I need help!!!

i am completely new to candle making. I love crafty projects and would lov to learn more about candle making. I want to start with candle containers... I NEED HELP!

In making jar candles i purcashed paraffin wax ( just a 10lb slab)

The first candle i made sweated and kind of caved in a little

at the top.

what should i do?

what's te diff. between stearic and vyblar?

which should i use?

what about scents? i used 1oz in a 8oz and i still dont think its strongly scented like i would like for it to be.

what temp. should i pour paraffin wax?

is it pillar or container blend paraffin?

the top sounds like it needs a repour

the pouring temp should be on the wax instructions

that seems an awful lot of fo for paraffin, I use just under 1oz to 1lb wax

I'd have a good search through all the threads on here for info :D

If you pay off my credit card, I will answer all of your questions!!!!

:laugh2:

Seriously, look at this link, http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5492,

find a supplier in your area and call them.

Also, go into the Search engine here, type in the subject you are wanting to know more about, i.e., wax type, dye, fragrance name, wicks, molds, etc.

If you don't find the answer than start a thread.

That's everything that I learned, thus far. I'm still broke, so I can't help you any further. :laugh2:

I use straight paraffin(no stearic or vybar) I heat mine up in a presto pot(turn it to 200*) until it is melted, then take it's temp...I add dye, (@175*)then fragrance oils(i use .5oz.per lb)then stir, stir and stir....pour into already wicked container.

Wicking was the hardest for me to understand.Whatever jar you are using...find out the width then wherever you buy your wicks, check the wick chart to see what size to use for that jar.You have to do this with every different jar you are using.Then write it down in a notebook!

Personally, I would just work on one jar (usually 8oz.jelly jar) until you get the correct burn,wicking and fragrance.Each fragrance you have may be different size wick...so it is VITAL to TEST! HTH! Sorry so long..but I know what is like just starting out and you are really lucky to have found this board..I have been making candles for 8 years and 6 of them were in the dark, so to speak!!!!

Good Luck..............................................Kimmeroo:cheesy2:

If you pay off my credit card, I will answer all of your questions!!!!

:laugh2:

Yah, mine too. Serious debt here and an ode to candlemakers everywhere who go broke on this 'habit!' haha. :)

Really- give Kimmeroo's advice a shot, & start with a simple goal (I started with votive molds, wax & wicks in a kit, two scents and two dyes). The upshot was that when I was ready to go 'live' with testing other waxes, FO's, I had the thermometer, molds, instructions and an idea of what I was doing... I wish I had Candletech! :) I have seriously branched out from there (and spent countless hours and dollars) since then, but I've learned a TON. I haven't spent as much as $3,500, though (well, at least, I don't think I have, or maybe I justified it by breaking even since then? LOL). But in the last few months, charged a lot on my CC's.

By the way, I started out with a kit from A.C. Moore. You might do well with a craft store, as well. They were a bit pricy ($33 for the votive kit), but well worth it, in MHO. And no shipping!

Good luck!

:cheesy2: