What to do?

AkainePSP

When you make your lip balms or lip butters do you make your own base and just take out what you need when you need it or do you just make it as you need it?

I was thinking that I should make up an 8 oz. base of my own recipe and use it as I need it. How do you do this?

Kelly

Mine is posted in the recipes section. I myself love it.

Kelly’s Lip Butter

37.5% Mango Butter

25% Sweet Almond Butter

25% Avocado Oil

12.5% Beeswax

Here is a tip that was given to me on the boards:

NOTES: Mango will go grainy if you do not temper it...by this I mean once it's melted continue heating on lowest temp for 5 or so more minutes... do this in the microwave...

Melt your butters in 1 minute increments (at a 7 setting) until liquified...then switch to low and continue heating

Just a tip, you don't want to heat and cool your base each time you need it. The more temperature fluctuations your oils are exposed to, the faster the oils break down and go rancid. I'd recommend making your base, then scooping what you need out into another container to melt it. Then keep the rest of your base in the fridge, or a cool place.

Some recipes have a tendency to separate a little while cooling (usually the harder part staying at the top.... the beeswax tends to 'float' in the oils.... same concept). If your recipe is prone to this, stirring your base while it cools will help with this. Or if this doesn't work, then make a master batch, and pour into smaller containers, your batch sizes, so you can just grab the size you need.

For containers, I've been able to successfully pour into HDPE jars. The PET jars melt under the heat, and you'll have a monster mess on your hands. Ask me how I know....

I made a small batch of my lip butter as I like to call it. I made 4 oz. and put it into one of the 4 oz. glass canning jars. I will keep an eye on it for seperation though and once its cooled will refridgerate it. I use the recipe posted above.

Thanks,

Kelly

I noticed on another site that someone mentioned, when making Lip balms, she used a canning jar and would set on a mug warmer for the repours. If you are concerned about continuely reheating, maybe a mug with warm water on the mug warmer would be a better idea.

Not that I know anything but I thought it was a great idea.

Fire:smiley2:

Well, Lindsay recommends a candle warmer on her blog:

http://soapersworkshop.blogspot.com/2007/10/lip-balm-picture-tutorial.html

I think that's absolutely brilliant.

I use her mac & jojoba lip balm kit, and it's soft enough that I can scoop what I need, so I don't really worry about portioning them.

It was somewhat annoying for me to pour them into the tubes though, because I was using a large pipette and the base kept solidifying on me, so I had lots of gunk stuck up my pipettes.

On the bright side, her pomegranate flavor oil packs a really big punch at just 1%!

Next on my want-list: MMS lip balm trays and Lindsay's chocolate and vanilla flavor oils.

Mmmm... :D