Wholesale Accounts

Hi Everyone,

I'm growing extremely tired with my business. I have been at this candle making for 10 years (since I was 18 years old). I started my business with my own savings and continue to do so. I have 6 wholesale accounts that are doing extremely well.

My concerns: I have been a one woman show for the entire 10 years wearing the hat of at least 5 people (I'm sure many of you can relate). I have had my fair share of craft shows, fairs, parties, etc. I just recently did my first trade show at America's Mart. I was successful despite it was poor in attendance. I spent over $2000 to exhibit. Investing in this large shows has somewhat been rewarding but a financial struggle. I have no help from my family or friends so that's another challenge. I have been home for 4 months and I have had my share of ups and downs.

I have so many creative ideas but unable to implement even the best because I do everything. Sorry, to vent but I'm just having a frustrating day. Thank goodness for wine!:yay:

I'm curious to know how some of you have advertised your business to sign up wholesale accounts in a less expensive way? Every way that I have taken has been quite expensive. I have done cold calling but it hasn't been as effective. I do pass out samples when I go to the doctors, dentists, etc. and I do get sales here and there.

How many of you are a one woman or man show wearing the hats of many? How do you advertise to bring in more wholesale accounts?

Thanks everyone for listening to me vent!

Jameel

Hi Jameel,

Have you ever thought of approaching a rep or showroom agency to showcase your line to retailers? If you have a unique or high quality product and it fits in to their expertise, you may have some luck there. Generally, they're looking for creative packaging, top notch marketing materials (i.e. catalogs, order forms, pop displays etc.) and your experience in the business, which is quite a length of time for you. I visited the Minneapolis Gift Mart in January of this year, and noticed that the majority of the lines I saw are categorized as "luxury" which is where the unique packaging and fragrances come in to play. Other than that, old fashioned face-to-face marketing to retailers never hurts either! Best of luck to you, keep on keepin on!

Thanks Sweetscents! Honestly, I have had at least 5 companies contact me interested in representing my line of products. Unfortunately, right now I'm not in a position to get a catalog designed. I have someone to design it but I'm not really feeling the look of it. I thought I liked it when she first started but now I don't care for it.

I do have quite a few documents professional designed. But I'm find the catalog is the main thing or at least a sales sheet. But these graphic designers are charging as much as $30 per hour. Which I wouldn't have a problem with that if I was working.

So if I had a catalog or sales sheet then heck I could be well on my way.

Jameel

Boy, do I hear your pain! I started making candles in 2001, did the craft shows, etc... but quit that 4 years ago. I am just like you, I do it all by myself. No help from family or friends (except my mom, she ties the ribbons on my candles).

Now for advertising, I have found that advertising in the online craft malls, has really worked for me. Do a google search for online craft malls, and get your website in all of them if possible. Some only charge $10 per month, etc... I'm in Texas, so I aos do advertising on texas aimed malls.

Even though my candles are country, I get my site in primitive craft malls, and everyone I can find. I also joined several local chambers of commerce and get a link on their websites. See if your county has a website that advertises what your county has to offer.

Get a link onto some other peoples websites that are local to you. Link exchanges also work.

I bought a mailing list of gift shops (spent a hefty amount on that deal) and got NOWHERE! Sent out brochure and price list.

Also, see if you can get some free advertising on some local small radio stations. I'm relatively rural and there is one station that will plug your business for free.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

HTH!

Carrie

I have just finish designing my catalog. BELIEVE me I understand your pain. It is by no means a "Bass Pro Shop" catalog but it is a start. Be technology challenge makes it hard for me. This cut and paste thing and that pesky delete button and I just are not getting along at present. I am trying to find sample ones on line and I am looking for a critic to review mine at present (I need to get some tylenol and a bottle of wine while reading the reviews. LOL :laugh2:) I am a small business and I wear the many hats also. Thank goodness for Office Depot. I have done all of my legal research and contracts myself.

Maybe you could try a local community college that has a graphics design section and see if the instructor would be happy to offer it to his beginning marketing class as a project? In turn, you could possibly offer a thank you reward. ( I know it works that way for car repairs, esp. are strap for cash; the community college here will work on your car, all you have to do is provide the parts and the labor is free and serves a good cause).

I like Carrie's idea about the local radio stations. Are there any women's clubs in your area? What about local youth teams needing sponsors or sponsoring a board spot on the fence for the little league baseball team. I think they go for approx $100.00 a season but I am not sure (tax deductible).

Office Depot sells the clear sheet stuff that you can print out your business name and cut it out and place on your car window (looks like the Mary Kay Sticker). Just don't speed. :cheesy2:

I am planning to donate a few gift baskets to my home town's fireman's fair. Hey, they have to announce where the donation was from.

Sorry if this information is not too useful, it is not 9Am yet, still on auto pilot.:shocked2:

Here's some ideas/thoughts from the other side of the fence (ie I'm on the retail side of things. Not in candles, but it's all the same basic principles).

As a retailer (and buyer) I get inundated with calls, emails, mailings from companies wanting me to carry and sell their products. It's hard to wade through things day after day. Especially when many of the products are similar. So how do I choose to go with when looking to add something to my store?

One - Friendliness of the rep I speak too. Most of the companies I deal with are a little larger so they have multiple reps. If someone is helpful, not too pushy, and willing to build a relationship that goes a long ways with me.

Two - Local business. I would much rather do business with a local company than someone 10 states away. Why? I'm keeping my local economy growing and also supporting someone locally. It all networks together.

Three - Chamber of Commerce - can have it's ups and downs. We've been a member for a number of years and have gotten some good leads but more importantly it reassures my customers that I'm not a fly-by-night operation.

