gel question on pies please help

momtohaley2004

New to gel using I have a few questions for those of you who have already used this for a while. I bought some pie molds from van yulay that allow me to make inserts (fruit) to put inside of a 5 inch pie crust. This allows for a faster way (for me) to make pies than having to use a lot of individual fruit, etc. Well, after the pie crust is made and the insert (I have made cherry, blueberry and peach), I put the insert into the pie crust. To make it look more realistic I want to add a little gel ontop. NOT SCENTED gel just regular melted gel enough to make it look more realistic. My question involves my oils. According to my suppliers website it says that the cherry and blueberry oils are not gel safe. Could I still use the gel ontop the inserts if I'm not actually putting the fo into the gel and not using much gel to start with? I AM NOT scenting the gel just pouring it over the pie for a glosssy and realistic looking finish. Before I did pour anything though, I wanted to ask those who had experience with this type of thing as to not have too much to worry about although I do intend to still test burn. Would this cause a problem with my inserts, etc or would it just be a matter of test and see? Any advise/help would greatly be appreciated and I hope I have explained my situation and question well enough for everyone. TIA.

We use a different approach to this and only use non polar fragrance for all of our wax products that will contain gel of any proportion in the finished product. (Whether the gel is scented or not). When burning, all components combine in the melt pool and there could be a safety concern in my opinion.

Wendy

We use a different approach to this and only use non polar fragrance for all of our wax products that will contain gel of any proportion in the finished product. (Whether the gel is scented or not). When burning, all components combine in the melt pool and there could be a safety concern in my opinion.

Wendy

Ditto. I wouldn't use gel if you are not using non-polar fragrances. Like Wendy stated, when burning, everything gets combined in the melt pool. Not good.

HAve to disagree based on experience. There is not enough gel there to cause problems...and if you have burned your pies you will see that the gel and wax seperate when cooled. We aren't talking gel pies with a lot of gel poured over the embeds but wax pies with just a bit of gel on top of them...makes a big difference.

No problem with disagreeing however there is always room for more opinions and as there is no industry standards where these products are concerned product producers must follow what they feel is correct and safe.

We have been "burning" our pies, been in business since 1999 making them so have test burned many over the years and using non polar fragrancing for any aspect where gel is concerned is something we decided very early on.

Not willing to take the chance when it is simple to create something that in our opinion is a safer product.

Everyone must make their own decision as to what they feel comfortable with.

Wendy

I agree about disagreement:cheesy2: I think that instead of scaring people though common sense should be used...when you mix your wax with scent the scent is incorporated into the wax ...then if you add a tiny bit of unscented gel to the top after the wax is cooled you do not have enough gel to cause a problem. That gel is not going to mix in with the wax enough to matter, the fo from the wax is not enough even melted to cause a problem because it is incorporated into the wax.

This really is not that difficult or that mysterious.

I have been making and selling for over 12 years myself...nothing goes out untested or without great thought or I wouldn't still be in business. I am tired of people trying to scare others and being self righteous about how proper they are. Good grief it's a candle pie made of wax with a tiny bit of gel on top...polar fo's aren't needed ... good for you that you use them in every wax but it is just not necessary in this case.

First in the melt pool gel does not seperate out after being burned sorry it mixes if you do not believe me make a candle with diamond dust glitter and watch your melt pool. That will prove the mixing actions very clearly.

Now on to do I think personaly the FO in the regular wax need to be nonpolar if all you are doing is pouring a little unscented gel accross the top No but the question remain why would you pour unscented gel along the top? If it is unscented that will inhibit the cold throw so you customer will think it is a weak candle and most likely not buy.

Now would I put polar FO in my regular wax and pour gel over the top the answer to that is No I would rather error on the side of caution.

Well, you are putting just a bit on there to make it look juicy..you aren't covering the whole top...so you are using such a small amount it doesn't affect the melt pool at all. And I have burned many many pies and the gel separates from the embed wax...I could send you one if you'd like to see it:cheesy2:

Now I don't advise using nonpolar fo's in gel, it does cloud it up and I don't like the look at all....and if this was more than just a tad of gel I wouldn't recommend it either but as it is it is fine. Like I said, common sense.

I am not self righteous, I do have common sense and am not a scaremonger. I stated very clearly in my post this was our method and material use of making this particular product, I did not state yours was wrong, in fact said it was a personal choice of the candlemaker to choose what they felt comfortable with.

I was under the impression this board was for everyones opinions and experience and I offered mine. If it is not inline with yours fine, so be it. We accept your opinion just as being different than ours, it is unfortunate you cannot do the same.

Wendy

Surely do not remember mentioning you by name......and if you are so sure of yourself why are you so defensive? People usually get defensive when something hits close to home...so if as you say " I am not self righteous, I do have common sense and am not a scaremonger." Then it shouldn't have bothered you.

I do not have a problem with you having a different opinion than mine...even when what you do is unnecessary it is your choice to go the extra mile or so....and good for you for doing it.