Astorlite S-1

I used this wax until it was discontinued. Had noticed on Early American Candle Supplies that Cargill C-1 was being referred to as "formerly S-1". Being curious and praying that this was still my wax. I emailed the Early American and this was their reply:

HONEYWELL BOUGHT THERE WAX FROM CARGILL AND NOW WE CARRY CARGILL AND THE SAME PRODUCT IS NOW CALLED C1.

SINCERELY,

JOHN

So for those of you that liked the Astorlite S-1 (myself included), I am glad to know this tidbit of information. :D

See ya,

Beverly

OMG!

I used to LOVE this wax - I saw that on their site long ago and just dismissed it as a typo or an inference that it was just similar - but not THE SAME WAX.

Those guys know their stuff - so if they say its the same - it must be.

I might have just "refound" my "new" wax.

Thank you for posting this!

OK - when I bought this I got 10 lousy pounds so I really didn't have much to work with - right after I bought it, no one could find it anymore because no one was selling "S1". What I can tell you about it is it looks and sets up a lot like ecosoya CBA - its one of those low/no frost soys and you can pour it hot - I think it might have been one of the first soys you could do that with. Now that I know its C1, I guess we can look that up and apply the same tips.

Honestly I can't remember what the throw was like, I'm sure it was fine for me since I don't like extremely strong scents and I can remember using very low FO amounts in it. I also remember that after burning it did have a little frost on the edges - but not much, the ecosoya CBA has NONE. I also remember that it would seep in hot weather - and also in multi-wicked candles. (I used up what I had in testing those walmart heart containers so it went pretty fast).

I'm sure there are (just a) few posts about it in the archives.

You maybe interest in this: http://members.shaw.ca/natural_zone/ContainerTest.htm. I can tell you that my S1 containers set up MUCH better than the pic though. Here's a link with more info on Cargill http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2317&highlight=cargill+c1 .

When I first secided to play around with candlemaking, I bought a 50 lb box of "soy wax" from someone near me who was selling off inventory. When I received it it said "S1" on the box.

I can attest to what henryk says about it's behavior. It frosted very little, lighter scents did not throw too well at first, but did improve with at least two weeks curing. I found that when used without any additives, you could pour slushy and get very smooth tops.

I'm a little bummed out, :( because I did come to like S1, and was told it was no more. Now I have tested MC soy and relatively happy with it, however I have ab 10 lbs of S1 left I am using in Christmas presents, and it really behaves well with 3% BW and pour at 120.

Maybe if I can find a close supplier of C1 I'll get some and try it out.