Shampoo Bars

CBE

Do any of you make Shampoo Bars? I'm just curious about the difference between a shampoo bar and a regular old bar of CP soap. Does the shampoo bar have more cleansing oils to give it more cleansing value?

I'm just wondering... because I've been experimenting with washing my hair with my own CP soap. I've heard with shampoo bars you have to do a vinegar rinse to get the build up out....

Since I've been washing my hair with my own soap... I find I do not need a vinegar rinse, yeah... my hair is major squeaky clean when I rinse it... but I find that my hair has more volume, softness, and shine since I've been using my CP soap to wash it. I do have short hair, so I don't use hair conditioners often, only on occasion.

If anyone knows more about Shampoo Bars... Please chime in!! :)

The problem with using soap on hair is the PH. Typically hand made soap runs between 9 and 10 on the ph scale. Permanents and relaxers alkaline solutions and break down the hair which is then curled or straightened and neutralized with a low ph or acidic rinse Bleaches and hair colors are also alkaline, it’s how they penetrate the cuticle of the hair. . I have very fine hair and find that using soap makes my hair nice the first day or two but then I start shedding bad with a lot of breakage, just like if I have a perm. You must have great hair to not have problems washing it with soap.

I make a shampoo bar for my personal use. I HP then rebatch the next day adding citric acid until I get a PH reading of 7. still a little high for hair but ok for a few days and easier to travel with than a bottle of shampoo.

That sounds like good advice with the citric acid. I have no idea of how much to add or what would be a good amount to start out with. About how much are you adding per pound of soap during the rebatch?

I've also got short hair and have been shampooing with the soap bar. So far I've been happy with it but if it can be made better that would be great!

I have very fine hair and find that using soap makes my hair nice the first day or two but then I start shedding bad with a lot of breakage, just like if I have a perm. You must have great hair to not have problems washing it with soap.

Ditto that! I have stopped using a blowdryer, try as much as possible to finger comb, go as many days as I can stand between washes- so far I can go 4 days, and sleep in a braid or bun. I am planning on starting to use conditioner only, so far I think my hair is liking it.

But as much as I hate to admit it, shampoo bars just don't work for me.:(

Chagrin Valley's shampoo bars work for me... some of them at least. The Honey, Beer and Egg didn't, but I loved the Herb Garden shampoo bar.

I do find I usually need a vinegar rinse after (which DH abhors), and my hair feels... weird while it's wet but nice and soft after it dries.

The thing I like about the Herb Garden shampoo bar though, is that the eos are very "sticky"... they even outlast my vinegar rinse, so in the end, I smell like the eo blend rather than vinegar... a big bonus by DH's count :D

I've run out of Herb Garden, but their Rhassoul & Yogurt soap's been doing a decent job so far with my hair.

Now what I want to try... are these solid syndet bars from Wylde Ivy...

Oh my goodness, I made a beer, honey and egg soap once! YUCK....it smelled so bad it was awful. I ended up throwing it out!

Anyways, I make shampoo bars, I'm always changing them, switching them up trying new things. I found that jojoba really made the my hair greasy. I also found that superfatting the shampoo bars make my hair greasy, so I don't do that anymore!!

My latest ones I was happy with were Mango Butter & Kokum Butter, tonight I made Avocodo Oil & Mango Butter. I usually also use 10-14% castor oil for lots of bubbles!

Sorry for being so slow.

I don't measure as it will vary from batch to batch (the SAP values we use are averages and does vary between batches of oils). I just add about a quarter cup disolved in water to start the rebatch then start testing the PH when its liquid. You have to disolve it in liquid, it won't disolve in the soap. I would guess somewhere between a half cup to a cup of citric acid to a three lb. batch.

That sounds like good advice with the citric acid. I have no idea of how much to add or what would be a good amount to start out with. About how much are you adding per pound of soap during the rebatch?

I've also got short hair and have been shampooing with the soap bar. So far I've been happy with it but if it can be made better that would be great!