I feel bad for her....same show, different results!

asheebeans

This summer I had told a co-worker (who does jewelry) about the show I was doing in November. She was interested when I told her about the turnout and how they said on the application "handcrafted only" and "no more than 3 types of any craft will be permitted, first come first served". Fast forward to day of show (yesterday) I was very pleased. There were not many soap vendors there and noone had soaps and other items like mine. I did well. It seemed like every other table was selling jewelry! My co-worker did NOT do so well! When I spoke to her towards the end of the show, she said she just barely made enough to pay for the table and the tablecloth. (a sheet) I had come over to visit her and had looked over her stuff--alot of her earrings were pushing $20. Her stuff is original and girly, but kind of pricey for my blood and I never was a jewelry gal. My daughter, on the other hand, is. I sent her with $20 in hand to go and buy something. (really because I felt bad for my co-worker.) Her mom came by my table but never even looked at my stuff. She was there long enough to tell me how poorly sales were going for them. They packed up and left without my co-worker even coming up to me and saying goodbye or anything! I hope she's not mad at me, although I would be mad as he## at the promoters of the show for allowing the ridiculous amount of jewelry tables we had there! :mad: I sure hope she isn't upset at me, but I guess time will tell as I will see her at work tomorrow! Thanks for letting me vent! :undecided

Edited to add: Mods, please move if this is in the wrong category! (and I apologize if it is!)

At the show I was in today, a regular show I do twice a year, there were 9 Jewelry makers and they all had similar things. The craft show market is totally over saturated with Jewelry makers!

At the one day show I did Saturday, only three jewlery makers were allowed in and they had to explain their creations. One used glass rods for making her beads and another did strictly silversmithing.

I bought two pairs of earring from the glass rod jewler and two pairs of sterling silver earring from the other woman. The third jeweler made her own stuff but it was cheap looking and she wanted a fortune for it!:embarasse She didn't sell too much. heard her complain as I was packing up.

I wouldn't feel sorry for your co-worker. She didn't do her own homework. The next show I'm doing, is well established and very large. I explored it last year for several hours both days prior to filling out an application, giving them permission to check ME out at any show I was in of their choice. I listed all of the shows I knew I was doing the next year!

I don't know what show they came to in order to see me in action. I just know that after the biggest show I do, they called and told me I could get in, told me the table fees and did I still want in? Heck yeah!:yay:

Fire

Sorry about your co-worker but you shouldn't feel like it is your fault. She should have confirmed with the promoter how many jewelry makers would be admitted. I've noticed way too many jewelry tables at all but one show so far this yr. And she should of attended a few shows to check out pricing and what people were buying.

It was very rude of her not to even stop by to speak to you. You can only help new folks so much. They have to be willing to learn the ropes themselves.

The 1st yr I did shows I was thrilled to cover the fees. It is a learning experience. I feel folks need to see you at a few shows to feel comfortable buying from you. Now I have people seeking me out.

Glad you had a good show. Sure feels good doesn't it.

I find that people think that all they need to do to sell is to make something, anything, no matter how badly made or overpriced. So many people have totally unrealistic expectations. They throw together some crap, put a price tag on it, and think people will be lining up. You have to do your homework. Mind you, I thought the same thing the first few months I started up. Then there are the people who use crap materials in an effort to keep the price down. I use good yarns etc and sell at whatever price I put on it, whereas an acrylic scarf, IMO, is still overpriced at $20.

My largest show of the season is just ahead. I've had several friends ask about this show and they have attended it,, however do not have near the sales that I do. There is tons of non stop traffic from 8:30 am - 1:30 pm.

Alot depends on your product, your display, your pricing. I make about $1800 a day at this show... but my friends make around $500....

I've wouldn't feel bad,,, I think most vendors know that not everyone makes the same thing nor will they make the same amount of money and it depends on what the market is looking for that day.

Your right about jewelry,,, it's saturated right now, custom, magnetic, magnetic three times the strengh, magnetic twice the strength,,, egadddssszzz.. 5 years ago soaps and candles were saturated, last weekend I saw 2 soap makers amongst the 150 vendors and only 2 other booth selling candles, plus mine and most of the booths sell other things than just their candles.

There alot of people that get into crafting, because they think it's a get rich quick thing... you have to do your homework, put pizazzz in your packaging,, have a great booth display... cause people just don't walk in and buy,, you need to give them a reason to want to buy... :grin2:

It also depends on what is saturated in what area. I have been doing shows for almost 8 years and I noticed each year it is different type of stuff saturating the market. Here this year it is candles, jewelry and clothes. Last year it was wood roses, soaps and wood working.

It is a trend thing when ever a vendor or someone looking to make money sees someone selling well they try to cash in on it. Jewelry people are known for having a lot of people around their booths so it looks like it selling like crazy when in reality they may not be selling much at all.

Look at the wood roses last year in the beginning of the year there was one person selling here buy the last show I did there where 8 doing it. This year I saw one one person selling them the whole year.

The economy also plays a part of it when the economy is down people look for ways to make extra money they usualy do what they think is easy money or they try to make what they like to use the most to make money. Hence a lot of Soap, Candle and Jewelry people.

I hope she doesnt hold it against you. You didnt tell her she would make tons of money. Even here in Canada the craft shows I have taken part in or attended have way too many jewlery booths....and they all looked cheaply made. I think too that she should have at least gone up to you at the end of the day when she was leaving and say good bye...that was rude and immature on her part.

She should have asked. I always ask now because a couple of years ago that happened to me. Jewelery is saturating the market this year which is good for us candlemakers. I don't see any soapmakers at shows. Out if all the shows I have been to or done I have only seen one out of 10 shows. Hmmm! Definitely a market for soap in my area....

My friend does jewelry - I like her stuff a lot but she has had a difficult time with her business as well. She commented to me early on that she wasn't interested in craft shows because she had done her research and it didn't look like they were going to be good revenue for her. I didn't understand it at the time, but after a couple of craft shows I sure did!

These days we tackle the craft fairs as a pair. I do my candles and now bath and body stuff... and she does her jewelry. It's low pressure for both of us, because with the vairety of products that we offer in one booth people always stop to look at something! We've got our two shows coming up this year and I can't wait! I'm going to be looking for more next year to get my products out there more.

Well, she wasn't mad at me but was mad at the overall experience. :undecided She said as much on the survey that they sent around regarding the show. She said she would never do that show again. Me, on the other hand.....:wink2: LOL I think I will be back next year. I really liked it. Thanks everyone for your comments and support! You guys are right, jewelry is the "hot" craft right now it seems! I still can't get over how many jewelry tables there were! It was like a bad joke! I hope everyone's shows go well! :highfive: