Pine cones

Its getting close to that time of year, and I love it! Whats your favorite wax to dip pine cones. Last year I used Astro V and it worked. But I have a few other waxes this year that I might try. What wax do you all like? Just curious. I've got to make a few pine cone baskets this week end coming up. I like doing Xmas stuff.

I used a coffee can to melt the wax, and then dipped the cones in to coat. Lay them out on waxed paper to dry and then re-dip. The more you dip the whiter they get so that they look snow covered. On the last dip, while they are still sticky I sprinkled some of them with silver glitter. Thats how I did mine. I made baskets of them and decorated with little christmassy type things. Everyone loved them. I made a few and pput ribbons on them to hang on my tree too!

I used to just love pine cones (well....I still do)....but I live in a city that actually has to put signs up that say "Watch out for falling pine cones".....really funny. Everyone here decorates with them. They scare the heck out of me when the hit our metal roof. Sounds like a bomb going off (smile)... I probably should sell them on ebay. We have millions of the large sized ones. Might just have to dip a few this year. Donita

I used to just love pine cones (well....I still do)....but I live in a city that actually has to put signs up that say "Watch out for falling pine cones".....really funny. Everyone here decorates with them. They scare the heck out of me when the hit our metal roof. Sounds like a bomb going off (smile)... I probably should sell them on ebay. We have millions of the large sized ones. Might just have to dip a few this year. Donita

Let me know if you sell some on ebay. All I can find around here are really small ones.

I use the 1343 wax. I may try palm wax this year as I have so much of it that I am not using.

Ohhhh I didn't even think of my palm wax. I bet that would look like frost or frozen snow on the tips.

Thanks for the idea!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried it in glass glow and it looks really cool. I dont know what a covered pine cone looks like. I have searched this site and can not get a pic to save my life. I was thinking of putting the cone on a xmas plate shrink wrapp it and sell a few at my next shows. What do you think?? Any pics would be so helpful..

I just burned a whole wheelbarrow full of pine cones last night.

:tiptoe:

What were you thinking!!! You could have sold them easily!!! I just bought some from a lady in Georgia! Usually Geogia Pine Cones are huge........these weren't that big, I guess because of the drought this year! But they are still ok. I love Pine Cones!!!!!

What were you thinking!!! You could have sold them easily!!! I just bought some from a lady in Georgia! Usually Geogia Pine Cones are huge........these weren't that big, I guess because of the drought this year! But they are still ok. I love Pine Cones!!!!!

Sorry!!!!! I don't like stepping on them when I'm out in the yard. I just burned three wheelbarrows full yesterday. If you lived close enough I'd let you have them. :smiley2: