Stella!!!!!

What temp did you melt to? It sounds like it either was too hot or not hot enough... I haven't remelted much Glass Glow, but did not have this experience. Give it a few stirs once the wax is completely melted and at whatever temp you would pour before you turn off the oven. :wink2: HTH

Otherwise, you may have just invented the Vertical Two-Tone palm wax candle! :laugh2:

What was the temperature this time, anabanana, and did you remember to stir the wax? I have noticed some inconsistencies in this wax - some grains are slightly different colored than the rest and some is like powder... I have been trying to remember to really shake it up before I measure to ensure it's all mixed up well...

If it doesn't work out after one more try, I think I would set this one aside and make another. It's possible that the wax may have gotten too hot... oven melting isn't an exact science... just a quick & dirty way to redoux that usually works out okay, but ya got to keep an eye on the thermometer in there! I keep one in my oven anyway and I stick an old meat thermometer in the jar to watch... HTH :D

PS Gotta picture of this strange one, ana?

I remelted 4 times and each time it came out looking like this. Although, the picture doesn't "do it justice" it is much whiter. It smells great. It is just hideous.

I did stir and didn't let temp get above 200. Will start from scratch. It was so pretty before I started messing with it. I wish that one wick would have been enough.

post-8260-139458437238_thumb.jpg

That is curious. Looks like the dye is not mixing well with the wax. Is it all the way around or only on one side? Personally, if it's all the way around, I like the graduated effect, but it would bug me, too, 'cause it ain't 'spoze to look like that!

Have you had any problems with this dye before? Something is precipitating in there, but god only knows what it is...:confused:

I think you may be right, grama.:wink2: That's why I gave the "too hot or too cool" answer because if palm is too cool, the crystallization suffers and if it gets too hot, it looks funky also. I haven't noticed any whitishness with pillar palm wax or in my glass glow containers yet... I have "held" glass glow for hours, and remelted repeatedly with both glass glow and pillar palm waxes, with no ill effects, but not at high temp... Guess this will just be a mystery candle!

I haven't tried glass glo yet(but I am sooon)! If you re-melt it again can't you add more color..I just read a post where it states there is no limit for dye w/palm wax.? It looks cool to me, but like Stella said...it's not spoze to be like that! LOL! Right Stella!?:wink2:

Kimmeroo:D

I just read a post where it states there is no limit for dye w/palm wax

Ummm, I don't think that's accurate. It flies in the face of common sense. The problem with dye lies with the wicking and a wick isn't gonna like a lotta dye in palm any more than it does in soy! Now if your source meant that palm isn't as sensitive to dye as soy is (with the frosting issues, etc.), then I can flow with that somewhat...

Actually, whether it's "correct" or not, if it looks halfway good (and it does to me), throws well and burns okay, I can't see anything wrong with deliberately trying for the technique unless it looks a lot worse in person than in Ana's photo! :wink2: Mistakes are frequently how new techniques and effects are discovered. :D

Who knows, Ana? Ya might have messed up GOOD!:P

Already did that and this was the final result.

That seems to leave two possibilities. One is that reheating the candle mixture has permanently done something bad to it and you have to start from scratch. The other is that melting it in the oven is doing something bad like overheating part of the mixture. The final thing you could try is melting the candle just enough that you can remove the liquid and solid wax from the jar into a melting pot. Then warm it up to pouring temperature with gentle stirring using a double boiler and pour as you normally so. If you get the same result then I doubt anything will work.