New and first post, could use some help!

lothrid

Hi,

I currently make wax tarts, but I am now interested in attempting CP soap making...just as a hobby for gifts, etc. Is anyone able to help me get started...I am clueless as to distributors, supllies, etc. I have done some online research, but nothing seems to be very specific. Any help anyone could offer me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! :)

Jamie

Have you visited millersoap.com? that site is chock full of real specific information to point you on your way!

There are some great recipes there and here as well. And some can be made with oils from your grocery store! (And some Wal*Mart stores have coconut oil which is commonly used in soap). For lye you can check out Lowes and buy the 2# can of the Roebic brand (just make sure it's the 99% pure stuff).

Start without FOs and when you are ready for colors and scents, the classifieds are a great place to dip your toes (once you have been here long enough).

After you are oficially addicted you can start spending huge bucks with online suppliers!

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45126 It is overwhelming at first. I used a lined shoe box for my first mold. If you follow the posted link above Robin gives a wonderful tutorial. Print it out and read it, I had it memorized by the time I made my first soap. Like Carebear said, Millers site is great, you really do have to keep reading and reading til you feel comfortable with it. It has become a very easy process for me now, after many batches, but be sure to heed all precautions. Soap when you are alone and take your time. Good Luck:cheesy2:

Yep, read read read! Especially the millersoap site, it's the best for newbies!

I think I read and tried to work up the courage for like year! LOL

Not saying you should take that long but you do need to understand the process and the precautions of using lye before jumping in.

Also, check out the lye calculator at MMS (majestic mountain sage) it will help you get familiar with how much lye water you will need depending on your oils and butters etc.

I've been cping for over a year and STILL consider myself a newbie since I'm always learning something as I go.