Four - Pricing/catalog. I know you mentioned about getting a catalog together but even if you have a simple pricesheet whipped up in Word along with some decent photos of your products that will go a long way. Buyers tend to look at the bottom line when it comes buying things many times. Also check out this site - www.designoutpost.com - there are a good number of freelance designers that can do pretty much anything. I've used them in the past and have had great success.

Five - Samples. These go a long way. Many times my manufacturers or reps will give me samples to play with, demo, etc. That's points in my book.

Six - Online ordering. I love online ordering from my manufacturers/distributors. I can order at any time, see my status, etc. Makes life nice. Anything to simplify the complexity that the retailer has will go a long way to help you gain more business.

The key is to stand out. Have something unique that will vibe with the retailers. Be it local business, hand crafted, technology, customer service, etc.

Keep on plugging away is what it takes.

HTH some.

~Allen (who is wordy today for some reason..hehe)

Here's some ideas/thoughts from the other side of the fence (ie I'm on the retail side of things. Not in candles, but it's all the same basic principles).

As a retailer (and buyer) I get inundated with calls, emails, mailings from companies wanting me to carry and sell their products. It's hard to wade through things day after day. Especially when many of the products are similar. So how do I choose to go with when looking to add something to my store?

One - Friendliness of the rep I speak too. Most of the companies I deal with are a little larger so they have multiple reps. If someone is helpful, not too pushy, and willing to build a relationship that goes a long ways with me.

Two - Local business. I would much rather do business with a local company than someone 10 states away. Why? I'm keeping my local economy growing and also supporting someone locally. It all networks together.

Three - Chamber of Commerce - can have it's ups and downs. We've been a member for a number of years and have gotten some good leads but more importantly it reassures my customers that I'm not a fly-by-night operation.

Four - Pricing/catalog. I know you mentioned about getting a catalog together but even if you have a simple pricesheet whipped up in Word along with some decent photos of your products that will go a long way. Buyers tend to look at the bottom line when it comes buying things many times. Also check out this site - www.designoutpost.com - there are a good number of freelance designers that can do pretty much anything. I've used them in the past and have had great success.

Five - Samples. These go a long way. Many times my manufacturers or reps will give me samples to play with, demo, etc. That's points in my book.

Six - Online ordering. I love online ordering from my manufacturers/distributors. I can order at any time, see my status, etc. Makes life nice. Anything to simplify the complexity that the retailer has will go a long way to help you gain more business.

The key is to stand out. Have something unique that will vibe with the retailers. Be it local business, hand crafted, technology, customer service, etc.

Keep on plugging away is what it takes.

HTH some.

~Allen (who is wordy today for some reason..hehe)

Very good info here!

You are most welcome. Starting a business with a limited budget is tough. I know cause I've done it and am still doing it. If you have a passion for what you do then keep on doing it. If you are burned out then maybe take a break and step back for a bit.

There are thousands of businesses that start every year. Thousands more go out of business due to many reasons. If you keep working hard, controlling your costs, keep up great customer service, etc. you'll make it.

I love what I do. It's a challenge every day and one I look forward to every time I walk into my store.

Hi Everyone,

I'm growing extremely tired with my business. I have been at this candle making for 10 years (since I was 18 years old). I started my business with my own savings and continue to do so. I have 6 wholesale accounts that are doing extremely well.

My concerns: I have been a one woman show for the entire 10 years wearing the hat of at least 5 people (I'm sure many of you can relate). I have had my fair share of craft shows, fairs, parties, etc. I just recently did my first trade show at America's Mart. I was successful despite it was poor in attendance. I spent over $2000 to exhibit. Investing in this large shows has somewhat been rewarding but a financial struggle. I have no help from my family or friends so that's another challenge. I have been home for 4 months and I have had my share of ups and downs.

I have so many creative ideas but unable to implement even the best because I do everything. Sorry, to vent but I'm just having a frustrating day. Thank goodness for wine!:yay:

I'm curious to know how some of you have advertised your business to sign up wholesale accounts in a less expensive way? Every way that I have taken has been quite expensive. I have done cold calling but it hasn't been as effective. I do pass out samples when I go to the doctors, dentists, etc. and I do get sales here and there.

How many of you are a one woman or man show wearing the hats of many? How do you advertise to bring in more wholesale accounts?

Thanks everyone for listening to me vent!

Jameel

I am afraid I cannot be much help but here goes.

All of my wholesale accounts for the sake of 1, found me through the candles they bought from me (or recieved as a gift). I have never been one to go into shops and be a solicitor (I just can't stand those peeps lol), mainly because I feel like an idiot. Besides I don't want to interfere with their trying to help customers.

However, I think It might be good if you kept an eye out for new shops in your area, specifically ones that aren't open yet (But have their sign out) and mail them a wholesale packet. Then call to make sure they got it. (You may have to use directory assistance)

Maybe put out a little ad that you are looking for independant dealers in the area.

Just a couple of ideas :)

I am working with a limited budget also. Every penny goes right back in. Since it is also in my husband's eyes "a hobby" at times, he does not mind a few bucks here or there thrown in. To help with cost. I have done all of the legal research myself and wrote my own contracts, accounting forms, and designed my catalog. I was fortunate to have a friend of a lawyer friend review them for free (well, they asked a medical question and the answer they received was a great help on their case). I am trying to have my material look as professional as possible with the budget that I have, which means cutting out my own labels, etc.. I don't mind. I have 2 other partners, one who is heading the glass dept (which she funds doing the stain glass and etching), I fund everything else at present and the other contributes by working hours or a "silent partner". Knock on wood, it is working out great so far. Our different backgrounds has played a big part in helping our company grow. I am always will to learn and if I can, willing to share my knowledge when possible; lots of things that as we say," Well, ^&%&^$^& I wish someone would have told me that (lol)."