Hi! Newbie here & I want to make sure i have things straight before starting!

Hi!

First, I just wanted to say that i really enjoy this message board, and i am really impressed with the photo gallery and seeing what you guys can do! It's really been an inspiration!

With that, allow me to ask my question....or questions :)

i ordered a votive candle making kit from cierra candles and got it today. i've spent the last few weeks researching candle making and feel i have a pretty good grasp on it, but i want to make sure i am actually understanding the info correctly, if ya know what i mean, before i start.

So i got 1/2 slab CW 129, IGI 4616 blended container wax and i want to make votives (2oz). I only want to make about 8-12 to start so if i mess up i haven't completely wasted my entire kit.

so my first question is how much wax is recommended to melt for about 8 -12 votives? and how much FO is required? i have the little 1 oz bottles of different aromatherapy scents. Does one 1oz bottle make only 8 votives?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to posting more in the future.

Alycia

Howdy and welcome to the board :)

I've never used that wax, but being a container wax, I hope it will unmold without sticking. Most wont, but since it came as a kit, they should know.

Now is where the math comes in. 8 votives @ 2oz ea is 16 oz, 1 lb of wax. Normally I make an extra couple ounces for spilling room...lol. So, for me anyway, I would plan on it being 7 votives. Normally you'll use 1 oz FO per lb of wax. Some waxes will hold more or less, but that is average. Remember, it all goes by weight. These are not fluid ounces.

You say aromatherapy scents... are these essential oils or fragrance oils?

And a new addiction begins! :laugh2:

hi ducky!

thanks for clarifying :)

i believe i got the fragrance oils. on the site and my invoice it doesnt say anything about essential oils, its listed as fragrance. will that make a difference though, if it is one or the other with the scents of the candles?

thanks!

If it says fragrance, then they probably are. You would also likely know, because they're much more expensive! But, yes, it makes a difference. EOs don't throw scent near as well in wax because they're not designed for that purpose, or at least it seems like that's what I've read here. I haven't tried because the recommendation was not to. We do have a couple people here who are experienced with EOs and maybe they'll chime in.

I've actually played softly with essential oils and it totally depends upon the strength of the oil itself.

I tried some Birchwood, which has a deep peppermint smell to it, only used a few drops and my entire apartment at the time smelled of it anytime that I burned the candle. The oil blended well in the wax and I didn't have any problems at all with the candle itself.

I'll eventually move to more deeper experimentation with essential oils, I'm currently attempting to get my certification as an aromatherapist. I guess I know what my spot is here when I move to that eventually, it's a debate that's been raging now for a while.

4616 is actually for votives OR containers. :) It has awesome throw as a container wax, but sooted like crazy for me. :embarasse I never tried it for votives.

1 lb of wax will make about 7 votives. :grin2:

BTW, Cierra doesn't sell EO's. :D