pumice to a sugar scrub?

katshe

I've never tried pumice, but I do sometimes add a little jojoba beads for a bit extra scruffy. I also like to use a lot of the demerrara sugar in addition to white sugar. Seems to hold up better for me.

I would think that pumice would be way too scrubbie. I use it in my foot scrubs and would not IMO like it in a scrub. It would to me feel like sandpaper against my skin. Ouchie, ouchie, ouchie.

As has been suggested, use a different sugar. I personally like a combo of turbinado sugar and regular white sugar.

I have played around with pumice in scrubs. Even finely ground pumice is VERY scratchy. It only took me washing my hands off 2 or 3 times to say no way. After how it made my hands feel, I was afraid I would come out of the shower looking like I was in a fight with a cat and lost lol

I do like straight brown sugar for my face and a combo of turbinado (bought at Walmart) and brown sugar for the body. I have 2 different scrubs I offer. One for those with sensitive skin who don't like it real scratchy and those who like the different sugar textures. I tried organic sugar (bought at Kroger) as well. I don't know why but it ended up a mushy looking mess in my scrub. I had to totally ditch that batch. Domino Sugar has a Demerara Sugar. I can't remember which store I saw it at though. I picked it up and looked at it but didn't get it. I am going to have to buy it now to see how I like it.

Back to pumice, a little pumice in a scrub is nice for the feet though.

I've never had a problem with the sugar dissolving in my sugar scrubs--of course I put the same weight sugar as the weight of the oils and, boy, is it scrubby forever! Love it, love it, love it.

If you add pumice to your scrub be sure to warn AGAINST using it on the face. It's far too abrasive for faces. :undecided

I was thinking about trying out bamboo powder for scrubs. Sugar is just too scrubby for me, but then I've got finicky skin, I get hives if I'm too rough.

http://www.brambleberry.com/seeds.html (right at the bottom)

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=herbbanslochan

Usually FNWL has ickier prices, but for some reason they're WAY cheaper than BB on this.

I use fine pumice in one particular body scrub I make...I think the trick for using fine pumice along with sugar in a scrub is to use a light hand when adding it. Don't add too much. You just want to add enough to give it a light polishing feel. If you add too much... of course it will be way too scratchy...

My Walmart has started carrying the demarrara sugar. I also use the turbinado and brown. I'm not having a problem with the sugar dissolving in my scrubs.

By dissolving I mean when using it in the shower, starts out nice but dissovles quicker than i can scrub. , gonna try a different sugar and may be try a little pumice or maybe make a seperate body polish.

thanks for all the input it was very helpful.

I was thinking about trying out bamboo powder for scrubs.

What an interesting ingredient for a scrub. I'm thinking of bamboo powder for my regular everyday facial cleanser--I'm currently using honey powder, a titch of kaolin, and liquid soap. But bamboo powder, hmmmmm. :rolleyes2

I recently was looking around the web and came across a sugar scrub ingredient list that said to use Turbinado sugar and then in parenthesis it said Demerrara... as though these two were the same thing??? That surprised me as i've been using the Turbinado bought at my local grocery store all along... wishing I could get my hands on the Dem type as i've heard good things about it. I like the turbinado very much, but I do wish it was pure white. It is actually a very lt tan. Not as dark as brown or raw sugar at all and is very close in texture to regular sugar but just slightly larger ground. My grocery store sells it as a Mexican food ingredient/ Domino type sugar alternative. Does anybody know, who has seen these both, if they are the same thing or not. :confused:

Luci, I think your posts mentioned that your walmart sells both. Can you give us a physical comparison of the two?

How wierd that the turbinado you're using Blazerina is different than what I'm using.

Mine is coarse granules/crystals, made by C&H (name brand sugar).

It is a light tan but I color mine to coordinate with the scent (whatever color I'm using in the same scent shower gel etc.) Except for vanilla types etc. I just leave it the tan color in those cases.

It IS quite scrubby especially combined with how much reg. Sugar I use (a TON), so I don't use much.

I also put a disclaimer on mine that people who may have sensitive skin probably shouldn't use it daily or on their faces.

Those that use brown sugar have got me curious- doesn't it have a strong scent? I know that even the light brown sugar that I buy for baking does. (C&H brand) and it's super sticky.

I've never seen Dem. Sugar guess I should do a search and check it out.

I'm glad that you like the pumice you added Katshe. I've never used it in body or face scrubs b/c it just reminds me of something one would use on feet! LoL I really don't see that it's really any more scrubby than reg. White sugar, if it's pumice powder, and it doesn't dissolve, so if it works for ya, go for it!

I guess it is more crystal like than white sugar, but small cyrstals? In my mind im trying to compare it to something much bigger... maybe i'm thinking epsom salts.

Ok, I just tried to google it to get a pic and a better description for ya'll but apparently 'Azucar Moreno' which is what the bag listed as ingredients simply means 'Brown Sugar'. I kind of figured that but there is no way this is 'normal' brown sugar. Mexican brown sugar -maybe. It is sooo much lighter in color and dry like regular sugar, where as our normal brown sugar tends to be moist. But also, it is apparently a musical group, lol.:rolleyes2 Didn't feel like fishing through all that so I'll just have to go by memory, until I can pick up another bag in town.

I've used normal brown sugar in a scrub before and surprisingly it's not sticky. Maybe it's the addition of an oil that cuts the sticky? I didn't really like it though because you are limited on scents- kind of have to stay in the bakery/vanilla line, and it tends to pack pretty densely. Also doesn't look to great, lol. But I like a lively light airy loose and or colorful or interesting to look at scrub.

Whoa- rewind! Do you know what? It just hit me! I purchased turbinado at the same time as the Azucar Moreno. The Turbinado was from bulk and the other was in a bag. I completely forgot about having gotten two different kinds. It just smacked me in the head... the vision of a little plastic unmarked veggie bag with about a handful of a medium brown larger crystal sugar sitting left over. Not enough to do much of anything with especially since i'd decided I don't like the look of the brown in a scrub. You are absolutely right Michi. I totally was talking/thinking about two different things. I called it turbinado and was picturing the mexican sugar.

So for clarification... I didn't like the turbinado because of the darker color. But I do like the larger crystals. And so I still wonder, if 'Turbinado' comes in a more refined white version and would that then be the same as the Demerrara sugar- or is Dem sugar also dk colored?

Sorry for the confusion folks.

• 4 months later...

OK ladies.. I know this post is a little old, but here comes some baking experience to answer a couple questions...

Demerara Sugar was originally named after a colony in Guyana, who originally made this type of sugar (else where called Turbinado) for bulk sale. Most sugars called Demerara are now made somewhere else though the name seems to have stuck.

It has that yummy brown color because of the way its made... the cane being boiled and then crushed to release the 'juice' and then spread out and left to dry. The boiling/steaming process slightly caramelizes the sugar crystals giving it that brownish color.

If your looking for larger crystals in the more refined white version try looking for Sanding Sugar, it has a much larger crystal size and is usually used on cakes and the like as a large 'glitter' type thing. They can also be gotten in a variety of pre-colored crystals.

Hope this answers some questions... Gee can ya tell I took a ton of cooking classes at the ed-connect school back home??

----

Libby