Strong B&B scent search!

candlelady

OK, I've figured on 10 scents for my new website, but 3 of them, are requiring to be stronger by my testers, Moonlight Path, Bedtime Bath and Phoenix.

What other softer scents is everyone getting? I'm using 1 oz. per pound in the soap (by MichellOH), and doing the FBB, now the lotions are great! All very potent. But the soap and FBB are so weak, my testers are asking for more scent. Should I up to 2 oz. in the FBB and soap?

I'm not a soaper, but was wondering if 2 oz. per lb. is too much!

What other spa type scents is everyone doing well with? Blue Sugar...? OK, so, I'm asking a no-no, but if someone could point me to a website that has FOs great in soap, just let me know, and I'll order some samples.

Thanks in advance,

Carrie

Always follow the recommended amount per the manufacturer.

I am a little confused. You said you are not a soaper but want to know if you can add 2 oz pp of fo. I have never had to add more then 1 oz pp to mine. Most of the time I use .5 to .7 oz pp. Soap fragrances most of the time don't linger as they are a wash off product. Are they looking for the scent to remain on their skin?

As far as the fbb I think it is about 3% to 5 % that you can add to it. I don't think I have ever gone that high. Again it is a wash off product so the scent will not remain.

The scents I use do very well in my area but may not do well in yours. My customers seem to love herbal scents and fruity scents, as well as musk scents, Patchouli, Lavender, sandalwood and nag champa are always good sellers for me. You have to find out which scents goes best to your area.

I took it she is having someone else make the soap...

I think 2 ounce per lb is too much. If you find a good scent for soap, 1 ounce per lb is usually MORE than enough.

Also, scent in soap isn't meant to stay on the skin, it is supposed to rinse away with the soap, so your testers might have been expecting more scent to linger...same with the fbb...so you might just need to let them know a heavy lingering scent, as with a leave on product, is acheived by layering your products with a lotion or body spray applied last to acheive a longer lasting lingering scent.

HTH!

Doh! In my defense, it wasn't worded very well with the "I'm using..." statement.

I would expect the experienced soaper who is making the products to be able to answer this. I would never go over 1 oz. per lb. Hmmm...now, 1 oz. per lb in FBB and lotions (I hope not!) is high. Usual recommendations are 1-3% for leave on products and I personally do not exceed that for wash off except soap. 1 oz pp is double or triple the norm.

As for soap, I would never recommend exceeding 1 oz per pound of oils. Assuming that the scent of the soap (not the scent remaining on the skin) is soft, then the oil is most likely not a good one to use in soap making. Soap making is a nasty harsh environment, and if the FO doesn't survive, then the manufacturer goes back, tweaks different elements of the FO, and hope that the new results work better in soap.

And a note to Carrie, as for making scents stronger in your soaps, you really should be asking your soap maker, not us. She may be using less than 1 oz, and can up it. Since we don't have access to her exact recipes, we can't know that. Talk to her, see if she can help you out. With the FBB and lotion, don't go above the recommended usage rates for the FOs. They're there for a reason, so make sure you abide by them.

And I can sympathize. I'm working on a deal right now with an exclusive scent blend for a customer in soap. He wants the scent to stay on his skin after his shower. So he wants me to make it stronger than it already is (which is absolutely overwhelming to me, as well as pretty much everyone but him). I really can't go above what I'm adding already.