Testing JJ's

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get opinions on how you go about testing your jars before selling. Do you power burn, like most customers may do or to you play by the rules and trim the wicks, burn for "blank hours" depending on the width of the jar, ect? My JJ's are doing pretty well, but by the time it gets lower the flame is dancing even though I trim the wick. It's perfect until it gets lower than 1/2 full. Do you burn to the very bottom or stop when there is 1/2" left of wax? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks. Oh I'm using Perfect Blend and CD 10 wicks in the JJ's.

I personally test them the way they should be burning. Then I tell the customer the burn time for proper burning. And I also tell them that they will get less time if they don't clip their wicks and keep out of a draft. Many of them don't even know to do this. They never read the caution label. I didn't either before I started making them.

Yep - a LOT of discussion has gone on about testing and powerburning. I do both because customers WILL powerburn no matter if we duct tape them in a chair, tape their eyes open and force them to watch a slide show of candle instructions, then take a test and get 100% before we tattoo the instructions on the inside of their eyelids, rip off the tape and hand them their bag of our candles!*faint*

But powerburning should NEVER be a substitute for careful, controlled testing. AFTER the careful testing is complete, THEN ya powerburn to make sure things are tweaked just right. ALL testing should be done to the bitter end of the candle (unless the wick drowns or looks like a gas flare on an oil platform), elsewise, how do you know how it will perform? Sure aggravates me to have a candle drown out with half the thing left... makes me think I just paid twice as much as I should have for the candle!! Test burning all the way to the bottom will also tell you if your wick tabs are doing their job and self-extinguishing correctly or if the glue is coming unsealed at high temps and allowing the wick to suck liquid wax until there's not a drop left (very dangerous)!

Wick for the bottom third of the container. HTH :)

I test burn them any and every way you can think of...I power burn...I trim..I dont trim...I burn for an hour...or 10hrs...and then i test them they way they are suppose to be burned...if they survive all my torture then I know I have a keeper!!!!:rolleyes2