Boiled Worms??

NattyCat

Hi

I have a cream called "Silk Cream with Marine Collagen". It's one that I buy in and I've received a question from one of my customers asking about how the silk has been extracted. She said that the worms are boiled to get the silk, which means that the cream wouldn't be vegan.

Is this just an urban legend or a myth? Are silk worms boiled alive to get the silk? I've asked the manufacturer but while I wait for a reply I wondered if anyone here knew anything?

Thanks

Nat

http://insected.arizona.edu/silkinfo.htm

The last paragraph says:

Today

Today, silk is cultivated in Japan, China, Spain, France, and Italy, although artificial fibers have replaced the use of silk in much of the textile industry. The silk industry has a commercial value of $200-$500 million annually. One cocoon is made of a single thread about 914 meters long. About 3000 cocoons are needed to make a pound of silk.

To gather silk from cocoons, boil intact cocoons for five minutes in water turning them gently. Remove from the water and using a dissecting needle or similar tool, begin to pick up strands. When you find a single strand that comes off easily, wind the silk onto a pencil. Several of these strands are combined to make a thread.

Nat,

Vegan products can't contain silk or honey.

What is a Vegan?

Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, or poultry. Vegans, in addition to being vegetarian, do not use other animal products and by-products such as eggs, dairy products, honey, leather, fur, silk, wool, cosmetics, and soaps derived from animal products.

e

yes I know what constitutes vegan etc but in this instance, the wholesale customer only said she wanted "natural products" which didn't include "nasties" like parabens etc. She had the ingredient list from me beforehand AND the name of the cream, and went right ahead and ordered it.

I don't even stock it myself so she doesn't really have any comeback for the product not being vegan does she? She was given a list of products to choose from that were all SLS/paraben free (as requested) which gave full details of all the ingredients. She chose it and was fully aware of what it was called and the ingredients, before she bought it - so it's her problem...right?

it was one of HER customers that pointed out to her that worms are boiled but she never asked for vegan or vegetarian products, just paraben free products.

Yes, this is true. Wiki article on silk

I guess it depends on where the silk comes from. According to the above Wiki article;

Animal rights

As the process of harvesting the silk from the cocoon kills the larvae, silk-culture has been criticized in the early 21st century by animal rights activists on the grounds that silk production kills silkworms, and that artificial silks are available.[6] Others point out that silkworms depend upon humans for their survival, and would become extinct without humans to care for the worms and harvest the silk. [7]

Mahatma Gandhi was critical of silk production based on the Ahimsa philosophy. Ahimsa is part of the three millennial Jain philosophy of India "not to hurt any living thing," which led to development of a cotton spinning machine he distributed. Such a machine can be seen in the Gandhi Institute.

Ahimsa Silk, made from the cocoons of wild and semi-wild silk moths, is being promoted in parts of Southern India, for those who prefer not to wear silk produced which involves the death of silkworms.

Natty, since silk is a natural product and she didn't ask for a vegan product I'd think you'd be fine. If she is a vegan then I'm sure she would know what is acceptable to her and what is not. I think you gave her what she asked for.

Supposedly Tusseh silk uses cocoons that the worms have already left, so there's no boiling bodies involved. I've never bothered to research to see if it was really true, but it sounds good to me :)

Yes this is true, but still doesnt make it vegan it would be vegetarian. I sooooo wanted to try some since I hear great things about the tusseh silk and then theres the co-op but all I make is VEGAN products.