wax does but since it turned cool you probable won't have that problem till nest summer. JMHO

I'm in Texas, it doesn't get a whole lot of cool here. :laugh2: Although they're predicting a cold snap for Thanksgiving. Is that what the frosting is, drying out? Does beeswax make it more difficult to release tarts/votives from the molds?

Bunkie,

I just yesterday pulled out all my clamshell melts to put caution labels on the inside of the lid and I found that every one that was made with a mixture of votive and container wax frosted really bad. They still smell great, but some look awful. All those without the votive wax, made with all container wax didn't do it...at least not yet...they were made after the mixed ones. What a PITA...I hate to sell them looking like that even though I know they are fine. Oh and Cranberry Marmalade turned Orange with white frost spots and I don't color! Frustrating! I feel your pain! My candles never get like this, so I'm thinking it's the votive wax mixed with the container wax. (V1 and C3).

Anita

The UGLIEST tarts I ever made were with the GB 416 tart wax. Frosting would have been an improvement over the white powdery look these had after just a couple days. I just wish I could find a use for the 35 lbs of 416 that I have lol

I tried other soy for tarts and said screw it. I can't deal with how ugly soy is in tarts, not to mention a PITA getting the wax out of the burner. The only way I could get it out was to pour it when it was melted. I was not about to tell a client to do this and risk them getting burned.

I switched to the KY Parasoy tart/votive wax and won't ever use another wax for my tarts.

Anita, were they real crumbly where the frosting was the worst? I have some old columbian coffee ones that crumbled like crazy where they were real frosted... They still smell fresh brewed, though, but UGLY as sin...:embarasse

You know, I didn't take any out of the clamshells to see if they crumble, but I'll let you know if they do when I go to use them. I'm going to remove the really bad ones and use them myself (or make my family use them, they smell great!) Live and learn! I guess I'll try adding something...maybe a little palm and leave out the votive wax. In the winter I can get by with straight container wax, but in summer it doesn't come out of the clamshells clean so I try to always blend it...never know when they will sell even if I make them in winter. I'm thankful that these are fairly inexpensive to make so not too much $ down the drain..I think I counted 50 really bad ones.

Wow. Anita, I'm sorry you've had problems, too. And if Jami had problems with the GB 416, then I guess it's not just the V-1. Is it all soy waxes that are prone to frosting?

The UGLIEST tarts I ever made were with the GB 416 tart wax. Frosting would have been an improvement over the white powdery look these had after just a couple days. I just wish I could find a use for the 35 lbs of 416 that I have lol

I tried other soy for tarts and said screw it. I can't deal with how ugly soy is in tarts, not to mention a PITA getting the wax out of the burner. The only way I could get it out was to pour it when it was melted. I was not about to tell a client to do this and risk them getting burned.

I switched to the KY Parasoy tart/votive wax and won't ever use another wax for my tarts.

Jami, how is the parasoy for releasing from molds and burners? My tarts pop right out when they've cooled, and customers love that. If I have to put up with frosting to keep that easy release, I will, but dang, it bothers me.

Yeah...they all tend to frost, but some of these are downright Fugly!! It's a shame that I didn't take the time to let some sit before making so many with the votive wax in them...made like 120. I know for next time...I was trying to get a jump on the Christmas stuff by making them in July and Aug!! Luckily, clamshells are quick to pour and quick to set up.