I have a few soap making questions

deb12c

I am posting a picture and have some questions

soap.jpg

On my list of ingredients is this ok? Or is there something in there that I should not use? Too many different ingredients? I want to make a 5 pound batch. Do I have to figure the water in with the batch? I am sorry I know that is a dumb question but this is my first time making soap. Or should I say attempting to make soap. :)

I also wanted to ask about the water and the lye...

It says use 20 - 30 ounces of liquid. That is the water right? And that is a 10 ounce difference, how much should I use? Would anything between 20-30 be okay? I know it may set up faster if I go on the low side and use 20 but not sure what to do.

On the lye chart without having any feedback I would use 10.46 in the low side of the green range, is that ok? What would you do?

Hi Deb. Being new to soaping as well, I'm just going to say that I would hesitate to use any recipe with that many different ingredients on my first batch. I found a very basic recipe by doing a search here and used it for my first attempt just to insure that things went well. I don't remember the name, but it was 4 different oils, 25% each.

Hopefully some of the experienced people will be able to give you some advice.:)

I personally think your recipe is unnecessarily complex. Start with something more simple like Darwin's Basic recipe in the recipe section. The jojoba is in at such a low level I doubt it contributes much, and I wouldn't bother with Fractionated Coconut Oil - just stick to regular. Aloe Vera & Avocado Butter are expensive for early on batches IMO.

Regarding the water amount, the lower you go the faster things move for you. I'd say stick near the upper end of the range - I personally recommend a 28% lye solution for new recipes and newish soapers, which would be about 28 oz of water in this case. However, in the future recipes for with a ton of olive oil you may want to decrease the water!

On the lye chart, the TYPICAL level for superfatting is 5-6% (lye 10.61 - 10.89 oz), and with your gentle recipe (50% olive oil) I'd say this is perfectly adequate.

Don't be surprised if it is slow to trace - Olive Oil does that. But it'll give you plenty of time to futz around. I do recommend a stick blender though!

Enjoy!

I also would never recommend that large of a batch for your first batch. If it goes bad, you're tossing a lot of good oils out the window. I had two totally ruined, unusable batches of soap before I called in help, and finally made a batch of usable soap.

My recommendations....

1. Start smaller. If it's a matter of the size mold you had, then just grab a small box (the USPS 7x7x6 boxes hold 20 oz in about a 1 inch thickness), line it with a garbage liner, and use it. Don't worry right now about it being pretty. It's not like you're going to be selling it. Right now you're just trying to make a usable soap.

2. Start simpler. Basic oils, simpler percentages, LESS oils. Out of the oils you have listed, I'd say keep the Olive, Palm Kernel, then probably the Almond and a little bit of Shea. Take out the butters. They're an expensive loss if the batch goes bad. Also, you have Fractionated Coconut Oil listed. This usually isn't used in soaping. Find some regular Coconut Oil. That will add lather to your soaps.

Once you've had several basic batches turn out well for you, then try adding a butter. See how it feels. If you add a bunch of different exotic ingredients all at once, you won't know what did what in terms of making it better, or (knock on wood) make the batch go south on you.

We all know how anxious you are to make soap, and to make the most amazing soap possible. But start a little slower, learn the basics with basic materials, then start adding in all the good stuff once you have the actual soap making down. Formulating your own recipe is a lot of fun, but we don't expect beginners to do it.

Let us know how it turns out! :yay:

Is castor seed oil the same as castor oil? I am trying to order my ingredients and they don't have castor oil just the castor seed oil. And is Coconut Oil 76 Degree the same as Coconut oil? It is cheaper than the extra virgin coconut oil organic, but if that is what I need that is what I will get.

I am sorry I have so many questions.

Castor Seed Oil is the same as Castor Oil. The official INCI for Castor has seed in it.

76 Coconut is what most of us use. There is also 90 something, but it's partially hydrogenated. The numbers refer to the melting point. 76 melts at 76 degrees, so it's very easy to use, especially in the summer. My bucket is usually slushy in the summer.

It's also cheaper than the organic or the virgin. HTH! Let us know how it goes!

Thank you SoapersWorkshop I will order my supplies today. It may still be awhile before I can make it but I will let you know how it turns out. I made bath bombs for the first time the other night and got really lucky, not one of them cracked and they are very hard. I am not crazy about the scent I chose but that is no biggie. And the scent was better (calmer) when I used it in the tub. Next time I will use some other EO. I used peppermint and not crazy about it :)

Deb, I'm a soaping newbie. My very 1st batch is curing right now. I would recommend going to classroom and reading thru Soap Class by Eugenia.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61107

In fact that may be a good 1st recipe for you. I think it is pretty hard to screw it up. I ended up with soap and had never done CP before.

Soap is like anything else new you try. Simple is better until you understand the basics.