NO hot throw in candles!!

I did a search and didn't find anything about the question I have!! I am currently using EZ Soy CB. I purchased my candle business and kept all the recipes the same as the old owner did. However lately for some reason I cannot get a good hot throw off my candles or tarts.

THe old owner was adding fo at 125 degrees. I continued to do the same. But from everything I am reading here, perhaps fo needs to be added at a hotter temp?? I use 1 and a half ounces per pound of wax. But I just cannot smell my candles on hot throw? anybody have any good advice for me! thanks so much. I just want to cry!! :(

I think if you search the forums, you will find TONS of information on this subject. Wicking has a lot to do with hot throw. The FO you use has a lot to do with it. The temperature at which it is added has a bearing as well as how long you stirred the wax to incorporate it.

You bought a candle business and don't know how to pour candles? Sounds like getting the cart before the horse to me... :confused:

don't be sorry and don't give in.

but according to my research (for example, my 2 month quest for one darned perfect pillar candle...) it ain't easy!

The folks here are nice and really really helpful. Just you gotta start at the beginning... cause if you don't then you will just fall off a cliff, so to speak.

BTW: are you using the EXACT same FOs as the previous owner?

Hi, and yes, thanks for the response.....Using the same oils. I realize that alot of the same questions get asked over and over, and I did do a search didn't find the answer I needed, so I am sorry about that.

Actually testing 2 candles right now that are giving off a great throw now. After I got the melt pool they are doing great. My question was if I should be adding the fo at a hotter temperatue.

That's all. :grin2:

Hi, and yes, thanks for the response.....Using the same oils. I realize that alot of the same questions get asked over and over, and I did do a search didn't find the answer I needed, so I am sorry about that.

Actually testing 2 candles right now that are giving off a great throw now. After I got the melt pool they are doing great. My question was if I should be adding the fo at a hotter temperatue.

That's all. :grin2:

I would start by adding the FO at a higher temp.....or better yet....leave the room for like 10 mins and come back...maybe you have candlenose.

When you are pouring your candles do you have a pool of FO in the bottom of your pour pot? I would add my FO at a higher temperature and stir well. Are you achieving a full melt pool? You very well could have candle nose (which you never realize that you have). And whose oils are you using (making sure you are using good FOs, because it would be nice to save the cost to only add 1 oz per lb.).

we did side by side comparisons and found that ez-soy with fo added at 175* had a stronger throw than the one with fo added at 120*(per manufacturer's recomendations). i never add fo lower than 175*, because it needs the higher temp to fully encorporate it into the wax. adding it at such a low temp. like 120*; has a higher risk of the fo seperating out.

i also find that 1 oz per pound is plenty.