wholesale/customer complaint

I had my wholesale account call with a complaint today. He took 2 of my candles home and burned them and said they were smoking really bad. Also said that 2 customers came by with the same complaint. I test all my products and never had this problem. I went by and looked at the candle that he said was the issue and the jar was black (soot) on the top rim. My first question to him was did he trim the wick. He said no that he had never heard of that before and I referred him to my warning label on the bottom of the jar that states to trim to 1/4 inch to avoid excessive smoking. He was satisifed with that answer and will tell his customers who buy my candles to trim the wick. However, I have decided that since these 16 ounce JJ have been slow sellers for me and him that after I sell out of my current stock of jars that I will discontinue the 16 ounce jar size. They aren't selling well and then people aren't trimming wicks. The 8 ounce size we do not have problems with and they are selling like hot cakes. My thing here is....do you guys think I'm doing the right thing if something isn't selling well then to just discontinue that product or does that look bad after customers have complained? I think I responded correctly by asking about the wicks. What is your take on this?

I personally won't have any qualms about discontinuing a product that is not selling well. I also think that your response to the complaint was very professional. Educating your wholesale buyers about the proper use of your candles is very important as you've discovered since they will pass that along to their customers avoiding any future complaints.

Yes, I know what you mean about lugging them. However, I just didn't want people to think something along the lines of....she had a problem so she quit carrying them or that I was selling a bad product. It's NOT that my product is bad, it's that customer knowledge is lack. Even my website states that by purchasing my candles, you are accepting my safety recommendations. www.texascandlefactory.net.

Well, that is what we have on our website. that we will offer the 16 ounce but have plans to discontinue them due to lack of sales and that if anyone is interested in them, we can still make them but that they can't be found at our shows or on our store wholesalers shelves for that reason.(slow sales)

Oh...also, my wholesaler is taking of just selling them for cost if he has to so that he can liquidate them. If that is what ends up happening then I figure it looks like he choose to do it and not carry them and not so much me. I'm just getting a good image with clients and I don't want to ruin it if you know what I mean....anyway, I'm off to BCS to pick up a shipment now.